The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1069
    mgaw said:
    Enquired about getting season ticket for the coming season, waiting list of nearly 4000, there’s been a big waiting list for a few years, very well supported team

Give it a few months under Rooney and that demand will ease a bit I think.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14806
    tFB Trader
    Shrews said:
    I can't see us resting 3-5 key players tonight. Finish 2nd and we play Germany (not checked, read it somewhere), but win and we play a 3rd place team.

If we finish 3rd ourselves then it's Portugal or the winner of the group with Belgium in it.

I think he will likely stick with the TAA "experiment" go for another low energy win and it will be in the knockout stages where we see the emergence of other players and higher energy tactics. Possibly 2nd half tonight if we can't deal with Sesko up front.

But 3-0, low energy, slow, boring, but still well on top and picking off Slovenia as they put additional risk into coming forward. No surprises if it's 0-0 at half-time and 'Southgate out' breaks the internet. 
    Sure TAA won't start - If he does then Southgate both stubborn and stupid - It has not remotely worked - Sometimes you see potential but it needs working on - The TAA plan is just a dud
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1130
    Southgate has to change it up tonight, get some balance on the left and keep the width. Gordon and Gallagher to come in maybe. Need to play on the front foot, not this backwards safe passing bullshit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    AlbertC said:
    Slovenia have a lot to play for, so I’m not counting on much entertainment from this evening….
    to borrow a phrase from elsewhere, another “ming vase” performance from England I reckon 
    Providing they don't loose by more than 2 goals, as it stands Slovenia can still qualify as a best loser - At the expense of Croatia - The risk to that is a Czech win, or even a draw tomorrow night 

I'm sure if we could have. vote as to who goes thru' as a 'best placed' loser then Croatia would win

Crazy, but potentially the Belgium group could have 4 teams with 4 points, yet the bottom placed of those 4 teams will still go home, despite having more points than other countries in 3rd place 
    tFB Trader
    Was going to watch the match at home - But then thought let’s have a stroll in to town and see if busy and who is about  - They might be out nearer the time but no build up - It’s dead - So back home 
    tFB Trader
    Group D getting exciting  - Constantly changing channels to see what is what 
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1436
    Great win for austria and another superb game.
    Good luck to england tonight against those footballing giants Slovenia. Even if southgate puts on the subs bench and does a mike basset pre match team talk, they should still win. 

Dont worry, be silly.
    tFB Trader
    Well so far, only Spain on fire - If they had a Kane style striker they'd be lethal 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5028
    Shocking game, what happens to players when they don an England shirt?  Decent players seem to forget everything they know when playing for England. Hopefully the second half is an improvement over the first, frankly it couldn’t be worse. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

tFB Trader
    Are you all having fun 
    tFB Trader
    Rocker said:
    Shocking game, what happens to players when they don an England shirt?  Decent players seem to forget everything they know when playing for England.
    I had similar thoughts- Even Jude looks like he has managed to drop down a level or two
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28005
    Are you all having fun 
    I'm posting long replies here, and cleaning up old emails in my inbox with the TV on in the background.  
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2042
    One of our strikers needs to jump in front of a defender and give 'em a good ole hip toss to the floor, then appeal for a penalty. If it isn't given, at least England can appease fans by saying it was the referee's fault that they couldn't score for toffee.

Slovenia could also be charitable at this point and score against themselves.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1289
    Rocker said:
    Shocking game, what happens to players when they don an England shirt?  Decent players seem to forget everything they know when playing for England. Hopefully the second half is an improvement over the first, frankly it couldn’t be worse. 
    It's not just England. Just look at Netherlands and Belgium old and current. Argentina with Messi didn't do well until recently. France Spain and Germany seem to be only consistent European teams who can field a team of superstars and still maximise their individual talents for their national teams. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28005
    To be fair to Southgate and England, I think it's pretty incredible that they've managed to find so many look-alikeys who can also play football to a semi-decent semi-pro standard.

Every look-alikey player on the pitch looks just like a well known English player, just that the look-alikeys have only got about 40% of the skill and energy of the real version and clearly weren't paying attention during the "pass forward" and "score goals" classes.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31962
    Rocker said:
    Decent players? I'm still seeing a massive disconnect between the way these players are fêted by pundits and press pre-match, and the drab, unskilled ideas vacuums I'm watching in every single game, poking the ball around the centre circle without any kind of clue what to do next. 

In short, put the redtop back pages down and just look at them, they're just shite. 
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1289
    Palmer and Mainoo need to start next game. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23661
    swiller said:
    Good luck to england tonight against those footballing giants Slovenia. Even if southgate puts on the subs bench and does a mike basset pre match team talk, they should still win. 
    Well you say that....
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 969
    92 minute - first shot on target? 
    Or was there one before I missed
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7834
    A poor England top a very poor group... Slovenia playing for a draw and happy to defend with all 10 players. Tournament football goes this way sometimes.