Star Wars: Obi Wan Kenobi.

What's Hot

Comments

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4223
    edited June 2022
    ^ My take on it is that he feels he’s already won, and that (re-)capturing and torturing Obi-Wan is inevitable. The sadist in Vader might relish the idea that Obi-Wan will feel hope & relief from being rescued, before the torment of knowing that Vader is out there, has beaten him, and is coming for him bears down on him. Vader has time on his side, he’s not looking to give Obi-Wan a quick death… yet, he wants him to suffer, and he still blames him for Padme’s death too.

This also sets up a second & bigger confrontation at the end of the series, whereby Obi-Wan wins - thereby making Vader feel like the learner again, and neatly tying into the EpIV fight once more.

*edit* also, a bit of ring theory here - Vader’s over-confidence in letting Obi-Wan get away here literally sets up his own downfall, which is a nice play on similar motifs by sith lords in general
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    edited June 2022

^ My take on it is that he feels he’s already won, and that (re-)capturing and torturing Obi-Wan is inevitable. The sadist in Vader might relish the idea that Obi-Wan will feel hope & relief from being rescued, before the torment of knowing that Vader is out there, has beaten him, and is coming for him bears down on him. Vader has time on his side, he’s not looking to give Obi-Wan a quick death… yet, he wants him to suffer, and he still blames him for Padme’s death too.

This also sets up a second & bigger confrontation at the end of the series, whereby Obi-Wan wins - thereby making Vader feel like the learner again, and neatly tying into the EpIV fight once more.

*edit* also, a bit of ring theory here - Vader’s over-confidence in letting Obi-Wan get away here literally sets up his own downfall, which is a nice play on similar motifs by sith lords in general

My take on it is that people are forgetting this is a limited series, 6 episodes, and I'm just watching ep 4 now.

Vader vs OWK in ep3 was a mid season tease.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    You know, it never occured to me that the machines in the matrix have a big dose of espionage and seeker droid from star wars in them.
    edited June 2022
    It seems they did film some new scenes with Hayden as Anakin..

Or they had some unused scenes from AOTC or ROTS

I think the former as Hayden did look a wee touch craggy under the makeup.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24796
    Definitely new scenes.

The de-aging is ok but quite obvious.

I WANT TO BUY:
    Fairfield "The Accountant" Compressor Pedal.

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10385
    Seems like pretty much everyone can be stabbed through their abdomen with a lightsaber and can miraculously recover multiple times. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1328
    I'm not really in to this series.  I've found a few of the action scenes to be quite silly, like the little girl running away from the gang in the woodland.... That scene added nothing to the story, except to make the gang look really dumb.  Really bad direction.....  "so we'll get a shot of the girl ducking under here and then the guy runs in to it, great, and make it look super lame, brilliant work.... And the girl, can she look like she isn't scared or desperate to escape at all?  Perfect, yeah, like she's just running from mark a to mark b, great stuff.... "

Similar kind of stuff to Boba Fett really.  I wish they'd get some better writers and directors doing it!  It feels like Fan Fiction to me.

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2846
    I think it’s great. Great having Vader back, even though he’s not a physically butch or walls like the old one.  But he’s the only baddie in the whole series. All the other Darths and the emporer are crap in terms of making you feel scared.  vader just has “it”, but because I’d Ep4-6 brought him to his end they have had to create lots of other villains but they are nowhere as good.
    so good to have him back.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72977
    sinbaadi said:
    I'm not really in to this series.  I've found a few of the action scenes to be quite silly, like the little girl running away from the gang in the woodland.... That scene added nothing to the story, except to make the gang look really dumb.  Really bad direction.....  "so we'll get a shot of the girl ducking under here and then the guy runs in to it, great, and make it look super lame, brilliant work.... And the girl, can she look like she isn't scared or desperate to escape at all?  Perfect, yeah, like she's just running from mark a to mark b, great stuff.... "
    Yes, got to agree with that. But… this goes back a long way. Further than many of us probably like to admit.

Ewoks.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15785
    ICBM said:
    sinbaadi said:
    Yes, got to agree with that. But… this goes back a long way. Further than many of us probably like to admit.

Ewoks.
    well, fire up the barbie, looks like we've found our sacrificial feast. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12520
    Ewoks was the jumping the shark moment and everything else had been like scooby doo after scrappy arrived except for rogue one. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    munckee said:
    Ewoks was the jumping the shark moment and everything else had been like scooby doo after scrappy arrived except for rogue one. 
    reading that out of context it sounds like something Hunter S Thompson would say, probably a few miles out from Barstow. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10385
    munckee said:
    Even Mando?

This series isn't great really, is it. 
  • If this had come out as a 2 part tv movie over 2 consecutive nights people would be hailing it as the best Star Wars ever.

Personally I'm loving it, just lie back and enjoy the ride.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1711
    If this had come out as a 2 part tv movie over 2 consecutive nights people would be hailing it as the best Star Wars ever.

Likewise here..  only time 4 of us sit to watch TV together..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• If this had come out as a 2 part tv movie over 2 consecutive nights people would be hailing it as the best Star Wars ever.

I watch it alone but the force is with me :)
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    If this had come out as a 2 part tv movie over 2 consecutive nights people would be hailing it as the best Star Wars ever.

so are you saying there is only one of you? Like the Sith? 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7696
    VimFuego said:

so are you saying there is only one of you? Like the Sith? 
    Always 2 there are... 
    Red ones are better. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7696
    So, ep5 : 
    Vader's powers seem really badass, but that just makes letting Obi Wan get away in Ep 3 so much more ridiculous.

As it is I'll take it - just to see him chuck that transporter around 

Red ones are better. 
  • dariusdarius Frets: 670
    Is it just me getting really jumpy frame rate stuff on these episodes? Like everything is stop-animation. Even people walking across screen. 
    A bit like the old PAL vs NTFS(ish)?