What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522

Star Wars Episode 1 - 2/10

Worst film I've ever watched six times.

On the Big Bang Theory they were talking about the machete mix (I think that's what they said) - basically you watch episodes 4 and 5, jump back to 2 and 3 as a flashback (cutting out episode 1 completely) and then finish with Return of the Jedi. If I ever do a Star Wars marathon I'm gonna try that.

All practice and no theory
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25557
    dafuzz said:

Star Wars Episode 1 - 2/10

Worst film I've ever watched six times.

On the Big Bang Theory they were talking about the machete mix (I think that's what they said) - basically you watch episodes 4 and 5, jump back to 2 and 3 as a flashback (cutting out episode 1 completely) and then finish with Return of the Jedi. If I ever do a Star Wars marathon I'm gonna try that.

Done that.

It's also how I introduced my kids to it. Works much better.

I left in Phantom as the kids wanted to see it, but I'd agree it's not needed for the story at all. And you get to miss all that canon-busting midichlorian bullshit too.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4386
    edited May 2014
    I'm currently watching the Machete mix for the first time - it works much better than chronological or release order! I left Ep.I in though but only because I'd not seen it in a while. I've got Ep.III & VI to watch tonight. :)

I feel that Ep.I would have been good with less attempts at comedy (i.e. Jar Jar, and the battle-droids' lines), and that Ep. II would have worked much, much  better with anyone other than Hayden playing Anakin.

The biggest flaw for the prequels is the reliance on CGI, it's dated really badly already and I can't help but cringe at how obvious it all is. It's crazy that the originals have held up better than the new ones, but I consider them a league apart from each other in terms of quality.

*edit* I picked up the Blu-Ray boxset last week - really nice transfer on them, and a shit-ton of extras too. Worth the money imo, even if it does include the prequels ;)
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25557
    The best bit about the Blu ray set is the audio quality. It's fab.

And in 4,5,6 you can really see the dirt on the sets. Proper gritty stuff.

The prequels should have gone back to models and not CGI.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I watched a couple of films on iPlayer. Blackfish, which was incredibly sad and What Just Happened, which was bollocks.
    My V key is broken
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28745
    edited May 2014
    Machete is the only way to do Star Wars if you're going to even think about the prequels and it saddens me that so many kids will grow up watching them in chronological order and thus completely miss the point of Empire. 

EDIT: Also... the lightsaber choreography in the prequels is TERRIBLE. If you look, not a single hit would actually connect even if they guy didn't dodge/dip/dive/duck/dodge. Takes the drama out of the only good bit of Ep1 once you see it.

Anyway, back to fillums:

The Lego Movie 
    Some good gags, and I love Chris Pratt but it wasn't as good as everyone said it was. 6.5/10

Robocop "The Rebootquel" 
    Not awful but nothing special. Heavy handed with the drone-comment stuff, but not enough about the "ethical implications of a robot/man" stuff that nudged towards imo. I don't like the original either, so not being particularly clouded by that. I liked that they kept the music. It's good music. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    Woman in black.

Haha Harry Potter (was my initial thought)......

It was nice that it was actually, genuinely scary. Filmset location was magnificent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Despicable Me 2 - 8/10 a great fillum.

Dogma - 6/10 a despicable fillum. Watched it many times - was embarrassed watching it again.

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    Oh come on, Dogma's fun!
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 461
    edited May 2014
    American Hustle - 4/10
    Good acting, well shot, comedy clothing of the period but poor character development and was just . . . boring. 

Dogma - 7.5/10
    Funny to the point of stupidity but doesn't take it's self seriously. Excellent film but not for those of a sensitive or easily offended nature.

A-Team - 6.5/10
    Enjoyable, good take on the characters and an enjoyable film all round. 

Prometheus 3/10
    Badly cut together with poor story progression. Great production value but turned into a bad film by poor story progression and an odd selection of characters.  

Muppets: Most Wanted 7/10
    Good muppet film with some good laughs. 
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Oh come on, Dogma's fun!
    Take Jason Mewes out of Dogma and I think it'd be dreadful.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

Bambi.

We thought we'd traumatise our kids.

Very nicely drawn, but I found the rabbit quite annoying...and I nodded off for a bit as well.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16666

frankus said:

Dogma - 6/10 a despicable fillum. Watched it many times - was embarrassed watching it again.

Is that a bit like my need to watch Showgirls every time it is on just so I can complain about the terrible acting, plot and uneccesary amount of female nudity?
    :ar!
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Watching Man of Steel for the nth time. 9/10

I'm not sure exactly what it is that gives this such great replay value for me, but I must have seen it 15-20 times already. I know that it divided a lot of people, but I really like the New-52 style update of the universe, and can't fault a great deal of the movie. It's a Superman for modern times, and I think it's evolved very nicely. 

I'd love to see a spin-off starring Crowe & Shannon too, their back-story has been done very well in certain comic storylines, and could be nicely updated to fit MoS. :)
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    edited May 2014
    Saving Mr Banks, still got some left to go, but it's really lovely.

Finished it, totally didn't cry....
    My V key is broken
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Last few:

Manhunter - I likes it
    The Purge - Meh
    Idiocracy - Not laugh out loud funny, but an interesting parody, although a bit dragged out
    Murder by Numbers - bad
    MIB3 - good

• chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    I watched After Earth too, was rubbish, as all that was at stake was Will Smith and his son, and they hadn't made me give a shit about either.
  • MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 283
    I watched Bad Neighbours at the cinema last night. On initial viewing it was funny, but thinking back, in reality it was just an Adam Sandler away from being bad, lots of repetition. That being said, Zac Efron was kinda good (and I never thought I'd ever hear/see myself say that).

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    Star Wars: Harmy's Despecialized Edition - 10/10

Sooo.... after learning about the machete mix and having a bit of a google about it, I discovered this - a fan-made restoration of Star Wars (I'm not even calling it Episode IV anymore). All the digital crap has been removed as far as possible. You can read about it here and see some comparison screens. An insane amount of work has gone into it.

I got a bit emotional watching it actually! There was a real sense of nostalgia that I haven't felt since seeing the shitty editions in the cinema back in the 90s. It's a cliche to say "like watching it for the first time again" but that's genuinely how it felt for me. Needless to say the 'original' trilogy DVDs won't be coming out of their boxes any time soon.
    All practice and no theory
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Glad you mentioned that; after doing the Machete run last week, I was wondering if an original(ish) cut existed! :)