The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• ShrewsShrews Frets: 3209
    Holland creating good chances but just not putting them away. Bet they'd love a Van Nistelrooy, Van Basten or even a Van Morrison right now. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23785
    Nobody'd love a Van Morrison.  Clinton Morrison maybe.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    A 2nd had to come with that much creativity. Gakpo looks a real handful. Romania look exhausted. 
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7362
    Philly_Q said:
    Clinton is my favourite ever Palace player. We were cack in those days but he worked hard , had a good scoring record and encapsulated what we were about ie not very good but with an attitude and a fanbase of a team far better 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14858
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    or Bill Clinton - A man who knew how to put it away 
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7362
    Philly_Q said:
    or Bill Clinton - A man who knew how to put it away 
    or get it out
    Best creativity yet, albeit against a tired looking side. They lack a clinical finisher though, although there's still time for that to develop.

No surprises if it's a typical Dutch 'flattering to deceive' performance with not really being tested at the back. 
    Terrible defending Austria. Zero concentration. 
    Goalkeeper take a bow. Save of the tournament. Great defending Turkey and deserve to go through. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1266
    Shrews said:
    Goalkeeper take a bow. Save of the tournament. Great defending Turkey and deserve to go through. 
    He deserves a mid strength beer tonight doesn't he.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10043
    A shame to see my chosen team go out early but they just weren't at it tonight, ball control seemed patchy. Maybe they were shaken by the early goal as that was so unlike them, they are normally very organised and not so clumsy. 

Turkiye played a great game plan and defensively managed it well. And that save... Blimey. Definitely a match winner that one, beautifully saved. He'd done well earlier on a few times as well, Austria had a couple of chances and could have got back in it sooner were it not for done good goalkeeping and defending.
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16453

AlbertC said:
    Perhaps on a French guitar forum there’s a thread titled Le Fil de Football where everyone is complaining about how shit the national team is playing…

Yea they will be. The Spanish are also very hard on their team, they think they've got it bad here but over there they take no prisoners. And lets not talk about South America!

When we were in the Basque region of Spain (although they wouldn't thank you for calling it that) the amount of flags, posters, shirts, etc, in some places was like Bilbao were in a cup final every day of the week. 

Shrews said:
    Fastest goal ever in the Euros but shocking defending. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    tFB Trader
    Shrews said:
    Great save, but not the Banks moment as some describe - Banks had to go from the near post at the start of the move and finish of at the far post with the ball almost on the ground when it came to knock it over the bar 
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1424

AlbertC said:
    Perhaps on a French guitar forum there’s a thread titled Le Fil de Football where everyone is complaining about how shit the national team is playing…

Yea they will be. The Spanish are also very hard on their team, they think they've got it bad here but over there they take no prisoners. And lets not talk about South America!

When we were in the Basque region of Spain (although they wouldn't thank you for calling it that) the amount of flags, posters, shirts, etc, in some places was like Bilbao were in a cup final every day of the week. 

Shrews said:
    I happened to be in Basque country having lunch in a village when the women's world cup final was on. Nobody was watching it. Not sure if it was because we were in the Basque country or not...
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16453

AlbertC said:

Shrews said:
    I happened to be in Basque country having lunch in a village when the women's world cup final was on. Nobody was watching it. Not sure if it was because we were in the Basque country or not...

I wouldn't like to speculate.

There was a big (properly big) banner up in one town that said something like Tourists You Need To Know That We Are Basque And Not Spanish. Although I probably looked every inch a tourist I felt like I didn't want to take a photo of it and definitely out myself as one as it didn't feel very friendly. 

Back to the football,briefly, the only team left in where I don't have any holiday stories is Turkey so the forum should be greatful if they make it all the way to the final. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3058
    edited July 3

AlbertC said:

Shrews said:

I wouldn't like to speculate.

There was a big (properly big) banner up in one town that said something like Tourists You Need To Know That We Are Basque And Not Spanish. Although I probably looked every inch a tourist I felt like I didn't want to take a photo of it and definitely out myself as one as it didn't feel very friendly. 

Back to the football,briefly, the only team left in where I don't have any holiday stories is Turkey so the forum should be greatful if they make it all the way to the final. 
    Aye, many don’t support Spain and don’t consider themselves Spanish. I went to see Wales play a friendly against the Basque Country team in Bilbao. We were given a great welcome… ‘f@£& Spain’ is what a few of their fans told us outside the San Mames 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Once again we have got through to the 'easy' side of the draw - I don't mean those sides on our 1/2 of the draw will ensure a place in teh final - But you look at Portugal, France, Spain, Germany - Probably the 4 favs to win, both now and at the start of the tournament - Yet they all take each other out, apart from 1 - Those 4 clubs and relevant games are effectively the finals 
    Good article on the Beeb website as to where we are at:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/cz5r38x6ky6o

As for being on the right side of the draw, yes we are, but that's only because we accumulated enough points to finish top. I am sure Gareth's cry has always been 'finish top' and grow into the tournament (how often have we heard pundits say that?). 
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1424
    edited July 3
    As an Irish fella I would love to be in Englands position! Stop moaning :)  =)
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4954
    Man United cutting 250 jobs: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c3grq5w2j55o

Also Sweary Mary has left for PSG, despite being offered a new contract - said something like their direction doesn't align with her career aspirations.  The men's team are taking over the women's facilities while the Carrington training ground is redeveloped, so where will the women go?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom