What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74496
    The best I will give it is the mask thing and that it's the best of the Moore ones… and is probably better than Diamonds Are Forever, even though Connery is the best Bond.

Not a patch on the first five though. Those are the only real Bond films, for me. You Only Live Twice reached the point of brilliance and self-parody at the same time and it was all downhill from there, except possibly for Skyfall.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    ICBM said:
    Not a patch on the first five though. Those are the only real Bond films, for me. You Only Live Twice reached the point of brilliance and self-parody at the same time and it was all downhill from there, except possibly for Skyfall.

That's a great description of You Only Live Twice!  Although personally I think they overbalanced too far into self-parody and I've never liked the film - especially the bit where Bond disguises himself as Japanese, which absolutely infuriates me.  I know that puts me in a minority, it seems to be one of the more highly rated Bond movies generally.

I don't really have a strong opinion about who was the best Bond.  For each actor there are good and bad films.  Connery, Moore and Brosnan all carried on for at least one film too many, Dalton did too few and even poor old George Lazenby should probably have been given one more chance.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16667
    It's probably the best of the Moore ones. Eric Jr. hadn't seen it before and at points thought Bond was creepy ( as in basically a dirty old man) which from a current perspective is pretty true. I like the New Orleans stuff but the scenes in Jamaica with the voodoo are rather cringeworthy. The outside scenes in New York are great though - very evocative of that time;when I went to Los Angeles with my father he was rather disappointed that it didn't look like that. Not great at geography was my dad...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16475
    tried again last night to watch van helsing. Probably my best attempt yet, got to an hour and half this time.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fatherjackfatherjack Frets: 180
    edited January 2015
    VimFuego said:
    tried again last night to watch van helsing. Probably my best attempt yet, got to an hour and half this time.
    There really isn't any need;  it's just the script from The Mummy with a bit of search-and-replace to alter the context.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    VimFuego said:
    There really isn't any need;  it's just the script from The Mummy with a bit of search-and-replace to alter the context.
    Yeah but it's got Kate Beckinsale in that red dress (just ignore the silly accent)

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    Van Helsing with Kate in that black skin-tight suit. It's worth watching for that alone. Who cares if the film's shit?

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    Daniel Craig is not suave enough to play James Bond, he's too much of a thug, in my view.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Watched Guardians of the Galaxy for the second time today.  I am a fan (along with my daughter) of the Marvel films it has to be said.  Anyway, it made me laugh where appropriate and I enjoyed the action and music.
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Daniel Craig is not suave enough to play James Bond, he's too much of a thug, in my view.
    Ah, but Bond is an orphan and was always on the rough, self preserving side. I was dubious about Daniel Craig but I can see him in Flemming's books. I think he brings the necessary violence and coldness back into it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Daniel Craig is not suave enough to play James Bond, he's too much of a thug, in my view.
    I like his version of Bond.  It's kind of darker and more of what you'd think Bond would really be like from all the years of killing people.   
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    Bond is a thug in the original books. I prefer Sean Connery because he was the Bond I grew up with, but DC is the best of the rest.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Saw Kingsman: The Secret Service last night. Way better than any Bond film (but I don't generally like Bond). I wasn't sure of it when I saw the trailer, but fancied it when I saw it was a Matthew Vaughn film. Managed to get a free preview ticket. It's got the visceral violence of Kick Ass, but it's so British. 
    My V key is broken
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25567
    holnrew said:
    Saw Kingsman: The Secret Service last night. Way better than any Bond film (but I don't generally like Bond). I wasn't sure of it when I saw the trailer, but fancied it when I saw it was a Matthew Vaughn film. Managed to get a free preview ticket. It's got the visceral violence of Kick Ass, but it's so British. 
    Right then. I need a ticket. Sounds perfect!

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• Sorry to derail the Bond chat but I went to see The Imitation Game on Sunday. It's pretty good, Cumberpatch is excellent and suprisingly, so is Kiera Knightley.

I've been introducing my new lady friend to some movies, last week we had Big Trouble in Little China followed by a bit of Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang.

"As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1542
    edited January 2015
    I thought the Imitation game was fantastic. I wasnt sure on Cumberpatch whether i rated him or not but i do now. He is brilliant in this film.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I did see The Sweeney over the weekend.

Excellent, mindless stuff.

I also saw a filum called "Shockwave".

Basically big miliary robots get free on a barely inhabited island. T'wasn't good.... 

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16475
    mike_l said:

I also saw a filum called "Shockwave".

Basically big miliary robots get free on a barely inhabited island. T'wasn't good.... 

haven't seen it, but I always wonder how it's possible to make a bad film given that basic premise. In an ordered, rational universe it should be impossible.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6375
    Me and the missus watched 'Belle' last night, a period drama starring Gugu Mbatha-Raw (who is drop-dead gorgeous) , with the excellent Tom Wilkinson, Miranda Richardson and Emily Watson.
    Not as 'fluffy' as I expected as it's backdrop is the infamous Zong massacre of slaves in 1781.

Highly recommended.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang.

One of my favourites
    My V key is broken