The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27697
    Sorry, I've been watching Leverkusen win the Bundesliga ... what did I miss???
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7238
    As a Palace fan I’ve got mixed feelings - obviously over the moon besting liverppol and almost securing our safety but we may have helped city win the title again 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    Liverpool, Rangers and Arsenal all blew up when the pressure was applied. Easy run in now for Man City and Celtic. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12961
    As a Palace fan I’ve got mixed feelings - obviously over the moon besting liverppol and almost securing our safety but we may have helped city win the title again 
    Behave. Who gives a toss which of the billionaires playthings win? 
    edited April 14
    Behave yourself - City have won it 4 or 5 times in the last 6 years (or something like that). Combine that with their questionable funding model and their petulant (albeit brilliant) manager and I’d rather anyone but City tbh. Nothing against the fans , especially the ones who had to sit there and watch their local rivals win everything in the 90s-2000s.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11354
    Villa winning at the Haemorrhoids is like the metaphorical mother-in-law driving your car over the cliff edge.

City winning the Prem, disagreeable as it may be, is still preferable to the Arse or Klopp's mob winning it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12961
    Behave yourself - City have won it 4 or 5 times in the last 6 years (or something like that). Combine that with their questionable funding model and their petulant (albeit brilliant) manager and I’d rather anyone but City tbh. Nothing against the fans , especially the ones who had to sit there and watch their local rivals win everything in the 90s-2000s.
    Being "conflicted" that your own (struggling) team won against one of the top teams because it slightly benefits one billionaires plaything over another is a sad indictment of the state of modern football tbh. 
    Being "conflicted" that your own (struggling) team won against one of the top teams because it slightly benefits one billionaires plaything over another is a sad indictment of the state of modern football tbh. 
    I’d say a sad indictment of modern football is allowing an oil rich nation of highly questionable morals to buy a premier league club, set up a way of funding it to get around FFP and then winning the league almost exclusively.

I don’t think my petty conflict even compares tbh
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4727
    Well done to Wrexham ! 

And Stockport, who should end ip champions, from administration and regional football to League 1 in only a few years.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14421
    tFB Trader
    Looks like no one wants to get promoted either from the EFL to the PL - Top 3 all loosing points at the moment - Crazy, but still possible that Soton can join the fight and make it a 4 way battle again

No way will anyone fancy a play off - Pure lottery 

Such an exciting division - And whilst it is not exciting for those at the bottom, it is hell of a fight, with so many clubs involved and so many of the clubs, are 'bigger'; than their position currently dictates 
    edited April 15 tFB Trader
    I feel sick. What the hell happened.
    I bet even Spurs fans wanted you to win yesterday, to keep that 4th position for themselves
    tFB Trader
    Anyone wanna bet against City now?
    I wouldn't - But subject to how their match goes against R Madrid, then Chelsea, they still have Brighton and Spurs to travel to - Both potential stumbling blocks 
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1095
    Just typical it was the former manager that masterminded the downfall. Now there's flashbacks of last season, are the players running out of steam? I feared this would happen at some point where we'd slowly fade away, to be up there still challenging in April is no fluke but its that extra yard City have as they've been there.

Not sure how the players will bounce back, got a biggie vs Bayern on Weds then back to it next Sat. Will the boss ring the changes as pretty much everyone is back fit (maybe not Timber).
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2568
    edited April 15
    Big Palace fan here along with my son. No mixed feelings for us. Fucking up Liverpool’s title chance twice in 10 years? Priceless. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3094
    Yes, more titles for City please. It'll be the only way anything changes.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9889
    edited April 15
    Looks like no one wants to get promoted either from the EFL to the PL - Top 3 all loosing points at the moment - Crazy, but still possible that Soton can join the fight and make it a 4 way battle again

Such an exciting division - And whilst it is not exciting for those at the bottom, it is hell of a fight, with so many clubs involved and so many of the clubs, are 'bigger'; than their position currently dictates 
    I think the lack of form is catching down to 5th place as well, losing to an absolutely woeful Sunderland side. Panic has well and truly set in amongst the Albion fans on Facebook after recent results (draws against Milwall, Watford and Stoke, losing to Sunderland) because Hull in 7th are 7 points behind with a game in hand so they have 4 games remaining, we still have to play Leicester who we should lose to, then a resurgent Sheff Wed and finally against Preston who are themselves only 9 points behind us with 4 games to play so we could well still finish outside the top six.

It doesn't really matter where we finish in playoff positions if we do make it, everybody can beat each other on the day in any case. That said, I think whoever finishes 3rd plus Southampton must surely still be favourites if with a downturn in form because us and Norwich are way behind in quality. Plus we still don't actually have a proper striker so unlikely to score enough to beat any good sides - we can only beat league 1 level teams lately!

I don't know what I'd prefer - to go up and be the team of whipping boys every week and Corberan getting the sack in November, or stay in the Championship and have to build a new team from scratch from everybody else's rejects again with our very dull style of non-football. 

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27697
    Yes, more titles for City please. It'll be the only way anything changes.
    It's easy to knock City, but - as Chelsea and ManU have shown - winning the PL isn't just about how much money you can spend.

Looks like no one wants to get promoted either from the EFL to the PL 
    Recent performance don't bode well for their results when they get promoted.  If they can't beat some fairly ordinary Championship sides, then it could well be a bit Sheffield Utd all over again for them in the PL next season.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3094

I think the lack of form is catching down to 5th place as well, losing to an absolutely woeful Sunderland side. Panic has well and truly set in amongst the Albion fans on Facebook after recent results (draws against Milwall, Watford and Stoke, losing to Sunderland) because Hull in 7th are 7 points behind with a game in hand so they have 4 games remaining, we still have to play Leicester who we should lose to, then a resurgent Sheff Wed and finally against Preston who are themselves only 9 points behind us with 4 games to play so we could well still finish outside the top six.

It doesn't really matter where we finish in playoff positions if we do make it, everybody can beat each other on the day in any case. That said, I think whoever finishes 3rd plus Southampton must surely still be favourites if with a downturn in form because us and Norwich are way behind in quality. Plus we still don't actually have a proper striker so unlikely to score enough to beat any good sides - we can only beat league 1 level teams lately!

I don't know what I'd prefer - to go up and be the team of whipping boys every week and Corberan getting the sack in November, or stay in the Championship and have to build a new team from scratch from everybody else's rejects again with our very dull style of non-football. 

Reasons to be cheerful, 1,2,3! If we do somehow fluke promotion Mr Patel can get his chequebook out as FFP would be much less of a concern. I'm ok with Carlos's style as we'd not lost in ten before Saturday. It's not all doom and gloom.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9889
    TTony said:
    Recent performance don't bode well for their results when they get promoted.  If they can't beat some fairly ordinary Championship sides, then it could well be a bit Sheffield Utd all over again for them in the PL next season.

But on the other hand, Whichever of the premier relegated teams from last year go up, they'll be in a good position to buy proper players as they'll still have decent funds having presumably taken it a bit more cautiously this season. The Championship I think is a hard league to get out of not because of the quality there (it's definitely not that, jesus, seen some awful matches this  season) but instead it's because of the unpredictability and fighting spirit of teams to get back into games or to kill the prospect of any football being played in the first place. It's a different game in the premier league - being a small fish there you need to be the team who shuts down the opposition from playing rather than the team who has to work out how to break down a 9-1-0 formation.

Hence Luton doing better in the prem than Burnley, for example.

When we had anti-football Valerian Ishmael as manager, we were atrocious in the Championship as it was like watching an 8 year old playing pinball. But I actually think if we'd somehow gone up with him as manager, we'd have done much better playing that style to make it a level playing field because how do you play against a team who literally look like they've never kicked a ball before but are very physical and fit?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    edited April 15 tFB Trader
    TTony said:

As an overview  I think we have a better team now than the team that got relegated - We brought in to many can't be arsed players, who were brought in to do a job, didn't do it, then wanted out - it is the wanted out that pee's you off - Wear the shirt with pride  - I'd rather have a team full of Stuart Dallas's than some of those with a 'hit or miss can't be arsed  attitude - Pity he has retired

2/3 key signings will certainly make it a more attractive team - But a massive gulf now between the EFL and PL - But as we know , a big gulf in the PL between the top 6-8 elite clubs and the rest - For the likes of Brighton, and Fulham + Bournemouth this year and the year before, to compete as they are, is a big credit to them - And for now, they are the bench mark for promoted teams