What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Myranda said:
    Saw Godzilla. Not what I was expecting to happen - for once seeing the trailer didn't ruin the twists. Worth a watch, I'm not convinced I loved it but some of the scenes were great. Sadly watching the trailer for Transcendance did ruin the film when I watched it the other week. I need to go back to not watching trailers...
    I had not read much about the Godzilla remake... only seen the trailers ... 

I was utterly shocked at how well something fairly integral to the plot was kept out of all the trailers and advertising stuff. I want the peeople behind the trailers for this to do every trailer now... also if they could go back in time and prevent the ruin of lots of films through trailers that give out the whole plot that would be great....

I enjoyed it. It was epic monster on city action. Things kerploded... people ran screaming... it was fun. 

Fun enough that despite the plot being pretty damned obvious after a certain point it was still bloomin' good fun.
    If you mean the bit I think you mean, then I spotted it in the Asian trailer a few weeks ago. Bloody great surprise though, assuming I'm right... I won't see it until Wednesday!!! :(

I'm watching Godzilla: Final Wars tonight though! :D
    I just watch the Asian trailer... how can the Western trailers be so good at hiding the plot elements... and the Asian ones just show them full screen? Shame on that trailer editor.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    Myranda said:

I'm watching
    Godzilla: Final Wars tonight though! :D
    I just watch the Asian trailer...
    And you appear to be picking up the language very also.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Myranda said:

I'm watching
    Godzilla: Final Wars tonight though! :D
    I just watch the Asian trailer...
    And you appear to be picking up the language very also.
    Like native! I blend well!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7560
    edited May 2014
    Saw Godzilla, it was pretty good but had some fairly bad acting and cliches.  

But it was better than expected, and good fun - which is kinda the point. Laughs were had.

I've been advised that Pacific Rim is where it's at for Monster type films, though.

Also, recently been watching Archer (TV series).  Fucking hilarious, terribly offensive.  
    Archer was incredibly squirm inducing funny.
  • Archer was incredibly squirm inducing funny.
    I saw the episode 'Placebo' yesterday.  

It's so inappropriate, especially given the environment I work in, but I was crying.  

And squirming uncomfortably.

But it was better than expected, and good fun - which is kinda the point. Laughs were had.

I've been advised that Pacific Rim is where it's at for Monster type films, though.

Also, recently been watching Archer (TV series).  Fucking hilarious, terribly offensive.  
    You went to see a movie which involves a giant monster rampaging in cities... and were expecting good acting and a lack of cliché? 

Oh. And whoever informed you Pacific Rim was "where it's at" was either a monster themselves (for to recommend the film is monstrous) or an imbecile. You think Godzilla had clichés? Pacific Rim is nothing but cliché. So predictable that I felt I must surely have been in the script writing meetings. I'm half convinced that Del Toro was only present as they'd bound and gagged him and left him on set somewhere... If it weren't for a big budget of explody flashy special effects and Ron Pearlman it could possibly be one of the worst films I've seen in years... and I watch low budget horror movies - I've even seen Megashark Vs Giant Octopus. It promised so much and delivered on nothing.

Pacific Rim is a puss filled polyp on the anus end of cinema. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Searching for Sugar Man  - nice music film documentary.  Takes a while to get going but enjoyable heart warming stuff in the end.

"Two South Africans set out to discover what happened to their unlikely musical hero, the mysterious 1970s rock 'n' roller, Rodriguez."
  • MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 283
    Myranda said:
    Saw Godzilla. Not what I was expecting to happen - for once seeing the trailer didn't ruin the twists. Worth a watch, I'm not convinced I loved it but some of the scenes were great. Sadly watching the trailer for Transcendance did ruin the film when I watched it the other week. I need to go back to not watching trailers...
    I had not read much about the Godzilla remake... only seen the trailers ... 

I was utterly shocked at how well something fairly integral to the plot was kept out of all the trailers and advertising stuff. I want the peeople behind the trailers for this to do every trailer now... also if they could go back in time and prevent the ruin of lots of films through trailers that give out the whole plot that would be great....

I enjoyed it. It was epic monster on city action. Things kerploded... people ran screaming... it was fun. 

Fun enough that despite the plot being pretty damned obvious after a certain point it was still bloomin' good fun.
    If you mean the bit I think you mean, then I spotted it in the Asian trailer a few weeks ago. Bloody great surprise though, assuming I'm right... I won't see it until Wednesday!!! :(

I'm watching Godzilla: Final Wars tonight though! :D

I still need to see pretty much all of the Heisei era movies (already seen Godzilla 1985, Godzilla vs King Ghidorah and Godzilla vs Mothra), and all the Millenium era. I used to love Channel 4' late night Creature Feature, tis how I got hooked on the Showa era movies. I even remember BBC2 having a Godzilla night several years back, and Phill Jupitus saying he'd like to see the movie "Godzilla vs Tigra, the Vauxhall Monster"...

I'm that much of a fanboy that I really want to buy the S.H. Monsterarts figures, but they are bloody pricey for 6" action figures. That being said, King Ghidorah looks immense.

Godzilla 1964 and 90's:

Godzilla 2000:

King Ghidorah:

Mechagodzilla (Kiryu):

Gigan (Final Wars):

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 283

Just to add, I'd put them in a display cabinet, not play with them and act out some monster battle scenes, I'm not a manchild...

#:-S  Think I got away with that one...

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7560
    edited May 2014
    Myranda;243053" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

You went to see a movie which involves a giant monster rampaging in cities... and were expecting good acting and a lack of cliché? 

Oh. And whoever informed you Pacific Rim was "where it's at" was either a monster themselves (for to recommend the film is monstrous) or an imbecile. You think Godzilla had clichés? Pacific Rim is nothing but cliché. So predictable that I felt I must surely have been in the script writing meetings. I'm half convinced that Del Toro was only present as they'd bound and gagged him and left him on set somewhere... If it weren't for a big budget of explody flashy special effects and Ron Pearlman it could possibly be one of the worst films I've seen in years... and I watch low budget horror movies - I've even seen Megashark Vs Giant Octopus. It promised so much and delivered on nothing.

Pacific Rim is a puss filled polyp on the anus end of cinema. 
    I just heard that... @-)

I did enjoy the film, just to clarify! It had everything I like about monster films in it. And I was surprised by the plot - it had good clichés in, but the plot was still surprising, not quite what I expected in a good way. I was expecting average acting and clichés and it didn't disappoint. You wouldn't watch die hard for plot line! Was just saying...

Worst film I've ever seen remains either session 9 or Avatar. So I do have some perspective!

I'll see Pacific rim and let you know how I get on.
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    guess what I watched last night:

:))

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @myranda it did get me fired up for monster films, what recommendations you got?
    d8m said:

Top Gun?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2014
    @myranda it did get me fired up for monster films, what recommendations you got?

The Host - Korean film, just brilliant in everyway.  Sequel coming this summer.  Woohoo!!!

Also Kerry Katona's workout DVD is considered a pretty stock monster movie.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2805

Restless Natives. A lovely film with a fantastic soundtrack from Big Country.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74475
    cruxiform said:

Brilliant! I haven't seen that for nearly thirty years and I can still remember a few bits from it quite clearly.

Will have to watch it again now :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2805
    ICBM said:
    cruxiform said:

Brilliant! I haven't seen that for nearly thirty years and I can still remember a few bits from it quite clearly.

Will have to watch it again now :).
    Nice one :)
  • snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    Myranda said:
    d8m said:

Top Gun?

Myranda said:
    d8m said:

Top Gun?
    Surely you can't be serious?

PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25557
    Pacific Rim is frakking awful.

The "Honest Trailer" on YouTube is all you need to know.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom