What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16666
    Bad Teacher.
    Well, it's a Bad Movie but it did have some funny parts.
    My Week With Marilyn ( that right?).
    It was on and I didn't mean to watch it but got drawn in. Some nice performances and touches.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    goldtop said:
    Saw Grand Budapest Hotel. Beautiful treat for the eyes, rambling storyline for the brain. Fiennes is brilliant, and Jude Law tolerable. F Murray Abraham has incredibly big ears.
    I liked it a lot. Brilliant, and quite dark - more than I expected, but I like dark.

Fiennes is great, but Willem Dafoe steals it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Watched a couple more last night. Barefoot, a sweet romantic type thing, remake of a German film. Date and Switch, pretty funny, and deals with homosexuality in a refreshing manner.
    My V key is broken
  • KerpunkKerpunk Frets: 75
    boogieman said:
    Limitless. Last night on the box. Not bad at all.
    I really like that film. I went into it expecting it to be shit but I was very wrong.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Never Let Me Go.

I hated it and it made me blub a little "yyyrrrr grit-in-myeye....", I lost sleep over it and I woke up in the middle of the night a few nights afterwards knowing why it felt so uncomfortable to watch, this is an excellent and tragic story. I'm still mulling it over. 10/10
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    I recommend the book, if you've not read it.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    edited March 2014
    Thor 2

Loki is more desperate for the throne than Charles!

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8102
    I watched Prisoners - what a bloody good tense drama - far better than I was expecting, did it do well at the cinema? Very much recommended.
    Red ones are better. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25557
    The Wolverine.

I had not heard good things, but it was cheap.

I rather enjoyed it. It was actually story driven rather than a slice fest. I'm not pretending it was high art, but I thought it was much much better than 90% of the Marvel stuff.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Finally got around to watching 'Wolf Creek' - well-done enough horror with enough unpredictability to keep you guessing, but still pretty forumlaic and certainly not the 'scariest film of the decade' or whatever gush was on the front of the DVD case. Watchable, should you pick it up for a couple of quid or something.
  • frankus said:
    Never Let Me Go.

I hated it and it made me blub a little "yyyrrrr grit-in-myeye....", I lost sleep over it and I woke up in the middle of the night a few nights afterwards knowing why it felt so uncomfortable to watch, this is an excellent and tragic story. I'm still mulling it over. 10/10
    Had to watch this again when it was on TV, having seen it at the cinema when it came out, having been introduced to the book by my better half.

As @Lixarto says, the book is excellent.
    I was also reduced to tears by the film, yet again.

Powerful, dark, thought-provoking stuff.

We do likes us a bit of "grim" in our house :)

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Noted I shall dig out the Seroxat and read the book ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Not a film (as such, although there is one on this subject that I haven't seen and would like to) but I recently acquired a box set of the BBC early 70s Colditz series. Finished watching them recently.

Respect to the men who both put up with being there, and escaped from it.

A scene I remember from the TV, which I must have missed on the DVD (maybe by being tired & snoozing for a few minutes), was when the Kommandant asked if anyone would like to work for the Germans and a Frenchman stepped forward. Bristly reaction from everyone else. Frenchie said "I would rather work for 100 Germans than one Frenchman". The Kommandant asked his occupation and he said "Undertaker" ;)

It wasn't a comedy show but that was one of the bits that stuck in my mind. My dad had a copy of Pat Reid's book, which I read. Maybe my mum still has it, I'll have to ask her.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    Not a film (as such, although there is one on this subject that I haven't seen and would like to) but I recently acquired a box set of the BBC early 70s Colditz series. Finished watching them recently.

A scene I remember from the TV, which I must have missed on the DVD (maybe by being tired & snoozing for a few minutes), was when the Kommandant asked if anyone would like to work for the Germans and a Frenchman stepped forward. Bristly reaction from everyone else. Frenchie said "I would rather work for 100 Germans than one Frenchman". The Kommandant asked his occupation and he said "Undertaker" ;)

It wasn't a comedy show but that was one of the bits that stuck in my mind. My dad had a copy of Pat Reid's book, which I read. Maybe my mum still has it, I'll have to ask her.
    The only one that sticks in my mind was where one of them pretends to be going mad and actually turns himself mad. I often wondered if that was actually possible ( fairly sure that was Colditz, this is a rather distant memory!).
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794

The only one that sticks in my mind was where one of them pretends to be going mad and actually turns himself mad. I often wondered if that was actually possible ( fairly sure that was Colditz, this is a rather distant memory!).
    You are correct Sir. It happened. Col. Preston forbade any future similar attempts.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4268
    Caught up with a few lately, 12 yrs a Slave. worthy but poor , American Hustle, no Silver Linings Playbook but enjoyable , Rush, awesome film and a nice job by Hemsworth . Looking forward to Sin City 2 and have to agree with the consensus, Prometheus was God-awful, maybe a 3 hr Directors Cut version in the pipeline ?
    I watched a bit of Sharknado the other day. I was wondering what the hell I was looking at and looked it up on IMDb and found this review:

It started out as some drug dealing people or something, I wasn't really paying attention, and the Asian guy was like pew pew, and the other guy was like pew pew, and the sharks were like nm nm, and the crewmen were like AAAAAAAAAAAH! Then the sharks came on land and were like om nm nm!! And they were eating everyone and this reporter got eaten by a flying shark and then BAM! SHARK TORNADO! Oh yea, a bartender lady killed a shark with a cue stick somehow. And the sharks were flying and eating stuff and this guy got eaten but chainsawed his way out and VRRRRRM! He found some lady in there and they dropped bombs in the tornado cause yo lo and stuff. The shotgunned flying sharks, it was the best movie. Ever. I recommend it to everyone ever.

Remarkably accurate. If you have read that you now have no need ( despite the recomendation in the last line) to ever watch it. And, let's face it, even if you didn't read thatyou still probably have no need to watch it.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25557
    I watched a bit of Sharknado the other day. I was wondering what the hell I was looking at and looked it up on IMDb and found this review:

It started out as some drug dealing people or something, I wasn't really paying attention, and the Asian guy was like pew pew, and the other guy was like pew pew, and the sharks were like nm nm, and the crewmen were like AAAAAAAAAAAH! Then the sharks came on land and were like om nm nm!! And they were eating everyone and this reporter got eaten by a flying shark and then BAM! SHARK TORNADO! Oh yea, a bartender lady killed a shark with a cue stick somehow. And the sharks were flying and eating stuff and this guy got eaten but chainsawed his way out and VRRRRRM! He found some lady in there and they dropped bombs in the tornado cause yo lo and stuff. The shotgunned flying sharks, it was the best movie. Ever. I recommend it to everyone ever.

Remarkably accurate. If you have read that you now have no need ( despite the recomendation in the last line) to ever watch it. And, let's face it, even if you didn't read thatyou still probably have no need to watch it.

Don't you worry - it's coming back

"The Second One" was the winner of a competition to find the strap line!

:D

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Awesome. I shall look forward to not watching that one all the way through either.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    I watched Enders Game the other night.........wish I didn't. Really quite bad. I've not read the book which is supposed to be much better (aren't they all?).

Transcendence on the other hand..........that looks brilliant. Also getting slightly excited about the big green lizard film coming in two months time. Fingers crossed I can purge the other one from my mind forever, never have I been soo let down (well matrix reloaded perhaps)
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.