PRS guitars

What's Hot

Comments

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2187
    The whole shelf queen perfect PRS thing does nark me off. They are instruments to be played. I have a small dent in my ce24 semi hollow and that does annoy me. Because I caused it through carelessness.

My DGT has a few chips and scratches but that's part of its character 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4425
    My mate bought one a few years ago. Until then I'd never played one.

It was a really nicely put together and easy to play guitar that sounds good. Not a lot not to like.

I'm not a fan of the bird inlays, but I know you can get models with dots instead. 

I'd buy one.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4801
    I've had four PRS guitars - an early CE24, an early McCarty, a Vela and a early SE245 P90.  All gone.  

At the time, I don't think I understood them to well and it's only now, some years later, that I appreciate that they were meant to be played loud and hard.  IMO, they weren't great for noodling away, quietly, in the spare room but on a couple of occasions when I could really turn the amp up, they were really bloody good.

I'd kill to get back the CE24 and the McCarty - dents, chips and all.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73437
    I’d love my Standard 22, my Custom 22 Soapbar and maybe even my pink flame-top Custom 22 back… all foolishly sold when somehow I thought I’d gone off PRSs.

The Soapbar had the best neck of the lot - a ‘Regular D’ which was apparently unique to that model. Luckily my Swamp Ash Special has a very similar profile even though it’s meant to be a Wide-Fat. They do vary slightly, even though PRS are very consistent - the Custom 22 was perceptibly fatter than the Standard as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 421
    edited July 2022
    I've had a number of PRS models over the years.  S2 Satin, CU24, McCarty Soapy, 408 and now a DGT.  The earliest was the CU24 from the late 90's and my current DGT is a 2020.  There's a common thread that runs through all of them.  Quality materials, excellent construction, unrivalled quality control compared to most other makes and every one of them has been lively and resonant.  I've only just got the DGT but everything that I've read on this and other forums is true.  Great neck and frets, easy to play and 'convincing' humbucker and single coil tones.  Plus a trem that stays in tune.

I'm not a massive fan of the birds or overly figure tops, but that's just aesthetics.  They are genuine high quality instruments that offer (me) all the versatility I want.  For anyone that hasn't played one, put aside any preconceived notions and give it a try.  And if you don't like the pups....they do come out.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5856
    PRS makes some fantastic instruments, and I love the shape, it's so attractive.

I don't get on very well with the 25" scale on most PRS instruments, though.  If I experiment with strings I can make it work but it feels a bit alien to me.

I also don't like, or understand, their options list, particularly on the core Custom/Standard range - it might have changed in more recent years but it made no sense to me.  On a 24 fret model you could only have a wide/thin or regular neck profile and on the 22 fret model you could only have wide fat or wide thin.  And why did the 22 fret models have that ugly uncomfortable heel when the 24 fret models, which arguably need it more, don't?  Personally, I think that was influenced by tone critics who were seeking a Les Paul sound that weren't really available from the 24 fret models at the time.

The newer instruments with the five way blade switch don't appeal to me - only my personal thing, but blade switches should be mounted to a pick guard or plate only.

I've also gone right off fancy tops and inlays - I know it was a bit of a PRS trademark for a long time and any PRS without was seen as a lesser instrument.  I much prefer plain finishes and moon/dot inlays these days.

A piano black PRS with faux binding and moon/dot inlays is a thing of beauty and I'd take one over a ten top and birds any day.

As for Paul Smith himself, he's a bit full of his own self importance.  I went to a PRS evening with World Guitars a few years ago and listening to him talk was an eye roller.  He talks in riddles and is disingenuous towards his rivals.  His guitars are defacto better in every way than any other manufacturer because he says so.  His comparison demonstrations were rigged to make his guitars seem better when placed side by side with other brands.

Can't say I like the man very much from that, but his guitars are very good, if very expensive.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24091
    Haych said:
    I also don't like, or understand, their options list, particularly on the core Custom/Standard range - it might have changed in more recent years but it made no sense to me.  On a 24 fret model you could only have a wide/thin or regular neck profile and on the 22 fret model you could only have wide fat or wide thin.  And why did the 22 fret models have that ugly uncomfortable heel when the 24 fret models, which arguably need it more, don't?  Personally, I think that was influenced by tone critics who were seeking a Les Paul sound that weren't really available from the 24 fret models at the time.
    Do you actually find the heel on the 22 fret models uncomfortable?  I've got several and I don't find it gets in the way at all.  In fact sometimes I look at the guitars and think "oh yeah, there's that big heel - I'd completely forgotten it was there!".
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    Haych said:
    Do you actually find the heel on the 22 fret models uncomfortable?  I've got several and I don't find it gets in the way at all.  In fact sometimes I look at the guitars and think "oh yeah, there's that big heel - I'd completely forgotten it was there!".
    Yes.

edited July 2022
    Haych said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Haych said:
    Yes.
    I'm glad I only paid for the five minute argument and not the full half hour.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12147
    NelsonP said:
    I think this is the thing. Lancia Delta Integrale Evo beats Audi RS2 coupe. In the same way that Gibson LP Jr beats PRS22. Soul vs competence. Marketing vs product.

Which car would you rather do a 4 wheel drift in? Which guitar would you rather blast out a few riffs on?
    Audi and PRS22
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 968
    PRS knobs and switches fit perfectly where I’d want to put them if I was designing a new guitar for myself. 
    Strat ones I find a bit more fiddly - and as for the S1, that’s the crappiest location for a switch ever
    Philly_Q said:
    Apologies, I will try to be more argumentative in future.

Re the heel, I find a Les Paul more comfortable to play than the PRS with the slab heel.

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12136
    Haych said:
    PRS makes some fantastic instruments, and I love the shape, it's so attractive.

I don't get on very well with the 25" scale on most PRS instruments, though.  If I experiment with strings I can make it work but it feels a bit alien to me.

The newer instruments with the five way blade switch don't appeal to me - only my personal thing, but blade switches should be mounted to a pick guard or plate only.

I've also gone right off fancy tops and inlays - I know it was a bit of a PRS trademark for a long time and any PRS without was seen as a lesser instrument.  I much prefer plain finishes and moon/dot inlays these days.

A piano black PRS with faux binding and moon/dot inlays is a thing of beauty and I'd take one over a ten top and birds any day.

As for Paul Smith himself, he's a bit full of his own self importance.  I went to a PRS evening with World Guitars a few years ago and listening to him talk was an eye roller.  He talks in riddles and is disingenuous towards his rivals.  His guitars are defacto better in every way than any other manufacturer because he says so.  His comparison demonstrations were rigged to make his guitars seem better when placed side by side with other brands.

Can't say I like the man very much from that, but his guitars are very good, if very expensive.

I miss this guitar.  Custom 22 Special

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Haych said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Apologies, I will try to be more argumentative in future.

Re the heel, I find a Les Paul more comfortable to play than the PRS with the slab heel.
    I wasn't really looking to be argumentative. ;) 

It's just interesting how different people feel about these things.  I genuinely don't notice the PRS heel but I find the LP neck joint extremely cumbersome.  Every time I see someone playing up high on an LP I think how do they do that?
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 2028
    I have to say that as a non electric owner and hater of horns,PRS is a brand I'd make an exception for if I ever had the budget for their level of guitar. Their stellar reputation and build quality make them a definite consideration for us pragmatists and non dental workers. Paul Reed Smith is obviously a massive selling point for his product due to his knowledye and expertise within the industry.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9705
    DrJazzTap said:
    The whole shelf queen perfect PRS thing does nark me off. They are instruments to be played. I have a small dent in my ce24 semi hollow and that does annoy me. Because I caused it through carelessness.

It’s pisses Paul off too. Private stock now offer a more traditional nitro finish that’s designed to wear and relic like an old Gibson or fender. I’d love it if they put that on core models
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    chris78 said:
    DrJazzTap said:

It’s pisses Paul off too. Private stock now offer a more traditional nitro finish that’s designed to wear and relic like an old Gibson or fender. I’d love it if they put that on core models
    As I recall, the V12 finish that they started using a while ago, isn't very durable.

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2963
    Anyone played an SE Paul's guitar? Looks really nice in this finish and despite being made of a more blingy material the birds actually look more subtle to me. Needs nickel covered pickups though, open black always looks cheap to me. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73437
    The long heel on the 22-fret models was introduced to remove the dead spot at the 12th fret which often afflicts the 24-fretters. Personally, I don’t notice it at all - it’s certainly less obtrusive than the Strat or Tele heel, let alone a Les Paul, but I can play all of them up to the 22nd fret just fine, on the rare occasions I need to.

A friend of mine has the SE Paul’s Guitar. It’s… OK. Not in the same league as the (admittedly more expensive) US models. Hard to put a finger on exactly why, but it just feels and sounds like a cheap Korean guitar. He also has a US 594 (I think) which is far better - although it should be, at nearly four times the price.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Open_GOpen_G Frets: 154
    I'd long loved the looks of them, but never had the budget to stretch, -even the SE range are not cheap...

Recently saw an SE Standard on Faceache marketplace and went along for a look. Lightweight, great playing, responsive. and an excellent guitar for £300. walked out with it on the spot.