What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• DaleftyDalefty Frets: 509
    Emp_Fab said:
    Black Sea (2014 - Jude Law).  Utter shite.  So shite in fact, that I just signed up to Rotten Tomatoes just so that I could leave this review:-

Laughably bad.  Submarines that can *only* be crewed by no less than exactly nine people, a "driveshaft" from a Nazi WW2 sub that is actually a crankshaft from a car engine and miraculously fits a cold war era Soviet sub, an escape from "hull crush depth" in torpedo tubes (impossible) in what appear to be thin rubber suits with zip-up (I kid you not!) plastic hoods, and.... the piece de resistance....  gold...  wait for it...        ...that floats.

Yes.... floating gold.

If I'd paid to see this in the cinema, I'd have demanded a refund, and as much floating gold as I could carry home.

The suits where actually real escape suits, I've used one before when I had to do my national service training - not from hull crushing depths, but from 60 meters, at their most basic principal they are nothing but lift bags that inflate through your exhalation aswell as a compressed gas canister. 

DaLefty
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25596
    Could they float to the surface when filled with gold bars ?  Would the wearers have survived ejection from hull-crush depth ?  Roughly 400psi pressure.  No mention of the bends either.  

'tis a load of spanglywank I tells thee.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5149
    Emp_Fab said:
    Would the wearers have survived ejection from hull-crush depth ?
    Simple answer there. NO.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • DaleftyDalefty Frets: 509
    edited May 2015
    Emp_Fab said:
    Could they float to the surface when filled with gold bars ?  Would the wearers have survived ejection from hull-crush depth ?  Roughly 400psi pressure.  No mention of the bends either.  

Yes, I've survived it from 300 feet due to faulty equipment and I didn't get the bends, not even a head ache, you exhale all the way up, and the gas in your lungs expands as you surface, so your lungs are never technically fully empty, and the bends is dissolved nitrogen, and gold bars can be floated, it will take 31 litres of air to lift 31kg of gold off of the sea floor, 1 litre of air will lift roughly 1kg, or to be exact turn 1kg of mass into neutral bouyancy.  Don't forget that roughly 70+% of the human body is water/liquid, and water and liquids do not crush, the world record for an open circuit dive, standard scuba equipment, so nothing specialized, is over 400 meters, thats over 1200 feet, granted it was a bounce dive, but it still took over 24 hours to complete.

400psi is roughly 923 feet of depth, and at 3.3 feet per meter that is under 300 meters, closer to 280 meters, now have a look at what the worlds free diving world record is, if you want to be truly shocked, and the world deepest air dive is and the worlds deepest open circuit dive is, ad that is before you get into specialized equipment like rebreathers and such.

DaLefty
    Both dog and owner available for stud, please contact DaLefty if interested
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    Mrs R and I watched "Downfall" last night - a German film (about the last few days of Hitler's reign) with English subtitles. 

We both agreed it was excellent - Bruno Ganz as Hitler is absolutely superb.

It's quite a long film at two and a half hours, but it is totally gripping so doesn't feel that long.

Anybody who hasn't seen it I thoroughly recommend it - it's the best film I've seen in years.
    We are all Chameleons...
  • FazerFazer Frets: 488
    2010 - the follow up to 2001 made in 1984 with roy scheider, john lithgow, helen mirren and someone who played keyboards with queens of the stone age. seriously.

the set design and space effects are really good, and if you are a fan of 2001 then have a look
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74488
    TonyR said:
    Mrs R and I watched "Downfall" last night - a German film (about the last few days of Hitler's reign) with English subtitles. 

We both agreed it was excellent - Bruno Ganz as Hitler is absolutely superb.

It's quite a long film at two and a half hours, but it is totally gripping so doesn't feel that long.

Anybody who hasn't seen it I thoroughly recommend it - it's the best film I've seen in years.
    It is utterly brilliant, and it's a shame that Ganz's performance has now become associated with endless overdubbed "Hitler rants" about just about everything. He was mesmerising and made Hitler disturbingly 'human' in a way that is normally missed by the usual caricatures.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    ICBM said:
    He was mesmerising and made Hitler disturbingly 'human' in a way that is normally missed by the usual caricatures.
    I couldn't agree more
    We are all Chameleons...
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Rush - Pretty good, overly dramatised the relationship though. Daniel Bruhl was fantastic, as usual.

Pitch Perfect - A rewatch because the sequel's nearly out. As much fun as I remembered it being, and this time I could fancy all the women without a girlfriend feeling insecure.
    My V key is broken
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Dalefty said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Yes, I've survived it from 300 feet due to faulty equipment and I didn't get the bends, not even a head ache, you exhale all the way up, and the gas in your lungs expands as you surface, so your lungs are never technically fully empty, and the bends is dissolved nitrogen, and gold bars can be floated, it will take 31 litres of air to lift 31kg of gold off of the sea floor, 1 litre of air will lift roughly 1kg, or to be exact turn 1kg of mass into neutral bouyancy.  Don't forget that roughly 70+% of the human body is water/liquid, and water and liquids do not crush, the world record for an open circuit dive, standard scuba equipment, so nothing specialized, is over 400 meters, thats over 1200 feet, granted it was a bounce dive, but it still took over 24 hours to complete.

400psi is roughly 923 feet of depth, and at 3.3 feet per meter that is under 300 meters, closer to 280 meters, now have a look at what the worlds free diving world record is, if you want to be truly shocked, and the world deepest air dive is and the worlds deepest open circuit dive is, ad that is before you get into specialized equipment like rebreathers and such.

DaLefty

Boom!
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2492
    Made Of Stone

Stone Roses documentary by Shane Meadows. Early footage and interviews mixed in with the more current reforming and Heaton Park gig. OK to waste 90 minutes
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16666
    The Wolverine. I thought it was okay. I suspect I'm never going to find any superhero film to be really great, as by and large I couldn't give a toss, but this seemed watchable and had some nice bits.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25103
    On the subject of Wolverine and company, I watched X-Men: Days of Future Past.  Pretty good, but I didn't enjoy it as much as X-Men: First Class.  It seemed to take an awfully long time dragging out a fairly thin plot.

Continuing my month of free Sky Movies : Elysium. Yet another film that wouldn't really be my choice but quite gripping.
    Still on the free films :

Captain America, the Winter Soldier ( that right? ) - don't know why I'm watching the super hero movies and this one was terrible. I think what I find odd is that it is basically a children's film but immensely long. So, it's for 12 year old boys with long attention spans. 

Captain Phillips - as you pretty much know the ending the jolting from false jeopardy false jeopardy gets on your tits after a bit. However, that aside, the unwinding of the the plot in the first half is truly gripping and it's refreshing to see something which doesn't seem to have been made for a target audience of teenagers in the Mid West. I might try and find a making of doc as the logistics of how you make something like that seems interesting.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28749
    It's in-flight movie time again...

Ex Machina
    Very good scifi android lady/creepy creator type thing. 

Predestination
    Timey-wimey-twisty-turny sci-fi thing. It looked a bit meh from the description but I was on a plane so what the hell. Turns out it's excellent and. Like Looper only quite a lot more complicated and frankly, more accomplished. Extremely smart movie and highly recommended. 

DON'T READ SPOILERS IF YOU WANT TO SEE IT AND HAVEN'T YET!! I cannot stress this enough!!!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2492
    stickyfiddle;634717" said:

Ex MachinaVery good scifi android lady/creepy creator type thing. 

PredestinationTimey-wimey-twisty-turny sci-fi thing. It looked a bit meh from the description but I was on a plane so what the hell. Turns out it's excellent and. Like Looper only quite a lot more complicated and frankly, more accomplished. Extremely smart movie and highly recommended. 

DON'T READ SPOILERS IF YOU WANT TO SEE IT AND HAVEN'T YET!! I cannot stress this enough!!!
    Sold. I've been waiting on these 2 and I think I'll get at least one in tonight. I think Predestination put me off as it seemed a bit similar to Looper and I'm not a huge fan of Ethan Hawke
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28749

PredestinationTimey-wimey-twisty-turny sci-fi thing. It looked a bit meh from the description but I was on a plane so what the hell. Turns out it's excellent and. Like Looper only quite a lot more complicated and frankly, more accomplished. Extremely smart movie and highly recommended. 

Sold. I've been waiting on these 2 and I think I'll get at least one in tonight. I think Predestination put me off as it seemed a bit similar to Looper and I'm not a huge fan of Ethan Hawke
    I liked Looper but it's much more intelligently done and less Hollywood. It's very twisty in a well-constructed way. I didn't see most coming, but wasn't confused by it either - win!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1424
    mini

This, Predestination, film kind of only has one twist and when you figure it out kind of determines your enjoyment, I think. The whole thing unravels, but I do like that it is a somewhat different and more logical approach to one person's perspective on their own time travel.

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    edited May 2015
    Angels & Demons - Cack. Raid 2 - basically a load of people punching each other in that spectacular far eastern choreographed style. Quite unpleasant in places and I didn't have the first clue who was who or what was going on but worth it for the action.