What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6253
    Ex-Machina. Very enjoyable and thought provoking film. Well worth a look.
    Agreed @freakboy1610, I really enjoyed it. A very smart, intelligent film.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2958
    Went to see "Man Up" with Mrs T this afternoon.  Its a Rom-Com but was still quite nice  

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27851
    jd0272 said:
    Boobs edited out???

Well, that's spoiled it all for me. :(
    Yeah, the "Dubai edit", as its affectionately known. I'm informed by reliable sources there are no such edits in the UK!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2181
    I've seen a few recently. Got around to watching Whiplash, i thought that was pretty good. And today I watched Jurassic World and Mad Max Fury Road.

JW was better than i was expecting, still doesn't hold a candle to the original but I enjoyed it enough. Had a really weird viewing experience. I went to a midday showing and a man was snoring!! Another woman spent most of the film chatting to her bloody mother. She then had the gaul to go out and complain about the excited man with disabilities in the front row. He was then removed from the screening with his carer.

I then went into Mad Max, and I had the whole screening room to myself! :D Odd day.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • I also saw JW today. I really rather enjoyed it, it wasn't a great movie, but was quite evocative for me of my first BIG cinema event movie. (I went with about 20 of my science geek friends, we laughed pretty much throughout). LOADS of product placement in it, which was slightly distracting. I now want a Triumph motorcycle.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5608
    Kingsman
    Great cast, some great camera techniques, thoroughly enjoyable, but Mark Strong's Scottish accent was a bit shit! It flipped between romp and hard edged action flick but was no worse for either. 9/10

Ex Machina
    Thought provoking, grown up sci-fi which had me guessing the ending throughout and thinking about the world we live in. I had avoided the trailers/press for this one and had expected an I, Robot type film. Yes the effects were fabulous but it's the film's simplicity and small cast which made it stand out for me. Brilliant. 9/10

Interstellar
    Another thought provoking piece of adult sci-fi. Nolan is a tremendous film maker but it was a bit long and showed its influences too loudly in places. Still bloody good though! 8/10

It's been a good week for fillums chez Disco!  
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Somebody mentioned Predestination so I decided to give it a go as I enjoyed Looper (they're both time travel based)
    To be honest I thought about turning it off after 30 mins as not much happened but then it starts to gather a bit of pace. Time travel movies are easy to pick holes in but seem to melt my brain at the same time.
    I'll still be going over this in my head tomorrow, really enjoyed it.
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2958
    So after the rom com at the cinema, got home and watched "Blue is the warmest colour".  That was ok as well.

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Somebody mentioned Predestination so I decided to give it a go as I enjoyed Looper (they're both time travel based)
    To be honest I thought about turning it off after 30 mins as not much happened but then it starts to gather a bit of pace. Time travel movies are easy to pick holes in but seem to melt my brain at the same time.

Try Primer for brain melting time travel. Then please come back and explain it to me!
    ennspek said:

Try Primer for brain melting time travel. Then please come back and explain it to me!
    Saw that years ago, dont think youre alone in needing an explanation.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16431
    Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit.

It's alright. Not too long. Bugger all to do with the Jack Ryan character in the books but bumps along. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    edited June 2015
    Jurassic World.

Brilliant 'switch off brain' viewing. And yes, overload of product placement.

But, that moment.

"Open Enclosure 9"

"Whaaaa????"

"JUST OPEN IT!!!!!!!"

It was like seeing an old friend. Utterly brilliant! :)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Jurassic World.

Great film that's easy to watch.

Some cool subtle references to the first film.

This guy made an appearance!

edited June 2015
    Kajaki
    The true events of a British patrol based at the Kajaki dam in Kandahar, Afghanistan.
    Very stark portrayal of events, I really don't think this strayed too far from the actual situation in terms of dramatic license as a lot of the film is shot in a riverbed in a valley. Graphic in places and for most of the 2nd part so not one for the kiddies or faint hearted. Captures the suspense and the oddly dark gallows humour really well without overstating it. Recommended

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Ben Dover's Horny Housewives 2. 

The first 15 minutes was ok but I lost interest after that.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Layer Cake - 8/10. Really enjoyed it, excellent cast and script. Interesting to watch it years on. With hindsight it's one big Bond audition.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12530
    Hobo with a shotgun. That's 90 minutes of my life I want back. I take it that it looked intentionally shit rather than accidentally shit?
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6308
    Alien - watched it again because the Other Half had never seen it. And - at least on Bluray at home - it doesn't stand the test of time very well. It was far better in my memory. I must have been easier to please back in the '80s.

How did I ever forgive the plot-hole where the tiny gut-busting lizard turns into a 2m-tall monster within an hour or so?

5/10 now (I suppose I would have given it 9/10 before)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9845
    edited June 2015
    Gravity in 3D round my brother in law's. Transfered to the small(ish) screen far better than i'd have expected. Superb effects, and probably the only film I've seen where 3D adds anything to it. Plot's a bit weak in that once you know the debris is going to hit every 90 minutes the whole thing becomes a bit formulaic. Still enjoyable though.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12461
    Watched half an hour of Get Hard, Will Ferrell and Kevin Hart in laughter free comedy zone, dire.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"