What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Lixarto said:
    Thor the dark world : just fun, more of the same really.
    I thought this was deeply shit - totally predictable, mostly terrible acting and a total waste of the best actor they had (Eccleston). Very disappointing.
    Eccleston was the best Actor... was there any scenery left unchewed?
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    TimmyO said:
    Ender's Game - brilliant scifi. I'm going to read the Orson Scott Card books on the strength of it. 

It's a shame the author is such a deeply unpleasant man.
    Well if you will take free red wines from complete strangers you should expect to wake up with a sore arse ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    I've not read them or anything, but: does it matter?

I suspect Mr Blackmore is probably not the easiest man to get along with, but boy he's a great musician.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 565
    Battle Los Angeles - decent scifi action nonsense.

RED - a lot better than I expected (and I really didn't expect much)
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25557
    Lixarto said:
    I've not read them or anything, but: does it matter?

I suspect Mr Blackmore is probably not the easiest man to get along with, but boy he's a great musician.

I'm quite happy to split art from artist. But I'm also happier to go to the library and get out his books so he doesn't get any money from me.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ha :D
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited March 2014
    12 Years a Slave:  Harrowing and almost impossible to watch (for me).

Philomena: Much better than I was expecting. Gentle and moving.

Captain Phillips: A disappointment. The Pirates were not even in costume.    :-S

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    edited March 2014
    I was subjected to a Piggyback movie "2012 Doomsday"

My friend bought it on bluray from poundland, and was somewhat staggered that a bluray disc could be soo cheap......Until we watched it.

A piggyback film for those who don't know, is a film produced by a low budget studio which aims to "piggyback" the marketing of an upcoming major release. So 2012 Doomsday was cashing in on 2012. I've yet to see Atlantic Rim or Transmorphers.

2012 Doomsday was indeed terrible, 1.7 on IMDB. Literally no cohesive plot god awful.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • Watched Event Horizon again for the first time in years.  I know it has some knockers but for a 17 year old sci-fi film I think it holds up pretty well.

Also watched Trance.  Pretty good all round.  A fair few twists and well worth a viewing.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319

Watched Event Horizon again for the first time in years.  I know it has some knockers but for a 17 year old sci-fi film I think it holds up pretty well.

Also watched Trance.  Pretty good all round.  A fair few twists and well worth a viewing.

I just saw the words 'knockers' and '17 year old' in the same sentence and got slightly excited ;) 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited March 2014

IanSavage said:

Watched Event Horizon again for the first time in years.  I know it has some knockers but for a 17 year old sci-fi film I think it holds up pretty well.

I just saw the words 'knockers' and '17 year old' in the same sentence and got slightly excited ;) 
    Well Trance does have knockers of the other sort but they're at least twice that age.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    I watched the new "Walter Mitty" last night.

Fucking painful. Avoid.
  • The23rdmanThe23rdman Frets: 101
    Just watched Apollo 18 and Europa Report. Variations on a theme, but I enjoyed the tension in both of them.
  • The23rdmanThe23rdman Frets: 101
    Oh, also watched Safety Not Guaranteed last night. That was excellent, combining sci-fi, quirky relationships and odd characters. Really recommend that one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I have just watched the 2002 remake of dystopian sci-fi classic Rollerball.  Where to start on this one.  It is absolutely awful. The lead role of Jonathan Cross, played by Chris Klein (you may have seen him in American Pie) is a bargain bin Keanu Reeves.  There is nothing about his character that made me care about what happened to him. His acting is flippin' awful too.  He makes a very unlikely action hero: In fact he doesn't make an action hero, unlikely or not.

There were a lot of action scene pasted together and the plot was not so much thin as emaciated.  

Jean Reno is in it and I like him.  That is about as much as praise as this film is going to get from me.

In summary: Thrash metal, dangerous sports, violence, not very intellectually challenging, oh and Slipknot are in it.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4385

Ok, so I only watched this for the first time on Friday but... what a crock of shit it was! :\
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16666
    Handsome_Chris;182274" said:
    I have just watched the 2002 remake of dystopian sci-fi classic Rollerball.  Where to start on this one.  It is absolutely awful. The lead role of Jonathan Cross, played by Chris Klein (you may have seen him in American Pie) is a bargain bin Keanu Reeves.  There is nothing about his character that made me care about what happened to him. His acting is flippin' awful too.  He makes a very unlikely action hero: In fact he doesn't make an action hero, unlikely or not.

There were a lot of action scene pasted together and the plot was not so much thin as emaciated.  

Jean Reno is in it and I like him.  That is about as much as praise as this film is going to get from me.

In summary: Thrash metal, dangerous sports, violence, not very intellectually challenging, oh and Slipknot are in it.
    the original is a real favourite of mine but I only made it 15 minutes into the remake.

Watched the original of the Ladykillers. Not seen it for years and years. I know its a classic but I can't say I found it funny. It does have have some quite surreal moments though.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 3027
    National Theater production of Corialanus shown "as live" at the local multiplex.  Even included a 15 minute interval where we watched the stage hands clean the blood of the stage.  Was very very good but very long.  

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5737
    Rewatched Silent Running this afternoon on Film4. It hasn't aged particularly well in places - the ships clearly look like models and Joan Baez's hippy warblings are way out of date - but the message still holds true.

And the drones still rock. It's all about the drones.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6540
    Saw Grand Budapest Hotel. Beautiful treat for the eyes, rambling storyline for the brain. Fiennes is brilliant, and Jude Law tolerable. F Murray Abraham has incredibly big ears.