What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• Lots of bits of things over xmas. Finally got around to the last Planet of the Apes one ( Dawn of...is it? ). It's alright but it's not great is it ?
    Skyfall was better than I remembered it, Toy Story 3 is always a bit dissapointing. There were probably some other bits, MrsTheWeary had The last Harry Potter on last night, I'm not a fan but that's easily the worst of the lot.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jurassic Park

It's a small film from 20 years ago about dinosaurs imprisoned on a island by evil humans and their struggle for freedom ;)

Still excellent
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jurassic Park

It's a small film from 20 years ago about dinosaurs imprisoned on a island by evil humans and their struggle for freedom ;)

Still excellent

long time since I read it but I thought the book was excellent too. Started me off reading a bunch of Michael Crichton books but I think that was still the best.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16475
    Avengers Assemble. Completely silly, but I'm a sucker for superhero films, so enjoyed it.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11680
    I caught Despicable Me 2 whilst room-bound with an upset stomach on my travels.

I don't care if it's aimed at kids, it's one of the best films I've ever seen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    scrumhalf;461661" said:
    I caught Despicable Me 2 whilst room-bound with an upset stomach on my travels.

I don't care if it's aimed at kids, it's one of the best films I've ever seen.
    Yup agreed, excellent film. Only bettered by Up.

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4468
    edited January 2015
    Night at the Museum 3 - amazing!

Hobbit 3 - despite bad reviews and some dodgy CGI (Billy Connolly's character) I thought this was the best of the three Hobbit films! The song at the end was amazing, I thought. Was it this (or the one below)?

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 8092
    just watched Hugo - great film despite Sacha Baron Cohen's efforts to spoil it for me .

also watched recently:

Porco Rosso - loved it (though I have seen it before)

The Grand Budapest Hotel - loved it even more ;)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6375

"I Origins"  Just finished watching and really enjoyed it.
    Very deep and mixes up science with spirituality. Great film.

The trailer is a huge-spoiler though, so I recommend seeing the film first.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2884206/

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1506
    Had a bit of a film-a-thon yesterday whilst sat at home doing my usual "fuck all" on NYD. The wife was watching some rubbish on the TV most of the day so I caught up with a few films on the iPad. 

Guardians of the Galaxy - I bet this would have owned watching it on the big screen. However it STILL owned on my small iPad screen. Fucking ace film. 

Gone Girl - David Fincher is probably one of my favourite directors and he rarely disappoints, this is no exception. Absolutely stunning film. Probably one of the best I've ever seen.

Captain Phillips - Predictable ;) but a good film. Kept me up til nearly 2am this morning so it can't have been too bad! 

Oh, also watched Arthur Christmas yesterday morning - properly good Christmas film! 
  • Me and Ms nRollDave made our annual pilgrimage to the cinema over Ecksmas - this time it was Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1, which I thoroughly enjoyed

• To jump into the hobbit debate, I thought that the 3rd one was the best with the "padding out" mostly hurting the first film. I reckon they weren't as good as LOTR overall but I still enjoyed them.

Also saw Guardian of the galaxy the other day, that was ace as well.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1506
    I want to comment on the Hobbit, but after being a massive fan of LOTR, I just cannot get into it as much. I watched the first one and it doesn't have any flow to it and it was difficult to keep my concentration for so long....as such, I've not bothered with 2 or 3 yet :(
  • joneve said:
    I want to comment on the Hobbit, but after being a massive fan of LOTR, I just cannot get into it as much. I watched the first one and it doesn't have any flow to it and it was difficult to keep my concentration for so long....as such, I've not bothered with 2 or 3 yet :(
    From my perspective a lot more happens in each of the other 2 films so it's probably still worth giving it a look. It won;t match LOTR though.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10890
    Watched Oculus last night.Not great but a couple of jumpy moments.Karen Gillan,as always looks stunningly beautiful.

Off to see The Hobbit tonight.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2189
    edited January 2015

Watched Paddington at the pictures this on NYE. Good fun, and will probably get better with more watches too. The mum (mrs brown, human, not bear) was kind of odd looking but kind of tasty too, which was nice.

8/10

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    I watched a mix of old, new and quite a few kids' films over Christmas - Oculus, Out Of Sight, Toy Story 3, 12 Angry Men, Stretch, a bit of Skyfall, the last half hour of Ratatouille, Monsters vs Aliens, Despicable Me, Serial Mom, Snow White and the Hunstsman and probably a couple of other things I've forgotten.  Currently watching Up.

• GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    Best film I saw over Xmas was Rush. Truly brilliant.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Went to see the Hobbit this afternoon.  Have seen all the others so didn't have a huge amount of choice really.   It was ok but as others have said, it jumps straight into the action with no synopsis of whats gone before so the first few minutes take a bit of getting used to.

I still struggle with a relatively short book becoming 3 x 2 hour plus films.  

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Watched Nightcrawler. Outstanding.
    After this...and Prisoners...I was starting to thing that Jake Gyllenhaal can do no wrong in my book. So i watched his other recent movie - Enemy. Oh well....2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Just watched
    The Equaliser (Denzel Washington). Denzel's character works at B&Q/Home depot. But his past life is very complicated. He meets a young girl who is being controlled by Russian gangsters. And he takes them on. :-O
    Film is very violent but is a great watch. Scored 7.3 on Imdb.