What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• About Time.

Not entirely dissimilar to The Time Traveller's Wife, in that it's about a chap who...travels in time.

British film, great acting, clever story and gently funny too.
    Thank god I didn't know it was a Richard Curtis film until the end credits or I'd have never enjoyed it. Thankfully no token disabled characters to show how utterly worthy Curtis is, just a good story.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    About Time.

Not entirely dissimilar to The Time Traveller's Wife, in that it's about a chap who...travels in time.

British film, great acting, clever story and gently funny too.
    Thank god I didn't know it was a Richard Curtis film until the end credits or I'd have never enjoyed it. Thankfully no token disabled characters to show how utterly worthy Curtis is, just a good story.

Blimey I forgot I ever saw that till I saw your post - good film :)

If you want another good British comedy about time travel try 'FAQ About Time Travel' - highly recommended

All practice and no theory
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1810
    Just finished watching "Citizen four" - documentary by Laura Poitras about NSA operations and Edward Snowden sharing classified documents regarding electronic invigilation. Strong thing.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6375
    equalsql;543095" said:
    Wild.. with Reese Witherspoon.  Excellent, pretty deep and spiritual, about a women trying to lone hike the 1100 miles of the Pacific coast trail. 
    It wasn't bad, but nowhere near as good as "Into the Wild". I strongly recommend that if You liked "Wild".
    Yep, I've seen that too @BigBearKris and really enjoyed it. It was one of those films that stuck in my head for ages.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    Just finished watching "Citizen four" - documentary by Laura Poitras about NSA operations and Edward Snowden sharing classified documents regarding electronic invigilation. Strong thing.
    I just watched that and couldn't see the story because I always thought the NSA would monitor everything .... and rightly so 

The judge :

Hotshot lawyer returns to the sticks for the death of his mother and to defend his judge father on a hit & run murder charge. Bit longer than it needs to be and rightly so
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Coherence (2013).. mind bending...
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10890
    Fury.Not much of a story but the battle scenes are brilliant.Whack yer surround sound on extra loud and enjoy.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 565
    The Look of Love - Paul Raymond Biopic with Steve Coogan.

Better than expected.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    Skyline.
    Crap.
    :-S
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1810
    Zero Dark Thirty - for the 2nd time. I like the movie, even though full of American pride etc - it's amazing the amount of work put into finding and eliminating OBL.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    bobblehat said:
    The Look of Love - Paul Raymond Biopic with Steve Coogan.

Better than expected.
    Ah yeah I must watch that.  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    (Finally!)

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (yes the first one :) ).

We missed it at the cinema somehow but HMV were doing the DVD for £3 if you bought anything else, so I did.

Totally wonderful. Yes, there's a fair amount of cheese and cliché, and a few of the plot points are pretty predictable, but I actually thought they added to the whole surreal fable-like nature of it and made it even more moving, rather than less. The only slight flaw was Maggie Smith's transformation from racist old bat into saviour of the hotel was perhaps a little too sudden, but other than that, perfect.

9/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    Zero Dark Thirty - for the 2nd time. I like the movie, even though full of American pride etc - it's amazing the amount of work put into finding and eliminating OBL.
    ^This - Very watchable.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Rio - Enjoyable animation. They made the birds move like the real thing. A bit light and fluffy, but it is a kid's film.
    My V key is broken
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    edited March 2015
    Foxcatcher. 

Wasn't a single fox in it.

Bit on the long side aswell.

• JadenJaden Frets: 251

A River Runs Through It

The age old tale of two brothers growing up who go fishing, met women, then die. (true story too, which is nice). T'was very good.

this was an excellent film, deeply sad though.

just watched what I thought would be a horrible chick flick but it wasnt, great film called.

About Time
    Jaden Rose Guitars :: Jaden Rose Guitars on Facebook :: My Facebook :: YouTube

The young do not know enough to be prudent, therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it, generation after generation.

• bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 565
    Fury - Short on plot but big on action
    Divergent - Hungergamesesque sci fi nonsense but enjoyable enough
    The Watch - Ben Stiller sci fi comedy much funnier than I expected.  
    Mrs9000 decided we were going to watch Walking on Sunshine the other night. Truly awful. Avoid.

As an aside Leona Lewis turns up in this. There seem to be a number of X-Factor / BGT winners and runners up that we were promised would be the next big thing who then do very little musically but end up doing bit parts in movies, I'm a Celeb, or Family Fortunes instead.
    Rock of Ages - TBH my expectations were pretty low but I was pleasantly surprised. OK, it's never going to win at Cannes but it kept me entertained for an hour and a half. Pure cheese. Oh, and Tom Cruise was pretty good as Stacey Jaxx, a Jim Morrison type rock god.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    edited March 2015
    Fury .. wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised. Not your usual 'Yanks shoot up everything' hero movie. Some real characters, good battle scenes especially with a real Tiger tank. If you like war films worth a punt.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!