The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12586
    So a day to go before the Euros starts - Germany v Scotland - Who do you support - Easy answer for the Scots amongst us, but who will the English members support - Years ago I would have always supported Scotland - I remember the World Cup in 1974 when 1/2 the team was Leeds players, so an easy extension for me to support them 

But equally I recall 1998 and Eng v Arg - The Beckham sending off match - I was in Edinburgh and saw the match in a bar there - Might as well have been in Buenos Aires - To be fair it was not nasty in the sense that I thought I was going to be attacked , but they sure as hell let you know who they were supporting - So it changed my thought process - A part of me still says support Scotland and you know the fans will have a blast regardless 
    I enjoy matches that don't involve England in tournaments more as I get immensely stressed watching us play.  Watching Scotland is mixed emotions for me as I always say I want them to get beat but I always end up rooting for them, I want them to qualify from the group but not get further than us.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4640
    I'll be supporting Scotland, if only for the mighty Andy Robertson
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052
    In any game that isn't England I think I will just support the players who I have in my Fantasy Football team lol

So for the Germany Scotland match I would want the players in my fantasy team to do well.  That makes it easy for me.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10015
    I just hope to see a good competitive match whoever is playing, and may the best team win
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • LessPaulLessPaul Frets: 103
    The Germans
  • maroonedmarooned Frets: 56
    The real reason most Scots don’t want England to win is all the media hype….I work in a bookies and the English commentators over the tannoy already have them in the semi final playing France.
    The media hype England as tournament winners every tournament, then destroy the team when it inevitably goes tits up.

Trust me I know England won the World Cup in 66 but please stop banging on about it, the majority of fans weren’t even born when that happened ffs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1130
    I'll follow the England games as I always do but will they win it? This year seems like their best chance at doing so but it might be the same old scenario with them falling short at major tournaments, they were 1 kick away from it at the last one so nearly.

I think France will win it as they have the best squad and experience. Though you can't write off Portugal or Germany.

Also what do people make of this thing where players that aren't from their nation they play for from birth representing their country? I.e you get Brazilian's representing Spain, or Italy (Jorginho for example). Or the players that have like a grandparent from another country? Seems a bit weird to me if you aren't from that country why should you represent them internationally.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3188

Germany 3 Scotland 1

Scotland get hammered first half, but fight back in the second

I would like Scotland to win, if only to make it more difficult the home nation to progress. 
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16075
    edited June 13
    We're gonna get BLOOTERED....3 times!

We can rise tae the occasion when it comes tae rugby but I am afraid I have no hope for Scotland at football and it's been that way all my life,sadly

Here's how it works over the years...Scotland get fucked by everyone in their table and are required tae beat someone like Brazil 6-0 tae qualify for the next round

They put on a show of their lives and get their 6 goals but Brazil get a penalty in the 7th minute of stoppage time...and score!

I will just listen tae reruns of the Archers thanks very much....I have seen the fitba script
    tae be or not tae be
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13049
    Its weird* how when Scotland fans talk about not supporting England, lots of English people get all upset because "we always support Scotland and always want them to do well" and yet when it comes to Scotland playing Germany it seems that many of you don't seem to feel that way. Hmm... 

*i mean it's not weird at all, I just like pointing and laughing at the muppets who don't understand a bit of gentle sporting rivalry. 

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13049
    Anyway, as a Scotland fan it feels odd to be going into a major tournament and actually feeling a bit optimistic. We were absolute monsters in qualifying - deservedly beat Spain and were a dodgy VAR decision away from taking something from them in the second game too. If the stars align for this squad and they play to their potential then we can absolutely take something from a misfiring Germany team and get out of the group. A shit Wales have previously shitfested their way to the semis and Greece even won the damn thing so why whilst I have zero expectation about getting anywhere near that far it's not impossible either. 

Bit nervous about the injury situation mind you. We can precious little afford to lose anyone. 
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16075
    pppfffft

;)
    tae be or not tae be
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10389
    @guitars4you I think keeping Ten Haag was the right move. He had significant injuries and there's some toxic aspects to that squad. He has to take the flack for the Antony signing but I think that the FA Cup final shows he can make it happen when he has his full team.

In regards to the Euros I'm in Amsterdam with my brother and my mates this weekend so will watch the England game there, but I support Germany second so I'll be rooting for them to beat Scotland, sorry! 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10015
    edited June 13
    Also what do people make of this thing where players that aren't from their nation they play for from birth representing their country? I.e you get Brazilian's representing Spain, or Italy (Jorginho for example). Or the players that have like a grandparent from another country? Seems a bit weird to me if you aren't from that country why should you represent them internationally.
    I get what you mean but I don't think it's that odd, often there's an ancestry connection there, other times it's loose but they fancy playing international football and wouldn't get in their own national team. I think Ireland have done well over the years in both of those reasons really, didn't Grealish and Rice play for Ireland at youth levels despite both being English? In fact just checked Google and Rice got three full caps for Ireland...

England has had people like Raheem Sterling, Eric Dier, Owen Hargreaves, Zaha and Guehi from Palace, and some illustrious names in the past such as Terry Butcher, Big Cyrille Regis and John Barnes. 

And the magnificent Nathaniel Chalobah in fact. Ahem. 

In other sports as well I guess, Mo Farah being a good example
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23674
    edited June 13
    At least in football you need to have a historical connection with that country via a parent or grandparent, or to be a citizen since childhood even if your parents came from abroad.

In rugby and cricket, if you turn up in the UK from South Africa, Australia, New Zealand or the Pacific islands, a week later you'll be magically qualified to play for England or one of the home nations.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14808
    edited June 14 tFB Trader
    @guitars4you I think keeping Ten Haag was the right move. He had significant injuries and there's some toxic aspects to that squad. He has to take the flack for the Antony signing but I think that the FA Cup final shows he can make it happen when he has his full team.

In regards to the Euros I'm in Amsterdam with my brother and my mates this weekend so will watch the England game there, but I support Germany second so I'll be rooting for them to beat Scotland, sorry! 
    Enjoy the trip in Amsterdam - I imagine most Dutch will be supporting Scotland tonight

I agree that TH at Man U makes sense - I suspect, both parties will have agreed a game plan/criteria/stats - But that in itself will put more pressure on him
  • NightswanNightswan Frets: 1492
    I stuck £50 on Portugal this morning at 13/2 to win the whole thing which will return £375. They have a good squad and could be dark horses. Good luck to Scotland for tonight. A draw would be a great result for them.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1130
    I get what you mean but I don't think it's that odd, often there's an ancestry connection there, other times it's loose but they fancy playing international football and wouldn't get in their own national team. I think Ireland have done well over the years in both of those reasons really, didn't Grealish and Rice play for Ireland at youth levels despite both being English? In fact just checked Google and Rice got three full caps for Ireland...

England has had people like Raheem Sterling, Eric Dier, Owen Hargreaves, Zaha and Guehi from Palace, and some illustrious names in the past such as Terry Butcher, Big Cyrille Regis and John Barnes. 

And the magnificent Nathaniel Chalobah in fact. Ahem. 

In other sports as well I guess, Mo Farah being a good example
    I remember reading once as Mikel Arteta never represented Spain as an international cos he lived in the UK for over 5 years he was eligible to represent England! So would this have meant if Messi didn't play for Argentina the same thing could have happened lol.

Grealish would certainly get more games for Republic of Ireland, so would Rice to be fair. 

Simply having a grandparent from that country doesn't count in my opinion but then I guess if they have more chance to play for that country then fair enough, or financial gain. Diego Costa for Spain for example.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2393

I'm English with a Scottish wife and wider family so always support Scotland enthusiastically except when playing England.

Prediction Germany 1 Scotland 2
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3188
    I am starting to have a nagging doubt about the England v Serbia game. They have a 6ft 5in striker who could cause havoc with our defence and no surprises if they play the 'lob it up to the big fella' Allardyce game.

I think we will win the next two but wouldn't be surprised if we get off to a bad start, along with some of the other big names in the tournament. 

Serbia 2 England 1

Good luck to Scotland tonight!