PRS guitars

What's Hot
1234568»

Comments

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3352
    Is it ok to admit I find them a little intimidating? I know it is entirely down to my own insecurities as a player, but I always feel like I’m not allowed to ask to try a PRS, that I’m not ‘typical’ of its players (ridiculous I know). What makes it even more ridiculous is it isn’t a price point thing, I’ve no concern about trying or buying a Gretsch or Gibson or fender. Just yesterday I had the same moment of being stood in a shop, wall full of PRS guitars, had just tried a bunch of £2k+ stuff and looked at them, but couldn’t ask -I’m a 40 year old man, it’s pathetic! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UngulateUngulate Frets: 239
    Not sure why you feel intimidated, my first electric was a PRS S2 singlecut, cos I thought it would "work" without needing fettling, I was right.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3352
    Ungulate said:
    Not sure why you feel intimidated, my first electric was a PRS S2 singlecut, cos I thought it would "work" without needing fettling, I was right.
    It’s ridiculous isn’t it? And with the number of guitars I’ve owned over the years it shouldn’t be a concern at all. It’s a very strange psychology and clearly something that is a hangover from my teens.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UngulateUngulate Frets: 239
    Ungulate said:
    It’s ridiculous isn’t it? And with the number of guitars I’ve owned over the years it shouldn’t be a concern at all. It’s a very strange psychology and clearly something that is a hangover from my teens.
    Imposter syndrome? I still feel it at work sometimes even though I'm the senior guy now!
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1420
    What doesn’t appear to be in doubt is the reliability and dependability of them for regular gigging folks. I am considering scratching the itch and will be thinking about a dual humbucker with coil taps config. What are the neck profiles like? Fat, thin, pattern, wide? I like them fatter - my R8 is lovely as is my cs Strat (oval c I think)
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14963
    tFB Trader
    rsvmark said:
    What doesn’t appear to be in doubt is the reliability and dependability of them for regular gigging folks. I am considering scratching the itch and will be thinking about a dual humbucker with coil taps config. What are the neck profiles like? Fat, thin, pattern, wide? I like them fatter - my R8 is lovely as is my cs Strat (oval c I think)
    On a 22 fret model you will find the old wide/fat profile, now called  'Pattern' the fuller neck - Tad slimmer than your R8 - The Pattern Vintage is closer to your R8 but think it is only available on the 594 (LP style guitars)

24 fret models are mainly Pattern Regular or Pattern Thin - Both a touch slimmer still - The Pattern Regular is not a million miles away from your Strat profile
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14963
    tFB Trader
    rsvmark said:
    necks-new-jpg8237
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4801
    edited July 2022
    Christ.  Even I measure things in metric these days.  7/8 - 63/64".  WTF.

And no matter how many times I look at the chart, I still see at least five shapes if not six.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2628
    I’m just impressed they’ve used fractions throughout rather than decimalise imperial like every other manufacturer does
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24089
    edited July 2022
    Some versions of the PRS neck dimensions chart show slightly different neck depths at the nut (shouldn't that last one below be 57/64"?).  The chart above is good though, they never used to publish the thickness at the 12th fret.

@rlw Here's a metric version (but the text is in German).

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13079
    My PRS is "wide fat"

Where does that fit on the charts above? 
    edited July 2022
    My PRS is "wide fat"

Where does that fit on the charts above? 
    Effectively Pattern is the new name for Wide Fat. 
    There may be some very subtle difference between the two, but not enough to worry about.

Pattern Thin is the new name for Wide Thin.

Pattern Regular used to be known as just Regular, or sometimes Standard.  That one was always confusing...

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13079
    Thanks.

Anyone know if Fender make any guitars with similar necks? I've come to realise I much prefer big chunky necks over thin ones. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12135
    edited July 2022
    It's hard to tell visually so I put them on top of each other.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2022
    Anyone know if Fender make any guitars with similar necks? 
    Not much outside the Custom Shop.  If you're happy with CS prices there are loads of different neck shapes, fat, thin and all points in-between.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1420
    Cheers fellas. 
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1118
    The only PRS that really appeals to me is the Mira with dots/moons.

I absolutely detest those horrible birds and have no use for a trem system.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73430
    BigPaulie said:
    The only PRS that really appeals to me is the Mira with dots/moons.

I absolutely detest those horrible birds and have no use for a trem system.
    There are plenty of older models with stoptails and moons - including ones like the McCarty Soapbar Standard, which is basically a much better Les Paul Special… or the Hollowbody I which is an amazingly light nearly fully hollow guitar. I’ve owned both of those - with moons - but I don’t get on with the stoptail.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein