What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 283
    edited May 2014
    guitargeek62;247840" said:
    Just a note to anyone thinking of seeing Godzilla.

If you've seen Monsters (2010) and didn't like it, you're probably not going to like Godzilla either.
    I actually rewatched Monsters before watching Godzilla, excellent film.

Edit: Bloody autocorrect.

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3102
    edited May 2014
    Clarky said:

if my boys came to that conclusion I'd have to give them a good diet of proper movies for boys to get them back on track.. Transformers, Pacific Rim, Battle LA, Skyline, Captain America etc

The eldest one likes Transformers and the Marvel stuff but his tastes are maturing and he's starting to enjoy classic horror stuff like The Shining.  He still thinks anything by Michael Bay is good though - whereas I think it's crap.

The youngest isn't that bothered about giant robots and monsters hitting each other repeatedly - he just likes to laugh and as such, Adam Sandler is generally up his street.

I guess I just like stuff with a script and characters.  image

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4386
    edited May 2014
    guitargeek62;247840" said:
    Just a note to anyone thinking of seeing Godzilla.

If you've seen Monsters (2010) and didn't like it, you're probably not going to like Godzilla either.
    I actually rematch Monsters before watching Godzilla, excellent film.
    I thought so too, he's just been given the director's chair for the first Star Wars spin-off film in 2016. I like his approach to films so I'm looking forward to seeing it in the SW universe.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

wow your boys are so grown up...

they sound more grown up than me.. by far...

play every note as if it were your first
    Clarky said:

wow your boys are so grown up...

they sound more grown up than me.. by far...

I wouldn't have said they were that grown up?  I started developing an interest in horror films when I was in my mid teens and all kids like Adam Sandler films, don't they?
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    compared to me they are.. lmao.. I'm not past the blowing stuff up phase..
    play every note as if it were your first
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fatherjackfatherjack Frets: 180
    I didn't like Monsters and I didn't like Godzilla, for the same reason:

It's fine if you want to make a character-based film, but you've got to make the audience care about what happens to them, and I just didn't.

Still, I'm going to see the new X Men film tonight, hopefully that'll be better.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Oh, and there was no proper totty in Godzilla either.  Boooo.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4386
    Depends what you're after, Olsen was pretty hot.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

I went to the cinema last night! Something we've not done much since having kids.

Anyway, it was an Arts Centre not a big multiplex with yoofs on their smartphones munching noisey food, so that's nice.

Our entertainment for the evening was "Beyond the Edge"

Docudrama (hate that term) about Hillary and Tenzing's climb to the top of Everest in '53.

Used a mixture of footage from the time, with reconstruction and voice over interviews to tell the tale.

Fantastic stuff, I've always been fasinated by explorers and adventurers, and despite knowing most of the story it was still pretty gripping.

• FazerFazer Frets: 488
    i watched 3 early 1980s mainstream 'slashers' - the house on sonority row, prom night, and the prowler

the thing i always find most confusing with these films is that the 'teenagers' are always played by people too old, and its really weird seeing them sitting in a classroom.
    it upsets and disrupts my understanding of the world, so when are are all finally slashed and gone its quite a relief

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    The Lego Movie, I loved it, so well animated.
    My V key is broken
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    fatherjack said: Still, I'm going to see the new X Men film tonight, hopefully that'll be better.
    Saw that yesterday. Pretty good :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • fatherjackfatherjack Frets: 180
    Lixarto said:
    fatherjack said: Still, I'm going to see the new X Men film tonight, hopefully that'll be better.
    Saw that yesterday. Pretty good :)
    I was a little underwhelmed, actually.  It's OK (definitely better that Godzilla), but I thought it fell between two stools - not really interesting enough from a character point of view, and a little lacking in suitable crash-bang-kerpow.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1052
    just came across this gem of a film (never heard of it before). 

if you like a good b movie sci fi/horror you'll like this i think  
    ;)

i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12660
    just came across this gem of a film (never heard of it before). 

if you like a good b movie sci fi/horror you'll like this i think  
    ;)

Perfect start to a good b-movie, something crashes into a broad daylight painting then in the next shot its night time
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    This week I have mostly been watching the entire A Nightmare On Elm Street series back to back.

Some really fantastic moments in horror even in some of the less well made films. Though in 5 and 6 the comedy detracted from the horror which was a shame. 1, 3 and 7 make for some great horror watchin' though.
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1052
    i watched this recently and thought it was good. classic 80's sci fi/comedy/horror  
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10890
    Just watched Drive Angry.
    Violent and reasonably watchable.Nicholas Cage putting in one of his usual Oscar standard performances.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5149
    Watched the first half of The Hunt last night (kind of recommended earlier). Had to get to bed early for work so haven't finished it yet.

Shit, that's a harsh set up for a story. Will get back to it over the weekend.

Weird to see Mads "Hannibal" Mikkelsen playing a normal Dad in an abnormal situation without killing anyone!
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...