What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4386
    edited May 2014
    Nice link (wisdom awarded), the pics I used were pretty much the first hits from a quick google search but yours are more evident of the process. I'd forgotten some of those miniatures (the arena, for one) and I agree that ILM did a good job there, though they proceeded to fuck up the use of them by then adding awful lighting filters to every piece that used chroma-key. 

Obviously there is a need for inserted backdrops etc, but (imo) that the matte paintings from the originals are harder to spot, although obviously had their own constraints. 

Ps, I never said the originals didn't use bluescreens ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4198
    edited May 2014
    I think one of the problems with the prequels is not the models vs CGI - but the way the films are colour graded. Also Ep II and Ep III were shot digitally during the format's infancy. I believe they may only be 1080p.

The result is that although many of the techniques were the same as the original trilogy - in terms of VFX - there's a 90s CD-ROM game kind of look to everything on screen - the people, not just the effects. Phantom Menace doesn't suffer so much from this, but the following two films do.

There's a similar thing going on in the Hobbit movies and to a lesser extend the second two LOTR - where even the natural elements take on a slightly unnatural look. Fellowship of the Ring has less of this - the fight in the woods at the end is lovely for looking very natural - but the following two films go mad with colour grading so even the real stuff lacks some reality.

It's laudable that JJ says that he's going back to the roots with VII in terms of practical effects and shooting on film. However I don't think either are the real issue. After all there's tons of practical stuff in the prequel trilogy (I especially like the q-tip crowd in the pod race). Today he could shoot on digital, he could even use CGI, but he's got to avoid overly manipulating the image in post - colour grading it to hell, and even worse making it teal and orange.

The prequels suffered from poor writing and actor direction (though some lovely visual direction - Lucas still can really paint a picture at times such as the moment in Sith with Padme and Anakin looking out across the city from different places) - and the first two were pretty poor. They made people pretty angry. And so these films get picked apart. Fair enough.

But in terms of VFX I think all three were pretty damn good. But as I said, I didn't like the overall post production digital filter added to everything. 

I've watched all three again in the last few weeks. I still like Sith a lot. And I reckon Clones could be saved with a little editing - I noticed in many of the supposed awful Padme/Anakin scenes there were actually some good moments, usually spoiled by some whiny line at the end. One could easily edit that stuff into shape, add the deleted scene with Padme's family and you could pretty much fix the awkward romance. The droid factory would have to go too. Sith I'd get rid of the lizard/bike chase and trim a few lines here or there - end Vader's part as the mask came down - but it's got some really good moments. You could watch it between Empire and Jedi as a flashback sequence and it would hold up.

PS, sorry I was a dick my earlier reply.

PPS Did you know Mythbusters' Adam Savage, Tory Belleci and Grant Imahara all worked on the prequels at ILM? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28745
    I like seeing the model work for the prequels, but it's telling that they still look shitty CGI on film. I think you're right about the colour grading and film-quality thing. I think I read that the new ones are being shot on film, so maybe that will help a little. 

Ultimately the major issue is that Lucas forgot how to make good films progressively as he became more successful. Obviously he's not there now, so that might help, but after Into Darkness I have little confidence in Abrams's ability to tell a good story.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4198
    I don't think shooting on film will make any difference. The post processing will all be digital - the compositing, colour grading etc. Once the film is developed it will be scanned and from then on the whole process will be digital.

It's up to those involved to keep thinks looking natural. There's nothing wrong with digital cinematography at all, it can look beautiful and natural, it's just a tool. And it's how that tool is used that is important.

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Ok, anybody seen any films lately?
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Silence of the Lambs - on a 32" 1080p TV a few feet away, with decent-ish headphones. Noticed loads of audio bits I'd not heard before.

Creepy as fuck. What a film.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    I think we can be too analytical about CGI in films. It's a bit like when musos go and see a band, half the time we're listening to the individual musicians, rather than the sound the band produces as a whole. As a result, we can miss out on the experience.

• Ianb62Ianb62 Frets: 22
    Lawless on the ipad last night - as the TV in the hotel (Doha) is rubbish - 7/10 for me

Not a bad film - and even that young chap that keeps popping up in films, but I never remember his name couldnt spoil it

As a result, we can miss out on the experience.
    In the case of films/tv I have to disagree (although I completely agree when it comes to bands!).

The idea of a film is to pull you into that universe for the couple of hours of it's playtime. If things stand out on screen that look (unintentionally) out of place, then it breaks that effect for the viewer. 

Plenty of films really on CGI to build their universe, but have managed it in a way that is near-seamless. The alternative is to go for a heavily stylised look, like that used in 300.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Saw Godzilla. Not what I was expecting to happen - for once seeing the trailer didn't ruin the twists. Worth a watch, I'm not convinced I loved it but some of the scenes were great. Sadly watching the trailer for Transcendance did ruin the film when I watched it the other week. I need to go back to not watching trailers...
    I had not read much about the Godzilla remake... only seen the trailers ... 

I was utterly shocked at how well something fairly integral to the plot was kept out of all the trailers and advertising stuff. I want the peeople behind the trailers for this to do every trailer now... also if they could go back in time and prevent the ruin of lots of films through trailers that give out the whole plot that would be great....

I enjoyed it. It was epic monster on city action. Things kerploded... people ran screaming... it was fun. 

Fun enough that despite the plot being pretty damned obvious after a certain point it was still bloomin' good fun.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    Just watching Star Wars 3. I can't believe how most of those Storm Troopers keep their jobs; they're such crap shots.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25557
    Kelly's Heroes.

Not seen it for years. Excellent silly stuff!

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I'm watching Walk of Shame. It's a bit shit, but I'm seeing Elizabeth Banks in a very foxy new light.
    My V key is broken
    Myranda said:
    Saw Godzilla. Not what I was expecting to happen - for once seeing the trailer didn't ruin the twists. Worth a watch, I'm not convinced I loved it but some of the scenes were great. Sadly watching the trailer for Transcendance did ruin the film when I watched it the other week. I need to go back to not watching trailers...
    I had not read much about the Godzilla remake... only seen the trailers ... 

I was utterly shocked at how well something fairly integral to the plot was kept out of all the trailers and advertising stuff. I want the peeople behind the trailers for this to do every trailer now... also if they could go back in time and prevent the ruin of lots of films through trailers that give out the whole plot that would be great....

I enjoyed it. It was epic monster on city action. Things kerploded... people ran screaming... it was fun. 

Fun enough that despite the plot being pretty damned obvious after a certain point it was still bloomin' good fun.
    If you mean the bit I think you mean, then I spotted it in the Asian trailer a few weeks ago. Bloody great surprise though, assuming I'm right... I won't see it until Wednesday!!! :(

I'm watching Godzilla: Final Wars tonight though! :D
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 3027
    Just watched Pacific Rim, theres a couple of hours Im not getting back.  More plot holes than a very leaky colander.

Still, it was marginally better than the rest of the crap on telly tonight.

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    Just watching Star Wars 3. I can't believe how most of those Storm Troopers keep their jobs; they're such crap shots.

This is why people miss out how important the invention of laser small arms was to the Empire's success.  If their storm troopers fired real ammunition it would have bankrupted the whole organisation in the early days. 

It's like the way that when people had film cameras with 36 shots they thought about what they might be photographing before pressing the shutter release.  Then along comes digital cameras and huge deletable memory cards and suddenly people are photographing what they had for dinner on holiday and the shits that followed.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16666
    X Men First Class. After the first 30 minutes suddenly realised I had seen it before. :(

I like the general build up - the Nazi stuff, the swinging sixties stuff- but the second half is too busy climaxing in a huge battle at which point I was really bored and waiting to go to bed.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12900
    Monsters. One of those films that we watched because there wasn't much else on. I have to say it was rather good, even though I'd never heard of either of the lead actors and actually, not a lot happens. Definitely way better than the execrable Cloverfield that was on afterwards.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7347
    Robocop remake- Shite, dull and you didn't care about him in the slightest. Original I saw on day of release in cinema and it was at least funny and OTT. Was never a huge fan of the franchise, but my best mate loved them. New one is a waste of 2 hours.

Pompeii- Basically Titanic meets Gladiator, again a waste of 2 hours. My mate Ade plays the lead character's(Jon Snow from GOT) buddy who is one match away from freedom, so it was funny watching him prance around though. You know the outcome and so its Titanic. Kiether Sutherland sounds like a camp '60s english comedy actor 'Ding. Dong' rather than a Roman.

CBGB- Fun film about the club and a good lightly entertaining film about the birth of 'punk' in America. Lots of funny scenes and its basically Harry Potter as half the cast have played wizards in that franchise. Lots of dog shit and Blondie, Television and Iggy, so made me chuckle.

Dogs In Space- Haven't watched it in years, but still have  a soft spot for it as it reminds me of my teenage years and being stoned. Basically Hippies, Punks and Squatters in Australia with a cool soundtrack.

• racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1052
    watched brazil last night. bloody fantastic film   :D
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom