What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I started watching Girl Next Door, but got fed up with it. "You want to have sex with me? I thought you were different?" *then goes and has sex with a random guy*
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28752
    Plane time, so more fillums for me:

Whiplash. Excellent, despite the airline "politeness" filter (*really* badly recorded and mixed, fwiw). Also the fact that he writes on his music IN PEN!! But aside from that, very good and will watch in its full sweary glory asap.

Hunger Games 3.1
    Good but not as good as #2 but still has Jennifer Lawrence in it and still a decent film. Wished it wasn't another cliffhanger type ending though. 

Interstellar (first 2 hours)
    I liked this more than I expected, particularly on a crappy and tiny A320 screen. Etihad turned off the screens 35 minutes before landing though, so I have no idea if the end's any good. Will be avoiding this thread until I've torrented the last 40 minutes!!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    Well, having watched Blues Brothers the other week, I managed to find the sequel - Blues Brothers 2000. Not half as good as the original but still entertaining. Includes appearances from BB King, EC, Bo Didley, Aretha Franklin, Wilson Pickett, Eddie Floyd, Taj Mahal, etc, etc. Best of all it was only £2.50 at a local charity shop.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    I've never seen the Blues Brothers.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16667
    boogieman said:

:-O y'know it has John Lee Hooker in it? Ray Charles? Aretha Frankiln? Steve Cropper? Twiggy?
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    EricTheWeary;566045" said:
    boogieman said:

:-O y'know it has John Lee Hooker in it? Ray Charles? Aretha Frankiln? Steve Cropper? Twiggy?
    I knew some of those. John Lee Hooker you say ? Now that I didn't know, I must make an effort to see it then !

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16314
    watched a couple of mental pix on Netflix......the devils rejects and house of 1000 corpses......sick shit right there
    tae be or not tae be
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28752
    Interstellar (including the last 40 minutes)

Good. Much better on a big TV with surround than on a shitty plane screen with crackly sound. Bit of a cheesy happy ending but satisfying enough. Hans Zimmer gets a bit thumbs up for a 2001-esque soundtrack that doesn't resort to his usual "BONG" noises. Makes me want to watch 2001 again :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25108
    hootsmon said:
    watched a couple of mental pix on Netflix......the devils rejects and house of 1000 corpses......sick shit right there
    Classics!  Rob Zombie's gone off the boil a bit since, unfortunately.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16667
    boogieman said:
    EricTheWeary;566045" said:
    boogieman said:

I knew some of those. John Lee Hooker you say ? Now that I didn't know, I must make an effort to see it then !

for about two minutes only, admittedly, but he is there.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • matdotcodotmatdotcodot Frets: 179
    Watched Out of the Furnace recently, very springsteenesque, probably the best film I have seen in a slow burn kinda way, really want to see Whiplash though.
    A gentleman is someone who can play the Ukulele, but doesn't.

My feedback thread is here.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57602/

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Mortified Nation, a documentary on Netflix. It's about these nights at clubs where people read their embarrassing diaries/letters whatever that they had written when they were younger. I really enjoyed it, funny and moving.
    My V key is broken
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2492
    I just can't be arsed with films at the minute, I'm either not in the mood for 2 1/2 hrs of possible rubbish or I can't find a half interesting documentary so I've been watching Dave Grohls Sonic Highways series. 2 of those in 1 hour shows is easier to watch than a 2hr film, weird.
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    The Diving Bell And The Butterfly

Strange, quite touching French film about a man with locked-in syndrome after a stroke. Worth watching if that hasn't put you off already...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

matdotcodot;566585" said:
    Watched Out of the Furnace recently, very springsteenesque, probably the best film I have seen in a slow burn kinda way, really want to see Whiplash though.
    Thought Out of the Furnace was excellent fare.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 3027
    Guardians of the Galaxy.   Very good.  Some very funny moments.  Great characters.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Myranda said:
    Calvary (not cavalry as myself and several others have read it as previously). 

Equally brilliant with hints of comedy and F***KING misserable! We're talking borderline wrist-cuttingly sad. Brendan Gleeson is as always, brilliant. The scenery and pace is just right for setting the mood.

Don't watch if you're wanting a happy film.

Bought this the other day due to the great reviews. Advertised as a black comedy but failed to see any humour in this largely depressing film. None of the characters, except perhaps the Brendan Gleeson, have any redeeming features. Not the masterpiece it's been hailed as and 2 hours of my life I won't get back. Couldn't recommend.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    The Railway Man

Which is not really about trains… and also don't watch it if you're wanting a happy film.

No great surprises even if you haven't read the book, but extremely well-made and a powerful story. Colin Firth is as excellent as usual in his more serious roles, and Nicole Kidman isn't too bad. Some of the period detail was distinctly dodgy if you know the British locations, but it didn't spoil it.

8/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10890
    Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter.Now with a name like that you'd expect a bit a humour with tongue stuck firmly in cheek.I'm waiting for the laughs to come along and it just doesn't happen.Takes itself far too seriously.

A few good set pieces with great special effects but not a great film.

Looking forward to the follow up,Margaret Thatcher,Paedo Zombie Slayer though.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lucy (Another mind bender)
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?