PRS guitars

What's Hot

Comments

• BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 968
    The dentist thing. 
    Still makes no sense to me but then neither do £8k Murphy Lab Gibsons where you pay extra for a guy to scuff up a poorly made guitar that won’t stay in tune with a headstock that falls off in a breeze. 
    And fender Custom Shop MasterBuilds. Really?

We’re almost programmed to reject anything new, and then complain about the lack of anything new. 
    Sterile? Utter forum bollocks. 

Try a PRS and you might be surprised at the vibe they have. 
    I love my Audis too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12765
    I can appreciate PRS guitars for their obvious quality and craftsmanship.  And I totally get why some people love them.   However, they're not for me.  What some people here have called 'vibe' or 'mojo' isn't there and I have no desire to pick one up, let alone buy one.  The same goes for LPs.

Incidentally, I drive an Audi :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    This is a regular topic on here.
    If I had a pound for every time this comes up, I'd have 6 or 7 pounds.
    Not sure who you're trying to convince.
    I don't get on with Les Pauls and no amount of persuasion will make me change my mind.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 968
    If you’d like your PRS to have flaws which somehow count as mojo, you’ll have to put them in yourself after buying ;-) 
    you could misalign the bridge or nut or stain the binding to be more like a Gibson or replace the bridge pick-up for that ice pick fender feel?

(all in jest)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve hardly played any PRSes. I suppose I really ought to try more as they appeal to me ‘on paper’ in terms of features and I really like the look of some of them (admittedly the more traditional sunburst/goldtops etc). 

I played a couple of the satin finish mahogany ones that came out in the late noughties - I certainly could have been tempted by one of those. 

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24091
    Sassafras said:

I think you'd actually have enough to open a nice little Post Office savings account and possibly buy a Christmas hamper.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzer22dazzer22 Frets: 44
    I have never felt the need to buy a PRS  they just didn't peal to me at the time  ,  over the years i have tried Gibson -   fender but never felt like i was completely happy  and felt over priced ,   I just think when it comes to buying a guitar  it best to keep an open mind and  try different guitar makes,  and don't buy one because of price    or hype and  what people say,   i never felt i would have ended up with a guitar that is valued around £1300 which to me is as good as any PRS or Gibson . 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9705
    Sassafras said:
    I don't get on with Les Pauls and no amount of persuasion will make me change my mind.
    We must be due a relic thread soon. 
    I’d take a pound for “dragged behind a car” and “honest playwear” on that one 
    chris78 said:
    Sassafras said:
    We must be due a relic thread soon. 
    I’d take a pound for “dragged behind a car” and “honest playwear” on that one 
    I'll raise you a fiver for Ian Elson.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2187
    By my own confession it took me a good 10-15 years to get past my own misconceptions, before I tried a custom 24. 
    Mainly because I couldn't justify the price, I'm glad I picked up a DGT second hand when I did! When I first tried a custom 24 it was exactly what I was after.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3880
    I hate cucumber. It smells really weird to me and tastes like death and I’ve not touched it since the 80s when I was in single figures. 

Am I wrong?
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7109
    I hate cucumber. It smells really weird to me and tastes like death and I’ve not touched it since the 80s when I was in single figures. 

Am I wrong?
    Yes, that’s celery you’re referring to!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Good lord this topic again? 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24091

Am I wrong?
    If you'd left it in the fridge since the early '80s it would be pretty manky by now, that's for sure.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12147
    I wasn't interested or disinterested, and randomly ended up with 2 within days of each other through trades

I'm very impressed with them, far more than the Gibsons I owned then. I find the later models have far more expressive pickups, but haven't tried out all that many models
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3880
    Philly_Q said:

Am I wrong?
    If you'd left it in the fridge since the early '80s it would be pretty manky by now, that's for sure.
    And sPhilly_Q said:

Am I wrong?
    And still more enjoyable than this thread. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    Philly_Q said:

Am I wrong?
    And sPhilly_Q said:

Am I wrong?
    And still more enjoyable than this thread. 
    The great thing about tFB is that it isn't mandatory to either read or contribute to any given thread.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1029
    @NelsonP ;  You say you once played a PRS in the 80's - Despite some 'vintage' old school vibe that is now applied to late 80's models I'm not a fan of them - Feel or tone - I'm a big PRS fan - Sold many, played many, own 3 - Maybe like the Gibson range there is no one guitar that sums up the feel, tonal character and playability of the brand - A Custom 24 is a different beast to a 594 - Build quality and attention to detail sums up the brand

Obviously I don't know what you currently own and play and ditto about your playing style, so hard to suggest model a or model b - But well worth trying out a few other models - Granted you may not like one after a test drive or two 

Not sure where this dentist tag came from - When PRS first appeared on the scene they were sold to pro orientated musicians based on the whole hands playing experience that such a guitar offers - In the UK I recall early player/owners included Tony Hicks, Phil Hilbourne, Geoff Whitehorn - None of them are dentists

Finally, the guitar trade is lucky to have the likes of PRS who can stand up in the 'Steve Jobs' way and talk about guitars - He is knowledgable on many facets of the guitar industry old and new - Gibson/Fender/etc do not have an equivalent head of a company that can do this - In fact they probably never ever had such a 'front man' who can talk, play, design, and drive the company
    Really good points @guitars4you ;
    I remember Phillip McKnight mentioned something similar on a recent podcast. He said if anyone had a question about something like a specific neck shape on a 1st year production model, Paul would be able to answer that question because he was there.

No chance of getting that from the big 2, Fender & Gibson.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • wesker123wesker123 Frets: 497
    Paul Reed Smith > Vorsprung durch Technik
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    Great guitars. Amongst many things I tried in the 80's, some of which I probably don't remember, PRS guitars are something I liked then, and still have a few today. 

I never understand how anyone can form an opinion of a guitar brand while, having next to no experience of them, especially as they have been around for the last 35 years. 

Oh and WTF is mojo ? You either get on with an instrument or not, that is all about you. There is nothing magical in the instrument, it's either an efficient tool for creating music on or it isn't. You input the rest.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom