The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4635
    munckee said:
    sev112 said:
    Who was it said Gordon was good?!  I mean relatively against all the rest of dross from England today perhaps, but he doesn’t know how to cross the ball. It was Iceland chaps!?
    To be fair if he could cross or shoot he’d be very dangerous. 
    Splendid 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3429
    edited June 8
    Losing to Iceland is no doubt part of Gareth's masterclass for winning the Euros. No idea how that works, but I'm sure he's got this and we have nothing to worry about.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31936
    rze99 said:
    rze99 said:

Come on Iceland!!

England need a smugness kick in the head and tonight is  the night
    Told you
    The commentators do at least, 20 minutes after Iceland took the lead they were still saying that "Iceland will be happy to take a point from tonight".

Unbelievable. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12578
    p90fool said:
    rze99 said:
    rze99 said:

Come on Iceland!!

Told you
    The commentators do at least, 20 minutes after Iceland took the lead they were still saying that "Iceland will be happy to take a point from tonight".

Unbelievable. 
    Yeah cos it was a friendly so no points to play for. 
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1068
    Southgate for Man U! Please!!!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    munckee said:
    p90fool said:
    rze99 said:
    rze99 said:

Come on Iceland!!

Told you

Unbelievable. 
    Yeah cos it was a friendly so no points to play for. 
    Yep, that was "one point" which was not lost on me. :)

It still struck me as incredibly arrogant though to imply that the team which was currently in the lead would happily settle for a draw against their drab opposition, especially as Iceland were about 4-1 up on shots on goal at the time. 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10387
    edited June 8
    rze99 said:
    rze99 said:

Come on Iceland!!

Told you
    The England players know they're on the plane and they didn't want to get injured so I don't think they played to win at all costs. Even if we'd have lost 3-0 it wouldn't be an accurate assessment of the team because the players obviously weren't trying that hard. I don't think they'd be bothered by this. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23622
    rze99 said:
    rze99 said:

Come on Iceland!!

Told you
    The England players know they're on the plane and they didn't want to get injured so I don't think they played to win at all costs. Even if we'd have lost 3-0 it wouldn't be an accurate assessment of the team because the players obviously weren't trying that hard. I don't think they'd be bothered by this. 
    Didn't England have a terrible run of international results after qualifying for the 2022 World Cup?  Nations League or something, I think they lost twice to Hungary?  It wasn't immediately before the big tournament, but they went into the WC without a win in six games. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14768
    tFB Trader
    rze99 said:
    rze99 said:

Come on Iceland!!

Told you
    I tend to agree with you and hope that is the case - I didn't see the game as can't be arsed to watch a half hearted warm up game and had other issues to attend to - I think we have some exciting world class players who could walk into many teams, but Southgate always worries me as he tends to be safe, rather than exciting - Plus he knows he does not have a settled back 4 and a potential weak pair of CB's so that midfield will be more defensive, rather than pro-active - But the key issue last night was not to get injured
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2388
    rze99 said:
    rze99 said:

Come on Iceland!!

Told you
    Tell yourself. The same is true for other nations, winning their friendly
    Stolen from Threads;

"If England can't beat Iceland, they don't stand a chance against bigger teams like Tesco or Sainsbury's"
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2859
    Yeah I get all that but i would have liked him to have given Madison, Grealish and Brantheaite a go and said to them they are at risk of going home. 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10007
    sev112 said:
    Yeah I get all that but i would have liked him to have given Madison, Grealish and Brantheaite a go and said to them they are at risk of going home. 
    Maybe he has said that to them in previous matches or training and not liked what he's seen in reply?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27971
    Rumours said:

Tottenham Agree ‘Amicable Termination’ With 27-year-old Spurs Star, Spell Ending

Best news ever ...

(Well, since we signed the useless lazy git anyways)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Best wishes to Alan Hansen and all his friends and family - One of the good guys IMO
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1735
    sev112 said:
    Maybe he has said that to them in previous matches or training and not liked what he's seen in reply?

that's a possibility but his decision to confirm the squad ahead of the Iceland game certainly render the game null and void...

His argument that it gives them security and comfort to play without pressure...  well that backfired didn't it!!

tell them nowt.. make them fight for the shirt and for the plane ticket.. play a second 11.. give the paying fans something to watch at the very least!!
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
    Great to see Ellen White scoring for England again last night!  :)

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2952
    swiller said:
    Right to drop grealish and Maguire. Pair of tw@s, mentally not right.

I take issue with that. Maguire was stripped of the Man Utd captaincy, frozen out of the team by his manager, became the laughing stock of the Premier League, his own fans, England fans, even Scotland fans, then became Man Utd's best player before his injury and re-established himself as a first choice centre half.

The man is a mentality monster. He can be criticised for his lack of pace and his loss of form for a year or so, but his mentality you cannot question, much less call him a twat for!

And he was only left out because he was injured!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    So Ten H stays at Man U - Good move or surprised, maybe by both the manager and the board - Is he now under more pressure/scrutiny next season or have the whole 'team' created a blue print to work to for all parties
    tFB Trader
    So a day to go before the Euros starts - Germany v Scotland - Who do you support - Easy answer for the Scots amongst us, but who will the English members support - Years ago I would have always supported Scotland - I remember the World Cup in 1974 when 1/2 the team was Leeds players, so an easy extension for me to support them 

But equally I recall 1998 and Eng v Arg - The Beckham sending off match - I was in Edinburgh and saw the match in a bar there - Might as well have been in Buenos Aires - To be fair it was not nasty in the sense that I thought I was going to be attacked , but they sure as hell let you know who they were supporting - So it changed my thought process - A part of me still says support Scotland and you know the fans will have a blast regardless