The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1093
    Was the 5-0 thing last season? I can't remember but there's been thumpings for Utd lol. Even a draw I'll take as we got a good goal difference.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4601
    Tis going to be tight all the way to the end... Ooo err!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9853
    So the annual West Brom bottle job seems to have begun - two 2-2 draws in a week against lower half teams, we've got already-relegated Rotherham who are 19 points behind the team one place above them, so I imagine they'll play a blinder and beat us as well haha

We've got 6 points on 7th place and 5 games to play (although Coventry in 7th have 6 games remaining...). Hmmm
    Out of our hands as well now
    I wouldn't like to call it for the top three to be honest

Our position is very much in our own hands to be fair and if it was any other half decent football club I'd expect a team in our position to make the play offs. But knowing West Brom as I do, they are always a disappointment in the end so I highly suspect it's happening again
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2791
    As a West Ham supporter, I cannot seriously understand Gary O’Neil getting so upset about their late offside decision on their goal.   He’s standing in such an offside position right in front of the goalie, there’s no way that refs should be making decisions as to how much a goalie can see or not see in an offside decision ? About time West Ham got a VAR decision for a change :);
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1393
    That Copa Del Rey final was exciting last night.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1093
    Nice one Utd haha. But not much has changed, think its a point that separates us, Liverpool and City so all to play for still.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27657
    Nice one Utd haha. But not much has changed, think its a point that separates us, Liverpool and City so all to play for still.
    Well, with the way that Liverpool are dropping points, looks like it's now a straight 3-way race between Arsenal, Man City and Spurs ...

:D
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    Budgies got a win with the Refs help  :#
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3044
    RIP Joe Kinnear. Did a good job from memory. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68757582
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4674
    and the FA have spun the wheel of (mis)Fortune again and its 

2 point deduction for Everton 

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6908

WTF - they need to get 112 breaches so its too many for the FA to bother to deal with.........
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14332
    tFB Trader

Hard to fathom any logic to the punishment - 10 points, then reduced to 6 -  4 points to Forest then  2 points to Everton - All guilty of overspend, but no logic to the points penalised

By the sounds of things the FFP, now PSR, will be changing for next season - Expect it to be finalised in June this year with no points deduction coming in to play  - To be replaced by the 'Luxury Tax' as used in a few of the USA Leagues - It is to be finalised as to the 'hard' wage capped system as used in the NFL, but no overstepping the line - Or a 'soft' wage capped system whereby it is a hefty 'tax/fine' for over spending on an agreed wage packet - With the 'tax/fine' going to other PL clubs that don't over spend, plus expected contributions to the EFL  - USA Fines are hefty - It is a bit complex as to a) repeat offence and b) by how much you overspend, but a 10 million overspend could well be a 10 million pound fine, maybe more based on similar USA rules

It is expected most/all current PL teams will be voting for the new policy as it gets rid of points deductions and you can spend more if you wish/can afford 

Hope it offers more clarity than the current system, as above whereby no one knows how many points you'll be deducted - Plus of course, if all/most clubs are close breaking PSR rules, then it accidentally 'freezes' the transfer market as all teams need to sell before they buy, but who do you sell to when no one has any spare money 
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1659
    so the rich clubs win again...... and this is just "fines" dressed up as tax..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

tFB Trader
    so the rich clubs win again...... and this is just "fines" dressed up as tax..
    It will suit the big spenders for sure - Dressed up as a 'tax' is not fair as it is not a government tax in anyway shape or form - It is just a system in place in various USA leagues and it has been called a 'luxury tax' - I suppose based on who has the luxury to over abuse it - But it will be based on a wage system - The PL will probably create the appropriate 'ceiling' and you stay within that, or overspend according 

Yes the rich ' sovereign states' will be able to 'buy' the appropriate players and overspend accordingly - But fines in the USA system are over a $1 for every $1 over spend - So over spend by 50 million $'s  and the fine is in excess of $50 million $'s 

The obvious influence in such a system is that the USA own many of our teams now in the PL and their owners are use to such a format within various franchises they own in different leagues
    Hard to fathom any logic to the punishment - 10 points, then reduced to 6 -  4 points to Forest then  2 points to Everton - All guilty of overspend, but no logic to the points penalised

And it's barely a smack on the wrist, and certainly not penalty in any meaningful terms. 

Everton have dropped 2 places as a result of the 8 point (in total) deduction.  If they can't get at least as many points as both Luton and Forest between now and end of the season (to avoid relegation), then poor performance will justify their relegation, and the points deduction will just have been a side show.

Poor refereeing and ridiculous VAR interventions will have cost many teams more points than these "penalties".
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:

And it's barely a smack on the wrist, and certainly not penalty in any meaningful terms. 

Everton have dropped 2 places as a result of the 8 point (in total) deduction.  If they can't get at least as many points as both Luton and Forest between now and end of the season (to avoid relegation), then poor performance will justify their relegation, and the points deduction will just have been a side show.

Poor refereeing and ridiculous VAR interventions will have cost many teams more points than these "penalties".
    Agree on the former and never thought about the latter but a valid point - LFC could loose the title due to that big error at Spurs  - Some might well say 'so what' or 'serves you right' based on their 'hatred' and/or tribal views' 

But you are right - Abuse the system for a few years now and receive a 'petty' fine - In which case crime pays 

Back to my old mate F Lampard - Did not realise until I read an article the other day, about S Dyche , but Frank was one of the biggest 'over spenders'  on transfers at Everton, along with Ancelotti - So Frank's policy of spend spend spend, loose loose loose, and come away with a 7.1 million compensation for doing such a fine days work - Fascinating 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4601
    That didn't age well at all.. fark it
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4991
    Points gained from games should be retained by clubs, penalties for financial irregularities should be financial.  It is relatively easy to focus on Everton, Forest, Luton etc., so why do clubs like Man City, Chelsea etc. get away with PL breaches, the same breaches that Everton, Forest, Luton etc. are penalised for.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23036
    Financial penalties are meaningless when you've got almost infinite amounts of money.  It's like hitting Adele with a parking ticket.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    It's like hitting Adele with a parking ticket.
    And that would be another album's worth of "inspiration"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom