What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Watched Guardians of the Galaxy again and still good.

New Dracula movie not so much.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25598
    12 years a slave.   Pretty gruesome watching.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Charge - Documentary about electric motorbikes at the TT. Pretty interesting for me.
    My V key is broken
  • Intersteller.    Save your money.   

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6546
    Interstellar. 2/10

It's atrocious. A very small story stretched wafer-thin over a huge backdrop. It was slow moving (the irony) and shallow, when it could have been deep. The reasonable attempts at portraying the likely realities of space travel were completely undermined by the daftest of tacked-on happy endings that I've ever seen. Might as well have just thrown in some magic.

(It didn't help that I saw it in Cambridge with a lot of junior space cadet students who guffawed knowngly every time some character tried to explain relativity - a roomful of Sheldons.)

The cinema I was in was fairly small and the dialogue was often drowned out by the soundtrack. Didn't matter too much, because the dialogue isn't exactly dripping with wit or meaning. And that music! There's so much very dramatic and majestic orchestral pieces that just don't support the on-screen movie. Here comes another crescendo to end a scene that's got no drama left in it.

Overall, it's as if 2001 was focus-grouped and retold with added saccharin.

The most unforgivable problem: it's a science fiction film, and nothing was awesome and there was no wonder in it. 3 hours that felt more like 5.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25567
    goldtop said:
    Interstellar. 2/10

It's atrocious. A very small story stretched wafer-thin over a huge backdrop. It was slow moving (the irony) and shallow, when it could have been deep. The reasonable attempts at portraying the likely realities of space travel were completely undermined by the daftest of tacked-on happy endings that I've ever seen. Might as well have just thrown in some magic.

(It didn't help that I saw it in Cambridge with a lot of junior space cadet students who guffawed knowngly every time some character tried to explain relativity - a roomful of Sheldons.)

The cinema I was in was fairly small and the dialogue was often drowned out by the soundtrack. Didn't matter too much, because the dialogue isn't exactly dripping with wit or meaning. And that music! There's so much very dramatic and majestic orchestral pieces that just don't support the on-screen movie. Here comes another crescendo to end a scene that's got no drama left in it.

Overall, it's as if 2001 was focus-grouped and retold with added saccharin.

The most unforgivable problem: it's a science fiction film, and nothing was awesome and there was no wonder in it. 3 hours that felt more like 5.

Nolan was on the telly explaining that the lack of clarity in dialogue was intentional in some places - to let the viewer know how loud the surroundings really are.

Memento was ace, but every film after that gets more and more bloated and unsatisfying.

He is the new M Night Shyamalan. Supremely popular for about 5 mins, and then the quick slide to oblivion will begin.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• american splendor (love this film :-)

i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109

I love American Splendor!   Wish it was available on Blu-ray.

• Cuban Fury - Laughed out loud several times and my wife didn't fall asleep , so that's an 8/10 in our house.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    d8m said:
    Went and watched The Imitation Game last night with Miss d8m.

Solid 9/10 from us.

Saw it this afternoon. Brilliant. 9 out of 10 from me too.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    Just watched "Apocalypse Now" Director's cut again. I can't help thinking they should have manned-up and released it like that in the first place. A masterpiece.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    Just watched "Apocalypse Now" Director's cut again. I can't help thinking they should have manned-up and released it like that in the first place. A masterpiece.
    You would think the studios would have learnt from the fact that *every* Director's Cut, without exception that I can think of, is better than the studio cut.

You wonder why they even bother to employ directors in the first place if they don't let them finish the job how they want...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    I'm guessing the subsequent potential for riots in the U.S. might have had something to do with it.

• paulkpaulk Frets: 319
    I re-watched 28 Days Later the other night. What a cracking film that is!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Rambo First Blood
    twas on ITV45 or something last night. Still a decent watch but the song over the end credits just doesn't fit at all
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• The Signal 6/10

Lowish budget scifi mystery. Not bad, though I spotted the plot a mile off. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    edited November 2014
    Interstellar. Well actually I walked after about 90 minutes but words can not adequately describe just how bad those 90 minutes were. Goldtop giving it 2/10 was talking it up quite a bit.

However....

If you like good sci-fi films, this is going to be awesome on the big screen...

http://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/news-bfi/announcements/bfi-rerelease-stanley-kubricks-2001
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    Hmm I've seen nightcrawler. Which I didn't really rate. Gone girl which I thought was very good. And the seventh seal which I quite enjoyed.
    Oh and I did watch Withnail and I remastered in 4k. Which is always fun to watch. "of course he's the fucking farmer!"
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Has anyone seen that film about a tyre that can murder people with it;s mind?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    Has anyone seen that film about a tyre that can murder people with it;s mind?
    Rubber?  Yeah, I've seen it.