What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• Solomon Kane - Curiosity sated, mistake not to be repeated.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • imitation game - no explosions,guns,violence,gore or naked women , a refreshing change from my usual movie choices.

excellent. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited December 2014
    boogieman said:
    VimFuego;438109" said:
    Battleship. erm, best that can be said is that it's 2 hours of my life I'm not getting back.
    Saw that too. Agreed it was awful. The speech the captain gives to the old timers is hysterical though.

>:D<
    I watched that a few weeks ago on my laptop during lunch breaks (took a couple of days).

I like to imagine the meeting where the idea was pitched, with the whole thing pivoting around that scene where they are actually playing the Battleship game. That must have been the nugget of an idea that the rest of the film was built around. Must have been a great pitch to get that movie made.

"It's a miss!"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    The Book Of Life

The usual modern kids' CGI animation type thing, but better than most. Stunning graphics, not bad story and characterisation, just a tiny bit weak at the end for the usual 'happy ending'. (I can think of a much better way of ending it, but possibly a bit dark for kids.)

Directed by Guillermo del Toro… quite versatile, he is.

Some amusing use of music you will recognise too :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Remake of 'Robocop'. Best that can be said for it is that it made me want to re-watch the original 'Robocop' :/ can we pinpoint the year where it became a requirement for every film lead to spend at least twenty minutes getting in touch with his/her feelings?
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    edited December 2014
    I think generally someone getting in touch with their feelings takes 5 minutes unless it's a cyborg or Tom Cruise - they take longer and you're not entirely sure they're not faking it.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12660
    St Vincent - Bill Murray on top form, highly recommended.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    This thread took some finding.

The theory of everything, perfect. Can't fault it at all, should clean up at the awards
    My V key is broken
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014

Nightcrawler : About a guy who films crime and accident footage for TV news 

Very Good
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies.

A bit of a mx - I'll probably watch it again, but you get the feeling it was finished right at the last minute.  Some of the CGI is a little weak, but it'll probably get sorted for the DVDs like they did with the Two Towers.

Billy Connolly has an amusing cameo, but there's a very silly CGI addition to the film which, if you think about it, makes the rest of it pointless.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25567
    IanSavage said:
    Remake of 'Robocop'. Best that can be said for it is that it made me want to re-watch the original 'Robocop' :/ can we pinpoint the year where it became a requirement for every film lead to spend at least twenty minutes getting in touch with his/her feelings?

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    edited December 2014
    The Imitation Game. 9.9 out of 10. Only the dodgy CGI of the bombing raids let it down.

I fancy seeing the Stephen Hawking one next. I also feel duty bound to see The Hobbit 3 having waded through the first two. I wish Guillermo Del Toro (sp?) had got the directing gig. :(
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    boogieman said:
    I also feel duty bound to see The Hobbit 3 having waded through the first two. I wish Guillermo Del Toro (sp?) had got the directing gig. :(
    Under normal circumstances I'd agree about del Toro, but seeing as the only film he's actually managed to make since dropping out of the Hobbit franchise is Pacific Rim, I'm not so sure any more.
  • The Hobbit 3

Not as good as 2 but OK ,  left feeling a little underwhelmed.Considering its called the Battle of the five armies the battles in LOTR 2 and 3 were much bigger and more epic.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    "G.I. Joe The Rise of Cobra."

Oh, my giddy aunt. What a load of codswallop. I switched off after struggling through the first half hour.

• bobblehat said:
    The Hobbit 3

Not as good as 2 but OK ,  left feeling a little underwhelmed.Considering its called the Battle of the five armies the battles in LOTR 2 and 3 were much bigger and more epic.
    Not as good as 2...wow, it must be really disappointing then!

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    edited December 2014
    not_the_dj;448535" said:
    bobblehat said:

The Hobbit 3

Not as good as 2...wow, it must be really disappointing then!

I started losing my faith in Peter Jackson when he made his bloated version of King Kong and lost it altogether after the woefully misguided adaptation of The Lovely Bones.

Now he's inexplicably managed to make a 10-hour movie out of The Hobbit.  It's the very definition of "padded out".  Thank God he adapted LOTR first, it would be about three weeks long if he made it now.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    Philly_Q said:
    I started losing my faith in Peter Jackson when he made his bloated version of King Kong and lost it altogether after the woefully misguided adaptation of The Lovely Bones.

Now he's inexplicably managed to make a 10-hour movie out of The Hobbit.  It's the very definition of "padded out".  Thank God he adapted LOTR first, it would be about three weeks long if he made it now.

I sat through the first two hours of the first LOTR and it already seemed like three weeks...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16475
    well, I like the Hobbit, even if it is overblown and eversoslightly padded out.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• I haven't read either book, and have the extended blurays of LOTR and so far have watched only the first Hobbit. I liked it, but not as much as LOTR. It felt a little slow, whereas LOTR actually flows better in the longer versions. Haven't seen the second one yet but have it downloaded, theoretically in time to catch up and see the last one in the cinema, but unlikely to have time before it's finished its run.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires