The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4917
    Yes, very hard luck to go out like that.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    Yes, quite... *starts tugging*
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22866
    Bloody Dan James.  I never liked him.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9628
    Schnozz said:
    Wales do not qualify.
    I’m just back from there. Cruellest way possible to lose.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14264
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    A common theme of a Leeds lad missing a vital penalty - David Batty springs to mind
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3027
    edited March 27
    A horrible way to go out, but Wales played well. 
    After the dissapointing World Cup, it would take time to form a new post Bale-Allen-Ramsey team. Getting thumped by Armenia at home was not a good start. 

Yet since then, Page has made this group of players into a young, exciting and energetic team, recent results and performances have been much better. Page came under much scrutiny after the World Cup, but he’s done enough I believe to show he can lead this team forward with optimism. 

PS: love the Belgium Tintin kit 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22866
    Philly_Q said:
    A common theme of a Leeds lad missing a vital penalty - David Batty springs to mind
    I wrote that in the heat of the moment, nothing against him personally, I'm sure he's a nice lad.  I do still harbour some slight resentment of the fact that he left Swansea for an ultimately unsuccessful spell at Man U (having almost left to go to Leeds six months earlier - I know Swansea didn't handle that at all well...).
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I wrote that in the heat of the moment, nothing against him personally, I'm sure he's a nice lad.  I do still harbour some slight resentment of the fact that he left Swansea for an ultimately unsuccessful spell at Man U (having almost left to go to Leeds six months earlier - I know Swansea didn't handle that at all well...).
    I recall the 11th hour change of mind and it didn't go down well at the time - He didn't have a good spell in the PL with Leeds or Fulham, but has done well in the EFL for Leeds, so maybe that is his comfortable level - Done well for us this year both as a starter and impact sub - Hope he is fine for the next 5 games in 15 days
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4983
    I watched the Wales game on TV last evening.  Poland always looked the more likely to score, the referee made what I considered several 'strange' decisions - almost all of those went against Wales.

Extra time should be abolished.  Penalties after ninety minutes in those games that have to be decided on the night.  And the penalties should be on the ABBA principle.  This would be fairer as both teams are responsible for needing a penalty shootout and the team that always takes the second penalty should not be put in that position for every penalty.  Hard not to feel for the young lad that failed to score the tenth and what turned out to be the final penalty on the night.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

tFB Trader
    Rocker said:
    I watched the Wales game on TV last evening.  Poland always looked the more likely to score, the referee made what I considered several 'strange' decisions - almost all of those went against Wales.

Extra time should be abolished.  Penalties after ninety minutes in those games that have to be decided on the night.  And the penalties should be on the ABBA principle.  This would be fairer as both teams are responsible for needing a penalty shootout and the team that always takes the second penalty should not be put in that position for every penalty.  Hard not to feel for the young lad that failed to score the tenth and what turned out to be the final penalty on the night.
    Agree with you about the ABBA format - It was trailed a while ago but dropped 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11299
    Keep extra time, but only go to penalties if it's not 0-0.

If it is 0-0 after ET then the two losing semi-finalists take the penalties and one of them goes through. The finalists had two hours to get the ball in the net, they didn't, thank you and good night. They've blown their chance. 
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1214
    Great game at st james. Referee was a shocker for both sides. Thought we (nufc) deserved it. Further injuries may be a blessing in disguise. Hall and barnes absolutely superb after they came on. West ham are a great counter attacking team.. Not seen Kudus before in a full game... what a menace for any defence, player of the match for me. 
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10220
    Never a penalty. How does Phillips know he's there, what advantage was there to gain? Robbed by VAR again. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    Phew, 3points v Everton but what an awful game that was... almost feel sorry for Coleman and his own goal...
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27516
    There were a few interesting games this afternoon.  Interesting for the neutral, but possibly a little frustrating for fans of some of those involved (WHU, Sheff Utd and Chelsea particularly).
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    tFB Trader
    Never a penalty. How does Phillips know he's there, what advantage was there to gain? Robbed by VAR again. 
    I’ve always had an issue with such similar fouls when the other player comes from behind the defender 
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    I bloody hate barcodes .
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I bloody hate barcodes .
    Notts County?
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    I bloody hate barcodes .
    Notts County?
    Newcastle United . :#
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    swiller said:
    Great game at st james. Referee was a shocker for both sides. Thought we (nufc) deserved it. Further injuries may be a blessing in disguise. Hall and barnes absolutely superb after they came on. West ham are a great counter attacking team.. Not seen Kudus before in a full game... what a menace for any defence, player of the match for me. 
    Ah yes, Rob Jones. The cunt that gave Willy Boly a red card for a perfectly good tackle. 

You have my sympathies.