PRS guitars

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24091
    BlueStrat said:
    The heartbeat inlays on the Nita Straus Ibanez are the coolest inlays ever

I wonder if she'll stop using those guitars now she's working for Demi Lovato?  Too metal maybe?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5856
    The best inlays are no inlays at all. Side dots only and an otherwise unmolested fingerboard. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 2028
    BlueStrat said:

If its a Nita Strauss model,could they not be a fancy 'N' design for Nita? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 968
    BlueStrat said:

If its a Nita Strauss model,could they not be a fancy 'N' design for Nita? 
    No, they're heartbeat inlays. Nita describes the guitar herself in several YT videos. 
    She seems  such a cool person
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 645
    normula1 said:
    I actually like the birds and an interesting top, but I really don't like the eagle on the private stock models to the point that if I could ever afford one (lottery win excluded that's not going to happen ) I would specify no eagle.
    Contrasted with Gibson, dots, trapezoids and parallelogram inlays get a thumbs up, as does solid colours and flame, but the supposedly more luxurious blocks (of any size and on any model) are a total no.

Quite like the Collings parallelograms:

I've not seen those before. I really like them
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 968
    Haych said:
    The best inlays are no inlays at all. Side dots only and an otherwise unmolested fingerboard. 
    I used to have an Ibanez S Prestige with no inlays except a tiny one at the 12th, really did look cool that guitar
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 799
    Tony's sabbath cross inlays will always be the coolest thing on a guitar neck, i used to drool as a teenager in the late 70's wishing.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3435
    edited July 2022
    This is a good example of what I really dont get about PRS. Why is this worth 3x a Custom shop Fender or 2x a Murphy Lab Les Paul?
    https://wildwireguitars.com/prs-private-stock-mccarty-594-limited-with-ziricote-neck-in-amaretto-fade-ps-9537/

The S2s seem to be where its at? Like this one...
    https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/151024290240006--prs-s2-vela-egyptian-gold-dots

Am I wrong?
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12136
    NelsonP said:
    This is a good example of what I really dont get about PRS. Why is this worth 3x a Custom shop Fender or 2x a Murphy Lab Les Paul?
    https://wildwireguitars.com/prs-private-stock-mccarty-594-limited-with-ziricote-neck-in-amaretto-fade-ps-9537/

The S2s seem to be where its at? Like this one...
    https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/151024290240006--prs-s2-vela-egyptian-gold-dots

Am I wrong?
    It's not a very good example actually because.....

1 - It's like saying "I hate Audi because their R8 is expensive"

Why is it worth 3x of Fender or Gibson's CS.....apples and oranges, it's not the same brand, it's not the same guitar, it's not the same material and not the same people.  When it is a Private Stock, it's done to spec so they can charge whatever they want for that 1 single build.  A Fender CS, although build to order, it's picked with the same kind of wood, try ask Fender use Ziricote and see how much that cost, but that is a bolt on...so ask Gibson for the same wood and see how much that cost in Murply Labs, then the comparison would be closer.

p.s. you get plenty and PLENTY of Fender and Gibson over £10k.  What makes those Exporer at those prices?  Korina isn't an expenisve wood, PRS used them for their SE One, I have one.  It was a £600 guitar.  

Apples and Oranges. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3435
    edited July 2022
    That's helpful, thanks, but I really struggle to see the value in the Private Stock stuff though. I could be seduced by a £5k CS Strat or Les Paul but not an £11k PRS. In reality a £2k Les Paul Std or American Pro / Ultra would be more than enough. Horses for courses I suppose.

I like Audi R8s. I like Porsche GT3RS's more. But they are pushing £200k and that's a lot of money in anyone's book.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11818
    tFB Trader
    The dentist and lawyer guitar thing was always a jealousy thing towards people with big disposable income who chose a PRS and a Boogie Mk 4 as their first guitar and amp combo when they hadn't previously played anything before.

Those folks never went through the struggle of cheap or nasty guitars
    So instead we hate the brand instead of/ as well as the people with disposable income 
    I used to hate golf for the same reason - rich man's game or so it seemed to me

The thing is that PRS guitars are generally very good pieces of kit.

Now some PRS feel better than others....and they vary from one guitar to the next 
    I have seen so many of them in 35 years as a tech and some leave me cold whilst some others (including many SE models) are great guitars that I would happily own.

Same goes for Fender, Gibson and all other mass producers of guitars - you will always get some that feel more magical than others.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9705
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 925
    NelsonP said:
    That's helpful, thanks, but I really struggle to see the value in the Private Stock stuff though. I could be seduced by a £5k CS Strat or Les Paul but not an £11k PRS. 
    I think you have encapsulated the discussion with that statement. Some guitar players are more invested in Fender and Gibson marketing/heritage than they are in other brands.
    I have a lovely CS telecaster (much nicer looking than that £11k MB) but if I ever get the call from Dave Arch to dep at Strictly it would be PRS or Suhr I would be taking with me.

The car analogies don't work either.  Did Audi not kick Lancia's ass?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12136

FYI, I consider the Audi R8, a flagship car, a Halo car.

Fender CS or Murphy Labs, more a RS car. They are not in the same level, so to speak. Since there are more expensive Fenders and Gibsons above the £5k point, there are PLENTY of those.

A Private Stock is like a flagship car. When PRS first started, the Custom 24, is on the level of a Fender CS, actually, I believe Fender Custom Shop opened because of PRS’s level of quality. So Private Stock sits above Fender and Gibson CS, in both image and price.

• elstoofelstoof Frets: 2628
    That’s why I don’t get Fender
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3330
    They look nothing like beats on a proper ECG trace though! 
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1834
    They look nothing like beats on a proper ECG trace though! 
    Indeed. The lack of P waves is very disturbing 
  • UngulateUngulate Frets: 239
    Musical AF?
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3826
    When I first got into guitar (late eighties/early nineties) I thought they were really blingy, and didn't like all the stripey tops and fancy finishes. Plus they were always out of my price range. 
    First time I seen the standard satin (?) (the plain mahogany one) I really liked that. Still wouldn't have been able to afford one so forgot about it. 

Not in the market for new guitars now so guess I'll never know what I think about them.

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3826
    Funnily enough I don't actually mind the birds. As long as they're on an otherwise simple looking guitar.