What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25557

Frozen

I only seem to watch disney pixar films these days, thats what having kids does for ya. Anyhoo it has an interesting story, the characters are good, and the snow man is funny.

But boy oh boy is there a lot of singing in it. Real American Broadway style stuff too, at one point I was expecting Babra Dixon and Elane Page to appear singing I Know Him So Well. Really made me want to pull my eyes out and use them to stuff my ears.

Still better than folk...

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KarlosKarlos Frets: 512
    Danny1969 said:

Searching for Sugarman

It's the story of Rodriguez, a singer song writer who released 2 albums in the late sixties \ early seventies which bombed in the states. He returns to his labouring job and back to obscurity , meanwhile he becomes as big as Dylan in South Africa but doesn't know

It's a fantastic docu film of a true story, absolutely brilliant. Check out the IMD \ rotton tom ratings and the Bafta award
    Me and the Mrs watched this a few nights back. I'd never heard of him and my wife picked the film out from a trailer she saw.
    It really is an amazing story. I went and bought his albums on the back of the film cus his music is fantastic.
    (the artist formerly known as KarlosSantos)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12899
    Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. Full of stereotypes, a pretty predictable plot and vaguely racist. Quite entertaining though.
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2189

Frozen

I only seem to watch disney pixar films these days, thats what having kids does for ya. Anyhoo it has an interesting story, the characters are good, and the snow man is funny.

But boy oh boy is there a lot of singing in it. Real American Broadway style stuff too, at one point I was expecting Babra Dixon and Elane Page to appear singing I Know Him So Well. Really made me want to pull my eyes out and use them to stuff my ears.

Still better than folk...

Ha ha cheeky cnut lol

I've seen it about 50 times now.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

Watched Hobbit part 2

Loved it, didn't want it to end, watched it again straight after. I sense I'm probably in a minority though.

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4385

Watched Hobbit part 2

Loved it, didn't want it to end, watched it again straight after. I sense I'm probably in a minority though.

If you haven't read the book enough to know it, then it's probably not awful. But...
  • One Hour Photo (on TV last night. Sorry, if you're looking for reviews of new releases at the flicks, you've come to the wrong man!)

I thought it was rather good, Robin Williams in particular was outstanding.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Watched Argo with the missus, knew nothing about the film beforehand other than that Ben Assfeck was in it but thoroughly enjoyed it.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Harry Potter and the Child Killing Ghost-Lady... not much dialogue one of the better ones. ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?

Watched Hobbit part 2

If you haven't read the book enough to know it, then it's probably not awful. But...

true I've not read the book, so its all new to me

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    frankus said:
    Harry Potter and the Child Killing Ghost-Lady... not much dialogue one of the better ones. ;)
    That would have been a decent flick, had they used an actor instead of the Potter child.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    August Osage Country :  Very good dialogue driven film about a family dealing with the death of their father and the fall out from their drug addict mother. Good film 

Harry Brown : Older film with Michael Cain playing a kind of Gran Torino vigilante character.  Very violent British drug \ street crime romp which is uncomfortable to watch at times but not a bad film
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • fatherjackfatherjack Frets: 180
    The Amazing Spider-man 2.

Andrew Garfield is fairly engaging as Peter Parker, but Spidey is a twerp.

They've tried to jam too much into it, and for some reason inserted a trailer for the next Incredibles movie just before the end credits.

6/10
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3413
    Lake Placid:The Final Chapter - got it on dvd as my friend was in it. It's all about large, killer crocs terrorising annoying Americans! It's a croc(k) of shit and I have to think what I'm going to say to my mate the next time I see him (he was eaten)!

The Thunderbirds episode with a similar theme was 10 times better!
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16475

Watched Hobbit part 2

I have read the book (practically grew up on LOTR and Hobbit) and I still enjoyed the film.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

Freak.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16475
    maybe (well, definitely but hey ho) but here's the thing, IMO the film wasn't as good as it could've been, but on the whole I quite enjoyed it. The whole thing with the necromancer and all that (which was touched on in the book) I think is good, though I would've preferred more of that. I'm not mad keen on the love interest and really don't like the whole legolas thing, and the dwarves aren't as I would've portrayed them, but I still found it an enjoyable film. I can enjoy the film(s) in its own right without having any reference at all to the book (and vice versa). Just because it strays from the book doesn't make it a bad film, just as if it had stuck religiously to the book wouldn't have necessarily made it a good film (though it would've been much shorter). 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

The necromancer sub-plot is cool, I knew that was going to be in the films and it made sense to include it. It seems to have been handled fairly well (although I was expecting a Balrog to step out at any moment) and I don't have anything against it's inclusion for the sake of background & pacing. The rest of the changes add nothing of value (imo) though.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    Amazing Spider man 2, sadly a lot of the film had already been leaked to various internet sites. Andrew Garfield is a better spiderman than tobey, not enough back story for jamie foxxs character. And as somebody else said, they've tried to shove too much into the film. I would agree that 6/10 is a fair review of the film.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5916
    The Call

Pretty good "edge of seat" stuff, plus Halle Berry is gorgeous.

The Ending.....Meh.