What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25107
    Devil's Tower - bloody awful tedious zombie/horror nonsense starring Roxanne Pallett (32), out of Emmerdale, as a teenager.  Also starring former Eurovision entrant Frances Ruffelle (49) and, inexplicably, Jason Mewes (40) out of Jay and Silent Bob.

The Purge: Anarchy - I still think the concept's pretty silly but it's a bit better than the first film.  I quite liked it.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1810
    edited April 2015
    The Gambler - Wahlberg was pretty good (for himself) but movie still worse than original. If you like blackjack though...

6/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2015
    Oh, and Spongebob - The movie. I've never actually seen the series on TV and went to the cinema thinking (with guys from work, don't ask ;) that I might get some decent sleep but it was pretty funny. Mostly toilet humor, but few good lines too.

7/10
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10890
    I'm off to see the Spongebob movie at the weekend.Can't wait.

Ironically,I had to persuade my twelve year old son to go because he said he was too old for it.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2189
    Took my 5 year old to the Sponge Bob movie on Monday. He loved it. I thought I'd eaten some bad shrooms or something. Especially the bit with the Bubbles the Dolphin 'watcher of the universe'. Some freaky shit brah.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    Thank you for smoking

The story of a lobbyist acting on behalf the tobacco industry . Great film and recommended
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25598
    The Imitation Game.  About Alan Turing's work at Bletchley Park breaking the German Enigma code.  Benedict Cumberpatch as Turing and Kiera Knightly as one of his colleagues.  One of the best films I've seen.  4(G9 H#D} out of ten.

Highly recommended.

Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2492
    Interstellar
    A few posts up I said I wasn't interested in 2 hr plus films so I decided to ease myself back into the swing if things with a close to 3hr one.
    Matthew McConaughey is some sort of ex astronaut on earth where food is becoming harder to grow so the plan is to explore for a new planet through a wormhole that has appeared.
    I was preparing to get bored because of the length of the film but it was OK. Usual plot holes you could pick but overall I enjoyed it. Not quite as intelligent as Inception or Memento but glad I watched it
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25107
    edited April 2015
    The Equalizer  
    Very silly indeed but undeniably well done and I did enjoy it.  Probably wouldn't have worked without Denzel Washington to give it a bit of gravitas, he's excellent (but not hilariously pompous like Edward Woodward was in the TV series).

• hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    I've just got around to sorting out that KODI doodah on my puter & I watched Tin tin's adventures of "The secret of the Unicorn" which I thoroughly enjoyed
    :D
    edited April 2015
    Just finished " Imitation Game" - very interesting indeed - Cumberbatch was absolutely great, not over the top and just confirmed that he's currently one of the most perspective British actors (and I must admit I wasn't his fan to begin with).
    Of course Polish mathematicians input is barely acknowledged - like in most of american/English movies about decrypting enigma, but I'm used to that ;) good film.

7.5/10
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    The Monuments Men

A fairly routine film about saving looted artworks from the Nazis at the end of WWII. Low-key performance from George Clooney (who also produced and directed, maybe he didn't want to overdo it), Cate Blanchett hamming it up a bit too much as a Frenchwoman, but strangely enough I thought the best acting performance was from John Goodman - playing a typical character for him, but doing it very well.

7/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28752
    Ghost in the Shell

Classic anime. Kinda Blade Runner meets the Matrix and obviously ripped off by Hollywood multiple times and ways. Very good, although I noticed it didn't really have any subplots, though most films do. Maybe it's an anime thing. Not sure. 

8/10

Next up is Akira 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2015
    "Railway Man" - another sad war story about cruelty of people. I liked the ending (don't want to spoil for those who haven't seen the picture). Great shots too... Such a beautiful country who have suffered such a horror..

8/10
  • FazerFazer Frets: 488
    John Wick = Jizz Wank

(and not in a good way)
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434

Making my way through the documentaries on netflix.

This one was pretty eye opening

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10890
    Any other good ones to watch @d8m?

I've been looking for some good docs to get my teeth into.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • FazerFazer Frets: 488
    going clear, a doc about scientology was good, and there is also the panorama one on youtube
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    'The White Countess'

Such promise - Ralph Fiennes and just about the entire Redgrave/Richardson dynasty in a Merchant-Ivory production set in Shanghai in the 1930s - what could possibly go wrong?

Well… dreadful fake accents, predictable characters, borderline racist stereotyping, bad acting, clichéd back-story, massive plot improbability and dubious historical accuracy for a start. I have no idea why I watched it all.

5/10, and even that only due to being reasonably well-filmed.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Tone71Tone71 Frets: 637
    The Wedding Ringer - Typically retarded but funny in parts.