What's Hot

Comments

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Grand Budapest Hotel, it was lovely
    Loved that film... the feel, the look the whole thing brilliantly done

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1052
    watched repo man last week.still as good as i remember it 

i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Myranda said:
    Grand Budapest Hotel, it was lovely
    Loved that film... the feel, the look the whole thing brilliantly done

It was almost like watching a cartoon. Such a great atmosphere.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12899
    beed84;199653" said:
    OldBoy - amazing film. Completely blew my mind!
    The original or the remake? I thought the original was superb. Never seen the remake, I'd worry they had screwed it up and ruined it.

:(
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Lixarto said:
    Well it was devised as a trilogy, and it made a shitload of cash, so...!
    Well, yes - the love of money is the root of all shit films.

Watched "Captain Phillips" this evening. Rnjoyable isn't the right word, but it was very good.
    I think you're probably right ;)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2496
    boogieman said:
    beed84;199653" said:
    OldBoy - amazing film. Completely blew my mind!
    The original or the remake? I thought the original was superb. Never seen the remake, I'd worry they had screwed it up and ruined it.

:(
    The original.  Yeah, I'm staying away from the remake; I can't imagine it'll have the same kind of panache.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    The Colditz Story (John Mills, 1955)

• Portrays the Germans the way Cpt. Mainwaring would describe them.
    • Not as much story in it as you might expect, especially if you've read Pat Reid's book, and seen the BBC series (although to be fair the latter gives you a lot longer to get to know the characters). More a series of incidents.
    • Huge disparity of audio levels between the file proper (v quiet) and the distribution companies' fanfares (enough to blow your speaker cones out).

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1052
    just watched society (1988 horror).just about sums up real society to a t (rich buggering over the poor).

i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3413

Skin - it was on BBC1 last night and followed the rather splendid George Michael concert/documentary of "Symphonica".

Anyway, back to the film - a true story about Sandra Laing, who was born black, but to white parents. It would have been strange
    anywhere - but in apartheid South Africa it was disastrous.Fine performances from Sam Neill and the wonderful Sophie Okonedo in the lead role.
    More info about Sandra Laing here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandra_Laing

• Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2189

Frozen

I only seem to watch disney pixar films these days, thats what having kids does for ya. Anyhoo it has an interesting story, the characters are good, and the snow man is funny.

But boy oh boy is there a lot of singing in it. Real American Broadway style stuff too, at one point I was expecting Babra Dixon and Elane Page to appear singing I Know Him So Well. Really made me want to pull my eyes out and use them to stuff my ears.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4385
    edited April 2014
    Half-way through The Hobbit part 2 currently.

It's a festering pile of shit, 2/10. One point for set-dressing, and another for sound design.

I might change my rating later, but Smaug'll have to be damn good to warrant it.

*edit* It's finished. No redemption at all from Smaug - he looked impressive, but I was disappointed by Cumberbatch's performance tbh - it would have been nice to have Lee in that role as a continuation of Tolkein's blessing. It feels like a schoolkid's attempt at rewriting the book, not from someone who is supposedly a huge Tolkein fan.

• Watched The Purge.  Kind of like a shit reworking of the shit remake of Assault On Precinct 13, just with a premise that becomes more unworkable as the film moves on.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Yes, "The Purge" was deeply shit, and I'll not be watching any films with hobbits in.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1506
    Anchorman 2 - I was one of the people that loved the first one - but the second was pretty shit save for a few scenes. Not that I was surprised. 

Lone Survivor - Based on a true story - an absolutely epic film. Predictable what happens, but the manner in which it's shot and how shit went down (it's supposed to be very close to the book which is written as an account by the dude who survived) is legit. Entertaining couple of hours. 

@guitargeek62 - I felt the same way about End of Watch. Superb film. 
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3897
    Watched We Need To Talk About Kevin on the weekend. 

Thought it was excellent. Brilliant performances, brilliant production. Very powerful, very disturbing. 
  •  

Lixarto said:
    Yes, "The Purge" was deeply shit, and I'll not be watching any films with hobbits in.
    Indeed.
    Loobs said:

Thought it was excellent. Brilliant performances, brilliant production. Very powerful, very disturbing. 
    It really get's under your skin.  I thought it plays with your feelings and sympathies for the main characters very well.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12899
    Loobs;207446" said:

I keep meaning to see that. Some of my friends have raved about the book, but I hated it and gave up reading after a few chapters. I'm hoping the film is better as the premise sounds very good.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16666

Random quote bar I cant get rid of.  :(

Anyhoo...

The Grey. Its not very good.

Worlds End. Disappointing but had its moments I suppose. 

Gravity. It is visually amazing. If I had a huge HD TV and a blueray player I'd put it on every time someone came round. However, I dont so was just a very ordinary fillum with a limited plot.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • camfcamf Frets: 1203
    Loved Grand Budapest Hotel... my fave Wes Anderson film and I'm a fanboy... fanman really... the boyhood years were in another century... sniff.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Cap 2 last week, it was brilliant. 
    My V key is broken