The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27982
    I understand that having some ex-players on the discussion panels brings some knowledge of actually playing the game, but perhaps some other perspectives would be relevant too?  

Some more ex-managers (not the ex-players who then became failed managers), maybe a ref or two (not just a hidden voice), maybe some fan representation (isn’t that who the game is allegedly being played for?).

And please bring in yellow/red cards for commentators for when they over-use the superlatives.

”Absolutely incredible”; two uses per game
    ”Out of this world”; one use per game
    ”Unbelievable”; no uses per game (you just seen it happen, it’s clearly not unbelievable).

Still, nice to see that all channels have fully embraced diversity and equality, and make sure that their pitch side host is always female, always young, and always attractive.  That’s what equality is all about.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10013
    edited June 23
    Sky Sports used to have fan commentary available on the red button, they used to have a fab from each team co commentating and as I recall, it was absolutely atrocious
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27982
    Sky Sports used to have fan commentary available on the red button, they used to have a fab from each team co commentating and as I recall, it was absolutely atrocious
    Yes, I did wonder whether that was a good idea as I was typing it.  It’d need to be an intelligent, articulate fan-of-the-game rather than a half-pissed rabid suppporter of either team that’s just been pulled out of the pub.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 23
    I think the only instance of it I recall being any good, was again a Soccer AM one where they had Tim Lovejoy (Chelsea fan) and Bradley Walsh (Arsenal fan) for an FA Cup final. Somebody passed the ball to Ray Parlour, to which Lovejoy said "oh it's only Ray Parlour" just before Parlour curled in an absolute screamer from 30 years
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5028
    What irritates me about match commentaries is the excessive level of fans noise. I, mostly, mute the commentary but I enjoy the half time comments by the pundits. Shay Given is good, Dudu Hamann is truly excellent and not afraid to point out mistakes or poor decision making by players on the field. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11432
    TTony said:
    Yes, I did wonder whether that was a good idea as I was typing it.  It’d need to be an intelligent, articulate fan-of-the-game rather than a half-pissed rabid suppporter of either team that’s just been pulled out of the pub.
    When I first got Sky Sports (for the 1992 cricket world cup) you were able to have no commentary and could choose your camera angle. Things have gone backwards since then.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14784
    tFB Trader
    munckee said:
    Roy Keane gives a fair assessment of where we are. When the all English panel were talking about how we should be able to win the tournament before we’d kicked a ball Keane said “you’re all right and you’ll qualify from the group but any of the top nations will take your defence apart.” 

That’s pretty much where we are in think. 
    I think at times he is fine in his Roy Keane way - But at times he deliberately tries to be a twat 
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1778
    scrumhalf said:

When I first got Sky Sports (for the 1992 cricket world cup) ...
    We never had Sky growing up.

;)
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2668
    scrumhalf said:

When I first got Sky Sports (for the 1992 cricket world cup) ...
    We never had Sky growing up.

;)
    Tough times man. 
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2668
    With regards to the commentary discussion. I would love it to be done in the style of the World Snooker Championships with that degree of calmness. It’d be hilarious. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • P0wderF1ngerP0wderF1nger Frets: 99
    but then it did have it's moments -Leicester City vs Leeds United fanzone 03/04 (youtube.com) 
  • ewalewal Frets: 2655
    Well, can't say I'm confident about this evening's game. 4 points and we qualify has become the mantra, almost to the point that it's a done deal. But Hungary are decent and need the win too.

Team-wise, I agree with Leanne - McGinn hasn't done enough. I'd bring in either Christie or Armstrong (who always does well when he gets on the pitch). I think I'd also like us to go with 4 at the back - an extra midfielder might give us more control further forward. Neither of these things are likely to happen though.

tFB Trader
    Good luck to the Scots tonight- Hope you make the KO stage - Currently a draw would put u thru as the best of the 3rd place qualifiers but it might not stay that way in a day or so - Yet even a win probably won’t send you through in the top 2 places tonight 
    We won't get through with a draw. Any win for 4 points, 3rd place and we're through.
    tFB Trader
    Good to see Alan Hansen has been discharged from hospital and hopefully continues to recover at home 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3180

Not sure what the teams will be but I expect Germany will play a weakened side with 5 0r 6 changes

Germany 2 Switzerland 1

The new German players will be trying to impress and I think the Swiss will be determined but run out of juice late on and that may well let in the Germans to seal the game. 

Scotland 3 Hungary 0

I think Scotland are going to shock a lot of people in this game and can see some disciplinary issues in a frustrated Hungarian side. A very positive Scotland 1-0 at HT, a sending off, and 2 more goals to follow. 

Good luck to Scotland this evening, hope you get the result you need - i've no reason to doubt they can't do it with a good reaction like they had the other night. Hungary seem to be misfiring so perhaps wind them up a bit and you might get them frustrated and/or hopefully some free kicks or cards etc.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5028
    Good luck to Scotland tonight. Hungary are no pushover but if the Scots give it a right go from the off, four points will get them through to the KO stage. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Hope McGinn proves me wrong - he's due a decent game.
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1431
    Good luck the scots this evening, it should be a good game, hopefully see players going for it like they did last week. Need a bit of luck i think to take the win.
    Dont worry, be silly.