The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2664
    edited June 21
    The problem with England, and always has been, is the manager trying to instill the pride of playing for your country across the entire squad. For some reason, English club players who are rivals during the club season just cannot gel when it comes to international duty. We've come close to it a few times over the years but it's rare. Compare that to other international sides such as Germany, Spain, France and Brazil who play with national pride, regardless of the club badge.

I think a lot of the problem is the champions league, It's the highest honour to win for some players, I'd argue that it's more important than the World Cup to some of them as that's where their (and their clubs) financial priorities lie. 

Back to England though. Southgate is a poor coach. We need a risk taker, a maverick,somebody who plays in the modern way. Someone who inspires the players to win. Those players over the last two games look like they can't be arsed. 

In my 55 years of walking this planet, we've won absolutely fuck all and judging by the way we played last night, we don't deserve to get past the quarters. The media harking back to '66 doesn't help either, forget it boys it's just shy of 60 years ago.

Far too many times during this tournament I've watched other teams and thought 'I wish we played like them'. 

Pathetic. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1750
    cruxiform said:
    The problem with England, and always has been, is the manager trying to instill the pride of playing for your country across the entire squad. For some reason, English club players who are rivals during the club season just cannot gel when it comes to international duty. We've come close to it a few times over the years but it's rare. Compare that to other international sides such as Germany, Spain, France and Brazil who play with national pride, regardless of the club badge.

I think a lot of the problem is the champions league, It's the highest honour to win for some players, I'd argue that it's more important than the World Cup to some of them as that's where their (and their clubs) financial priorities lie. 

Back to England though. Southgate is a poor coach. We need a risk taker, a maverick,somebody who plays in the modern way. Someone who inspires the players to win. Those players over the last two games look like they can't be arsed. 

In my 55 years of walking this planet, we've won absolutely fuck all and judging by the way we played last night, we don't deserve to get past the quarters. The media harking back to '66 doesn't help either, forget it boys it's just shy of 60 years ago.

Far too many times during this tournament I've watched other teams and thought 'I wish we played like them'. 

Pathetic. 
    The FA wont employ a maverick risk taker, its got be be a yes man. I've never forgiven them for not giving the job to Brian Clough.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1777
    C'mon Poland!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3164
    Well, thought this could be the tournament's first snore draw but it's turned out to be another excellent game. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27959
    Shrews said:
    Well, thought this could be the tournament's first snore draw
    Where were you yesterday?
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2856
    Sam allardyce, that’s wha5 we need 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14760
    tFB Trader
    Come on Holland
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5322
    Time for Mike Bassett and 4 4 fucking 2
    tFB Trader
    Well so far NED v FRA is the 2nd worst game I’ve seen at this tournament 

so slow and boring 
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2036
    edited June 21
    Well so far NED v FRA is the 2nd worst game I’ve seen at this tournament 

so slow and boring 
    Would have been better if Mbappe had worn his 'hero in a half-shell' mask.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16377
    Just listening to an explanation of how ITV and BBC choose which matches to show (it's complicated). Apparently Slovakia vs Ukraine was seen as the least desirable match to have to screen. Nobody on here seems to be commenting on it so they may well have been right. Well done Ukraine.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1127
    Actually one of the first games I've actually had time to sit down and watch from the beginning, and what a dull game! 

First 0-0 of the tournament.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13037
    An absolutely shite game, with two teams full of diving wee shites, both happy with a 0-0, commented on by Jermaine f**king Jenas. 

Amazed I made it the full ninety minutes. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10005
    IMMER WIEDER ÖSTERREICH! Great result
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8871
    All that fuss about the disallowed goal.

Quite clearly past the Dutchie on the left hand side.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    JerkMoans said:
    All that fuss about the disallowed goal.

Quite clearly past the Dutchie on the left hand side.
    Very good @JerkMoans gave me my first chuckle of the day , wasted in the legal profession 
    Seems England players aren’t fit enough to play an intense match according to Mr Southgate, certainly go some way to explaining the performance but does beg the question why not play more of the excellent younger players?
    tFB Trader
    mgaw said:
    Seems England players aren’t fit enough to play an intense match according to Mr Southgate, certainly go some way to explaining the performance but does beg the question why not play more of the excellent younger players?
    I noticed we didn't press much, but assumed that was part of the game plan - Some teams do play that way - Part of me thought the lack of pressing was also because the players don't have that 'play week in/week out' mentality, whereby they instantly know when to press and what triggers that movement - In a new team it might take more 'organising' to say 'GO' - Hence Gareth left it alone - Just my thought a few games ago 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11425
    International manager: players come to me on international duty from their clubs and they are knackered before we start.

Club manager: I watch my fit players go away on international duty and they come back injured and out for weeks.*

Twas ever thus.

*Unless you are Ryan Giggs, who played almost no friendlies as Sir Alex habitually pulled him out because of amazingly- timed injuries.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16070
    Peeps, can Scotland still qualify...mathematically
    tae be or not tae be