What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74475
    cruxiform said:
    ICBM said:
    Will have to watch it again now :).
    Nice one :)
    Damn… YouTube have disabled the audio on the full version. F***ers.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Myranda said:
    d8m said:
    guess what I watched last night:

:))
    Top Gun?

Myranda said:
    d8m said:
    guess what I watched last night:

:))
    Top Gun?
    Surely you can't be serious?

Don't call me Shirley! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4386
    Pacific Rim is frakking awful.

The "Honest Trailer" on YouTube is all you need to know.
    Agreed, I didn't expect much from it tbh and was still left disappointed. :(
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12901
    ThePrettyDamned;243016" said:

I've been advised that Pacific Rim is where it's at for Monster type films, though. 
    @Myranda 's review is spot on, Pacific Rim is a steaming turd of a film. Probably a turd actually dropped by Godzilla. Who was your advisor, a 7 year old?

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    boogieman said:
    ThePrettyDamned;243016" said:

I've been advised that Pacific Rim is where it's at for Monster type films, though. 
    @Myranda 's review is spot on, Pacific Rim is a steaming turd of a film. Probably a turd actually dropped by Godzilla. Who was your advisor, a 7 year old?

I think what makes Pacific Rim so bad is that it should have been brilliant... great cast, Del Toro at the helm, great big massive budget... brilliant cast - normally I could watch Idris Elba sit quitely reading a book and be entertained, but in this I felt ashamed that I even knew his name let alone thought myself a fan... 

Every component that went into this film was right... but the result was so totally wrong. Like building a house out of muffins. Sure each muffin was a tasty delicious treats, but soon the chocolate chips attracted bugs, and the soft doughy, bready cakes were too absorbent and the rain made your comfy (and squishy/tasty) home cave in under its own weight.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

Pacific Rim review

monsters: box ticked

robots [the Jeagers will do]: box ticked

stuff getting blown up / smashed up: box ticked

nice tottie: cute Japanese girlie. box ticked

no story to have to think about: box ticked

not muck talking and actual words and stuff: box ticked

totally hit the spot for me

play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    edited May 2014
    I finished watching the latest Hobbit installment...

I said it on facebook and there was narry a tittler so I may as well put it here..

If Peter Jackson made a film of Huckleberry Finn it'd be a remake of Cape Fear.

quite aside from plundering a children's story to make a blockbuster (he just wanted Three More LOTRs) .. it's a lot of shark jumping in a prequel. A novel idea - but not a worthy one.

he also felt the need to add plot holes wheere there used not to be any..

and recycling characters...

and killing off all the whimsical parts of the film - the "unexpected party" trick at Beorn's... chasing the feast, the chilled ride of the barrels..

I suspect Kili or Fili (whichever one it is) ends up banging Tauriel - and Legolas loses weight and avoids the sun-bed in the hope of not losing more elf-chicks to dwarves...

I also suspect that we're meant to believe that where in the first one Bilbo says he wasn't entirely honest, he utterly sugar coated the story for the people of the shire -- which I think sucks ass..
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I've never been more angry & disappointed in a film, none of the changes made any sense at all. :(
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319

'John Dies At The End' - weird, weird, weird. And to me quite badly written, but apparently the book is tremendous so it might be one of those Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas -type fillums where if you don't know anything about it beforehand it is just odd. Wouldn't recommend if you don't know anything about it already.

And mostly paid attention to 'Daybreakers' last night - Ethan Hawke, Willem Dafoe and Sam Neill romping around as vampires (or not). Big, stupid and obvious in the style of the Blade films, fairly awful but perfect for the end of a 12-hour day when all that you want is sofa, beer and Pringles.

Saw Godzilla this evening, I loved it!

I can see why some might not, but to me it did everything that it should have done. Might go see it again at the weekend actually, bring on the sequel! :)

8.5/10
  • MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 283
    guitargeek62;246622" said:

I can see why some might not, but to me it did everything that it should have done. Might go see it again at the weekend actually, bring on the sequel! :)

8.5/10
    Definitely my film of the year so far!

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

edited May 2014
    guitargeek62;246622" said:

8.5/10
    Definitely my film of the year so far!
    I liked Captain America too…
    but the one I'm looking forward to is Edge of Tomorrow
    looks like its lots of robots, lasers, monsters, stuff getting blown up, a nice few totties..
    I'm just hoping it don't have too much in the way of story and talking and actual words and stuff..
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    IanSavage said:

'John Dies At The End' -

Hey!  No spoilers.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3102
    edited May 2014

Saw Godzilla last night.  I'm not the target audience granted, but my 10yr old and 14ys old boys probably are.   They thought it was crap.

Spoiler here (highlight to read): Why didn't Godzilla use his blue atomic fire breath at the start, then no-one would have died?  How come he came back from the dead, not once, but twice?

Just crap, really. Although some of the CGI was quite good and the sound added a bit of "realism", I guess?

edited May 2014
    @RobDavies: Because

Godzilla's atomic breath was more of a focused, fiery shaped energy beam that Godzilla spews out. Godzilla only used it against the M.U.T.Os after he had taken a severe beating and was already growing weaker, showing that Godzilla only uses it as a last resort against opponents he can't physically overpower on his own. Though it doesn't appear to have the same destructive properties as the versions prior, the blasts were strong enough to severely weaken, and eventually kill, the female M.U.T.O. While it may not have the destructive force of its predecessors, this version of Godzilla's atomic breath is still incredibly deadly in its own right. It is, however, entirely possible that Godzilla never used his atomic breath at its full power, seeing as how Godzilla was already extremely weak when he began using it, so whether or not it's capable of more is unknown at this point.  Source

And for the second part:

He only "died" once, and by that I mean he collapsed from exhaustion. Unless you're referring to when the skyscraper landed on him and it took him a few seconds to get back up?! Or do you mean the hibernation period before we ever see him? 

Besides, Godzilla's always been able to recover & regenerate from pretty much anything - the only time he didn't was after Destroyah caused him to go into nuclear meltdown, and then Godzilla Jr soaked up the rads and matured into an adult anyway.
    Just a note to anyone thinking of seeing Godzilla.

If you've seen Monsters (2010) and didn't like it, you're probably not going to like Godzilla either.
    edited May 2014
    RobDavies said:

Saw Godzilla last night.  I'm not the target audience granted, but my 10yr old and 14ys old boys probably are.   They thought it was crap.

Spoiler here (highlight to read): Why didn't Godzilla use his blue atomic fire breath at the start, then no-one would have died?  How come he came back from the dead, not once, but twice?

Just crap, really. Although some of the CGI was quite good and the sound added a bit of "realism", I guess?

if my boys came to that conclusion I'd have to give them a good diet of proper movies for boys to get them back on track.. Transformers, Pacific Rim, Battle LA, Skyline, Captain America etc

these films are totally supposed to have crap stories and have 'moments' that just can't hold true.. it's all able getting from one scene of blowing stuff up to the next.. you're not sposed to watch these films and do thinking and stuff.. just bask in the blowing stuff upness

Clarky said:

if my boys came to that conclusion I'd have to give them a good diet of proper movies for boys to get them back on track.. Transformers, Pacific Rim, Battle LA, Skyline, Captain America etc

Nothing could salvage Skyline. Not even Turk, or the average fx. :|
    edited May 2014

monsters

stuff getting blown up

tottie

car chases

lasers [well.. the blue light thing]

it's ticking a lot of boxes here.... I guess it depends.. do you see a film to analyse it?? or do you just go and enjoy all the mayhem and destruction..?? I just want to be entertained.. and I never seem to tire of spaceships and monsters and blowing up and tottie and stuff.. and all them words and story just seem to get in the way.. I need just enough to set the scene.. and them boom.. carnage-fest...

remember the original Godzilla?? a guy in a rubber suit stepping on cardboard houses??

awesome.. lol..

remember Jaws?? when it first come out it scared the crap out of loads of people.. look at it now and the shark is looking kinda plastic.. lmao.. but in it's day it was awesome... the only thing missing in that film were Cylons.. they'd have pepped it up a bit..

I say screw the fx.. let the film do what it does and let your imagination fill in the gaps.. just enjoy it for what it is..

edited May 2014
    I watch a film to enjoy a bit of escapism, but you have to buy into what they're selling otherwise the whole break-from-reality is destroyed. That film was SOOOOOOO badly written, performed, and executed that even with those boxes ticked, it still failed to generate a single ounce of excitement.

To make matters worse, I heard that a sequel got greenlit this week. :|

There's nothing wrong with using "poor" effects, the old Godzilla works because the scale was about right onscreen, and it's a little tongue in cheek. Jaws still looks pretty damn good (and still scares plenty of kids) - certainly better than Deep Blue Sea does now so I'd much rather see a puppet shark than a CGI one.