What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• 300: Rise of an Empire. Entertaining, but not as good as the first for me. Although Eva Green makes up for anything I didn't like, slightly in love with her.

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    The Theory of Everything. Great acting but couldn't save a pretty dire film. Very superficial. Didn't learn anything much about the characters. Also, although I'm sure I wouldn't understand the physics, there was no real attempt to describe what Stephen Hawking had achieved. Disappointing.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Recently watched 'flight'. was canny depressing! Dont watch it if you're feeling a bit sad. 
  • holnrew said:
    ThePrettyDamned;464979" said:
    It's such a beautiful day. 

A surreal film.  However, it's sad, hard hitting and wonderfully written and animated. 

Genuinely made me feel things. 
    Is that the Don Herzfeldt (probably spelled wrong) one?
    That's the one.  

I don't recommend it if you're on a downer.  It put me on one, so if I already felt shit, I'd be an absolute mess. 

But it was very good indeed, I thought. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    HAL9000 said:
    The Theory of Everything. Great acting but couldn't save a pretty dire film. Very superficial. Didn't learn anything much about the characters.

Isn't that always the way with biopics though? 

Unless they concentrate on a very small part of the subject's life, biopics just leap from one significant event to another - a wedding, a birth, an accident, a success, a failure, a descent into alcoholism or madness, a death..... they're nearly always rubbish.

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    A Long Way Down. I liked it a lot. Pierce Brosnan, Imogen Poots, Toni Collette and Aaron Paul all try to kill themselves on the same night, but end up not. 
    My V key is broken
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Despicable me 1+2

Pleasantly surprised although 2 not a patch on 1.

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    edited January 2015
    "Non-Stop", with Liam Neeson being grumpy on an aeroplane, and Michelle Dockery as the most well-spoken flight attendant you'll ever hear.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    'Mama'. Biggest load of shite I've ever seen.
  • Deadman said:
    'Mama'. Biggest load of shite I've ever seen.
    I think I put about it earlier in this gargantuan thread, it is behind turd.  The amount of crap being released under the 'Guilermo Del Toro Presents' banner is depressing.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The Grand Budapest Hotel, absobloodylutely brilliant
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    edited January 2015
    randomhandclaps said: Deadman said: 'Mama'. Biggest load of shite I've ever seen.
    I think I put about it earlier in this gargantuan thread, it is behind turd.  The amount of crap being released under the 'Guilermo Del Toro Presents' banner is depressing.

I'd completely forgotten I'd seen that until I looked it up just now.  I remember it wasn't good, but I quite liked the creature design if nothing else.  It was better than
    Oculus.

"Locke" with Tom Hardy being grumpy in a car.

And nobody else.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    edited January 2015
    Lixarto said:
    "Locke" with Tom Hardy being grumpy in a car.

And nobody else.
    I thought that was pretty good.  I liked how he had his boss down as "Bastard" in his phone.   

I watched The Drop, which also has Tom Hardy in it.  It's quite good, nothing special though.  I'd recommend it if you want something to watch just to pass some time.  

I thought it was very good indeed - a remarkable peformance and a very sure-footed script.

A little too much concrete I think. But yes, "Bastard" :))

(I have met Tom Hardy; he is very charming)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I watched that 'Foxcatcher' today based on the recommendation of Radio 4's film programme. A little intense and I know nothing about wrestling, but I was impressed by Steve Carell's performance as the increasingly mad John DuPont. 
    A surprisingly good watch!
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    I'm surprised by all the love for the grand Budapest hotel in this thread I mean it was good but not great IMHO

Locke would make a good audio book other than the boss joke there's no need to see the screen
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Not a  film but miss d8m has persuaded me to watch Game of Thrones after a year of resisting.

Got to be honest its not as bad as I thought!

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I watched Dumb and Dumber To.
    It is not as good as the first Dumb and Dumber. But..... there are a couple of moments when I was crying with laughter. And a film has not done that since.......Hmmm.....maybe the last time I watched The Jerk.

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10890
    The Quiet Ones on Netflix.Low budget British horror but surprisingly,reasonably decent.Drags a bit in the middle but still pretty creepy.
    Laugh, love, live, learn.