What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    I watched The Drop, which also has Tom Hardy in it.  It's quite good, nothing special though.  I'd recommend it if you want something to watch just to pass some time. 
    Just watched that this afternoon with my wife.

Enjoyed it; Tom Hardy being grumpy in a NYC bar.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1424
    equalsql;475134" said:
    "Predestination". A time travel/paradox flick with Ethan Hawke and Sarah Snook. 

Pretty good actually  .. if just a little bit warped.

Definitely worth watching.
    I think everyone figures out its slightly disturbing twist about a third of the way in to the film at most don't they?
    Spoiler alert:
    I do quite like the inevitable futility take on time travel, but this film doesn't really offer much besides the, and indeed it is warped, moment of realisation that blank is actually blank and blank and blank and even blank.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Lixarto;473542" said:
    breakstuff said:

The Purge.

The whole concept is utter nonsense,as is the film itself.

Yes. A pile of shite.
    Really? Was it anything other than exactly what it said it was going to be?
    I thought it was a perfectly competent film, if you like that kind of thing.
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2189

Watched 'Postman Pat - The Movie'

Actually not as bad as you'd think given that postman pat is the worst postman ever. How can keep a job when he loses the mail EVERY day!?!

Some nice jokes for the parents, and his Mrs looked like a right go-er. 6/10

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• Recently I have watched The Grand Budapest Hotel, very quirky movie, awesome cast.

Also X-Men: Days of Future Past. An enjoyable movie, if a little long.

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

edited January 2015
    You could do all kinds of interesting storytelling with the concept of that film.

They did none.

Pile of shit.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Lixarto said:
    You could do all kinds of interesting storytelling with the concept of that film.

They did none.

Pile of shit.
    This was my thinking.  I really enjoyed the idea and thought it would be a horror with a good story, and for the focus to be on the story (like The Ring - there isn't a huge amount of actual scary stuff but it maintains tension through story telling). 

It was, sadly, quite bad. 
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10890
    Just a boring house siege film with no tension or wit and full of incredibly stupid characters.

Though the bit at the end where Lena Headey's character chins her neighbour is unintentionally hilarious.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16475
    keep trying to watch Dark Knight, but it's kinda slow and very long and goes on way past my bed time (I turn into a beautiful princess if I'm not in bed by midnight, or something), is it worth persevering with/buying on DVD?

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2189
    edited January 2015
    Nope. All of the recent Batman films are over rated imo. Far too long. What they need to do is release an Editor's cut in place of a Director's cut, the difference being that instead of loads of extra scenes being put in, the whole film will be about an hour shorter.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Definitely worth it Vim.Stick with it,the second half is very good.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16667
    Wisdom for Mr Decker. Having re watched the Dark Knight recently I like it but it winds on far too long.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Nope. All of the recent Batman films are over rate imo.
    Pretty much.

I quite liked the first one, but after that ...

I thought Heath Ledger was pretty poor as the Joker, and Bane was a waste of Tom Hardy. Michael Caine was great though.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    VimFuego said:
    keep trying to watch Dark Knight, but it's kinda slow and very long and goes on way past my bed time (I turn into a beautiful princess if I'm not in bed by midnight, or something), is it worth persevering with/buying on DVD?
    I'd guess if you're already describing it as "kinda slow" and "persevering", then you probably won't enjoy the whole thing..!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • The greatest thing Christopher Nolan did with his Batman trilogy was save Anne Hathaway's leather clad arse reveal until the 3rd film.  Had he bunged that into Batman Begins then the whole thing would have gone downhill fast for me from there.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74496
    edited January 2015
    VimFuego said:
    I would say yes. I thought it was too slow at first as well, but I watched it just long enough to get into it. If nothing else, Heath Ledger is mesmerising - one of the best screen baddies ever. Two Face is somewhat wasted though (I won't say any more in case it spoils it, if you are going to watch it.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

yeah, I thought heath ledger was excellent. It was like he'd spent a long time studying how mad, criminal types act and behave and thought "nah, fuck it I'm just gonna go completely OTT".

Think I'll pick it up cheap on DVD and have another go (just can't stay up till midnight).

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Smaltzy, syrupy ending aside I great film. Realised it's nearly 30 years old, where the fuck have all those years gone?!?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1424
    John Wicke - actually really quite okay, for a revenge-kill-everyone type film starring Keanu Reeves.
    Armageddon.

Christ I forgot how bad that film is.