What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10444
    Dead Snow 2 Red v Dead.

Nazi zombies,loads of comedy gore,all done in the worst possible taste.Quite reminiscent of early Peter Jackson splaterfests.What's not to like.
    The end scene is stomach churningly wrong.Which makes it good.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Cold In July.

It's very VERY good. On Sky, go fetch.

Ah!!!!!!! Fletch is onthe telly now, get in! :)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12065
    The Age of Adaline.

"Time travel" movies is not new, movie like The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and The Time Traveller's Wife touched on the subject matter a little and in some ways, the Twilight movies has the same kind of idea.  But when I first saw the trailer for this movie, the premise of it intrigued me a little and I watched it tonight.

In the centre of the movie is Adaline, through a freak accident she stops ageing and the movie centres around her and how she deal with life without ageing.  Instead of focusing on the plus side of staying at 29 forever, it is interesting to see how one would deal with keeping under the radar and the down side of out living everyone you know and every one you love/ed.

Blake Lively glows in this movie, I only have ever seen her in Gossip Girls and I have not seen that for a few years.  She is classically beautiful in this, and I found myself charmed by her quiet acting and portrayal of a woman with the age of 107.  Her natural appearance of distance is perfectly suited to this role.

For all the foolishness of the idea and some plot twist even, this is a very enjoyable movie.   I also have a soft spot with movie that can convey a sense of poignancy, something I find it is something a lot of movie tries but few succeeds.  Harrison Ford is excellent in a supporting role and I got to say, this movie is much better than i expected.  However, it is not without flaws, the voice over explanation section for one, but I was thoroughly charmed by this movie and Blake Lively.

8/10  

Yeah I know...I really enjoyed it!
  • Another vote for MAD MAX FURY ROAD but on a complete other level did a deal with my wife to go and see this for me and FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD for her which to my surprise I thoroughly enjoyed. It's got Michael sheen in it who is brilliant whether he is playing a lycan in underworld, Brian clough, David frost or a repressed bloke in FFTMT
    Deliver Us From Evil. Fckn oooosh.

Of ye like yer horror/exorcism stuff, this is one for you. Eric Bana is really rather good too.

Top film.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12536
    Grand Budapest Hotel. Very surreal. After 5 minutes I'd decided it was going to be unwatchable. 10 minutes later I was hooked. Lots of very good acting but Ralph Fiennes is brilliant.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24904
    boogieman said:
    Grand Budapest Hotel. Very surreal. After 5 minutes I'd decided it was going to be unwatchable. 10 minutes later I was hooked. Lots of very good acting but Ralph Fiennes is brilliant.
    I loved that. Beautifully acted and witty.

My favourite film of the last couple of years I think.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    The new Mad Max. It was the worst episode of Australia's Next Top Model I've ever seen.
    boogieman;644013" said:
    Twas very good.

Into The Woods, fairytale thing, jolly good watch. Streep is still hot. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2043
    edited May 2015
    I'd echo the praise for the new Mad Max

Totally over-the-top, bat-shit crazy, awesome action flick. Little story, no background, little characterisation but Jesus H Christ I enjoyed the fuck clean out of it. 

9/10

Edit:  For balance, I also agree with the love for Grand Budapest Hotel. Absolutely superb - typical Wes Anderson movie. Just great. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Flight

7/10

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Frank. 7/10. Good but not as good as I was hoping for.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2960
    Just back from seeing Mad Max  (mostly fairly pissed off Charlize).  One long action packed car chase.

If you like 2 hours of non stop in your face action with minimal story, then look no further.

7/10

• littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5073
    edited May 2015
    Ex Machina. Liked it, nice twist.

Nice soundtrack too.

8/10
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    Nacho Vidal Fucks Em All 2, scene 5. Bloke's on his game, and Layla Rivera is shit hot hot. Hot. Ouch hot.

Oh, not them sort of films....
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4780
    edited May 2015
    Mad Max: Fury Road is amazing.  I do not think I have seen anything as close to bordering insanity in my life.

I need to see it again, I'm not sure what I have witnessed.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4779
    Interstellar. I'll never trust Rotten Tomatoes (72%) or IMDb (8.7/10) again. Absolute shite, I'll consult this thread in future.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12536
    menamestom;646119" said:
    Interstellar. I'll never trust Rotten Tomatoes (72%) or IMDb (8.7/10) again. Absolute shite, I'll consult this thread in future.
    A lot of people on here liked it and gave it a decent review, including me, so you would have got the same answer as Rotten Tomatoes. ;)
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16088

Pierrepoint

tae be or not tae be
    hootsmon said:

Pierrepoint

Book's a good read an' all.