Introduce Yourself

What's Hot
1118119120121122124»

Comments

• KentishBKentishB Frets: 1
    edited September 10
    Hey everyone. I’m Niall, Irish fella based in Manchester. Bass player primarily.
    Used to live in London, Kentish Town specifically, hence the KentishB user name. I’m Kentishbass on Bass Chat & Guitar Chat. Like to keep the user name uniform according all forums, in case people see duplicate ads and stuff. 
    Used to play a lot more and seriously in my 20s and 30s. Did some cool stuff and played, recorded, produced a fair bit. Parenthood put the skids on things and I guess my current musical ambition is to just keep being creative. Good for the mind, body & soul. 
    My favourite piece of gear is my 97 American Fender Precision Deluxe. Absolutely incredible bass. 
    #1 track? I’m sure that’s a hard one for anybody. 
    They say the music you discover to in your early teens is what sticks with you, so a song that was always gets my full attention is Can’t Find My Way Home by Blind Faith. I found it on the soundtrack to a movie called 1969 that my dad used to play in his car.
    In terms of a #1 track that influenced by playing, BloodSugarSexMagik was the album that got me obsessed with playing music, but interestingly it was learning the line to the Under The Bridge b-side Soul 2 Squeeze that I was most proud of. It was the first fluid melodic bass line I ever nailed. Was actually more buzzed about that than any of the more intricate funk stuff. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi I'm Alan (UK), 44yrs old and thought I already did this post a long time ago but alas I guess I didn't so.....hi!

Q1:  Where did you username come from? The guys at 'The Music Centre' in Bedford use to call be Alonious Monk (as my name is Alan, but oddly I've never listened to Thelonious Monk)

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? Bedfordshire, a little village called Houghton Conquest. Nice enough place but thankfully nothing like Bedford 

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? As I'd achieved nothing musically by 40, I assumed nothing, then joined a band 2yrs ago, and our first album is out next month so...actually a lot to look forward to now :) 

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? My old faithful Epiphone SG, and my Ibanez Iceman. The IC120 so the scaled down body size, but prefer that better.

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? 'Plan 9 Channel 7' -The Damned

• Hi I'm Alan (UK), 44yrs old and thought I already did this post a long time ago but alas I guess I didn't so.....hi!

Q1:  Where did you username come from? The guys at 'The Music Centre' in Bedford use to call be Alonious Monk (as my name is Alan, but oddly I've never listened to Thelonious Monk)

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? Bedfordshire, a little village called Houghton Conquest. Nice enough place but thankfully nothing like Bedford 

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? As I'd achieved nothing musically by 40, I assumed nothing, then joined a band 2yrs ago, and our first album is out next month so...actually a lot to look forward to now :) 

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? My old faithful Epiphone SG, and my Ibanez Iceman. The IC120 so the scaled down body size, but prefer that better.

Hi @Alonious_Monk ; Good to have you here and well done on the album.  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Hi @Alonious_Monk ; Good to have you here and well done on the album.  
    Thanks a lot, got 3 gigs lined up in October and only 2 under our belt since last September. Never been a gigging musician before, so the next step is getting comfortable/confident onstage :D
  • PeteBoPeteBo Frets: 25
    1 username.
    Many years ago a mate I was in a band with had a little brother called Tim, I used to call him "Tim-bo"  as a reposte he henceforth called me "Pete-Bo" which always amused us and it stuck.
    2 Where are you.
    South East London ish.
    3 Musical Ambition.
    Well I've mainly been a bass player in a variety of bands over the years, but now doing a bit more "guitar worrying" I'd like to create a bunch of recordings of my own stuff, ambient meets spaghetti western and so on.
    4 Best Gear. 
    All my gear is cheap rubbish really. 
    5. Favourite Track. 
    Yikes, can I get back to you on that one!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteBo said:
    1 username.
    Many years ago a mate I was in a band with had a little brother called Tim, I used to call him "Tim-bo"  as a reposte he henceforth called me "Pete-Bo" which always amused us and it stuck.
    2 Where are you.
    South East London ish.
    3 Musical Ambition.
    Well I've mainly been a bass player in a variety of bands over the years, but now doing a bit more "guitar worrying" I'd like to create a bunch of recordings of my own stuff, ambient meets spaghetti western and so on.
    4 Best Gear. 
    5. Favourite Track. 
    @PeteBo ;   Welcome along - hope you find it helpful.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteBoPeteBo Frets: 25
    PeteBo said:
    1 username.
    2 Where are you.
    South East London ish.
    3 Musical Ambition.
    4 Best Gear. 
    5. Favourite Track. 
    @PeteBo ;   Welcome along - hope you find it helpful.
    Cheers , i've referred to stuff on here om numerous occasions when i've searched for guitar related info on t'internet, so seems like a good plan to join  :)
  • Evening everybody. My name's Will – 40 years old last weekend, father of three kids under 6, spent a lot of time studying music at school and university, played in bands in my 20s, but had 10 years off and haven't done much in the last 5 years except consume gear and play the same licks over and over and over...

1. Username
    When I was about 13 years old (and MSN chat rooms and usernames were just becoming a thing) my older brothers were big Gomez fans, and 'Feed My Bongos' was allegedly the working title of one of their albums.

2. Location
    Guildford, UK

3. Musical ambition
    I used to love music – playing it, listening to it, learning about it, talking about it. Competitive formal music education and the vicissitudes of life have taken a lot of this enjoyment away. I find it hard to 'play' guitar, without constantly analysing, judging, and belittling whatever sounds I make. I would love to get to a place where I'm a bit less focused on gear (though obviously the GAS is never going away) and a bit more able to make music either just for myself, or to play in a band (ideally pop punk covers) and have some fun with it.

4. Best gear
    The only bit of gear that has stood the test of time is my Highway One Strat in transparent Honey Blonde. Lollar Dirty Blondes, a wiring loom from James' Home Of Tone, and a proper set-up and TLC from Feline Guitars has made it my never-sell guitar.

5. #1 track
    'Stuck In The Middle' by Four Year Strong (very different to the Stealers Wheel song of the same name).
  • E-RockE-Rock Frets: 2
    Greetings from across the pond!

Q1:  Where did your username come from?

A play on my name, Erik.  The singer in my father's old band back in the late 80's gave me the nickname "E-Rock" when I was a teenager.

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you?

USA

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition?

To enjoy playing guitar to a ripe old age.  (If Keef can keep going, there is hope!)

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?

1958 Les Paul Special

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one?

Hendrix - "Stone Free" live at the Royal Albert Hall, 24 February 1969
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • E-Rock said:
    Greetings from across the pond!

Q1:  Where did your username come from?

A play on my name, Erik.  The singer in my father's old band back in the late 80's gave me the nickname "E-Rock" when I was a teenager.

USA

To enjoy playing guitar to a ripe old age.  (If Keef can keep going, there is hope!)

1958 Les Paul Special

Hendrix - "Stone Free" live at the Royal Albert Hall, 24 February 1969
    Welcome @E-Rock - great to see you here.  

• Q1:  Where did your username come from?

Well its actually my name so don't tell anyone lol

Surrey UK

To play and create original music

A strat style guitar, that i made from planks of wood

Tricky one as i like loads of stuff but Strange World from Iron Maidens first album.
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1769
    Welcome @Sinclair. You'll find a few fans of early Maiden here. :)

And a belated welcome to @KentishB ; - can't go wrong with a good P bass.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1686
    bobbydj said:
    York, England - more generally: Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea Supercluster, the Universe.

Welcome! I am also from the Solar System. 

Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie