PRS guitars

What's Hot

Comments

• CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1451
    edited July 2022
    The great thing about tFB is that it isn't mandatory to either read or contribute to any given thread.
    This.
    I really wish this was stickered at the top of this forum.
    It's ok to express opinions and viewpoints (preferably with reasoning).

personally - I've never felt the need to own a PRS.
    I've tried many ... and ... they've never worked for me. For some reason the body contour and neck never feel right - and I don't understand why anyone would put the pickup selector behind the bridge....soundwise I just hear a generic humbucker tone from 'em...
    The bird inlays don't bother me... the headstock is what it is (though I prefer tuners on one side - it just makes restringing so much easier...).

I dunno...maybe I haven't tried "the one"... either that or ... I've just got to accept I'm a Fender guy.

I'm certainly not going to try and convince PRS owner's they're wrong to like / own them. You do you. It's a personal thing. 

...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73437
    CaseOfAce said:

I don't understand why anyone would put the pickup selector behind the bridge...
    Because it's the perfect place... in fact the only truly good place.

For me! And presumably quite a lot of other people.

It's where you never hit it by accident no matter how vigorous/wild your strumming/flailing, but can always hit it on purpose between beats with the side of your hand when you want to change sound. Every other place fails on one or both those counts.

You obviously play differently from me, which is all good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1451
    edited July 2022
    ICBM said:
    CaseOfAce said:

I don't understand why anyone would put the pickup selector behind the bridge...

It's where you never hit it by accident no matter how vigorous/wild your strumming/flailing, but can always hit it on purpose between beats with the side of your hand when you want to change sound. Every other place fails on one or both those counts.

Pickup selector on a strat is just perfect... I'm strumming - it's flick down / up with hand between strums... it's seamless. Anything else is wasted motion / energy?!! 
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2022
    CaseOfAce said:

Pickup selector on a strat is just perfect... I'm strumming - it's flick down / up with hand between strums... it's seamless. Anything else is wasted motion / energy?!! 
    I constantly knock it out of position by accident. It’s not quite so bad on my Aria - it’s a little further down and back than a Fender - but PRS is still best :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2963
    Really don't get the "PRS have no mojo" thing. I've found those I've played to be really inspiring and easy to play, though I don't love the wide fat neck that's on a lot of them. Pattern regular on the S2 is where it's at. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7854
    I've just realised that I'd probably out myself in the "not a PRS person" camp - because the vast majority of them don't appeal but then when I think about it it's also true that I've owned 3, still own one, and that one (DGT, goldtop, dot inlays) will never ever leave. 

The other 2 were also very good - a McCarty that was fantastic (but I wanted dual volumes and Hasbro oaybfor a Labradoodle - those 2 things being unrelated) and McCarty P90 Goldtop that could have been anyone's main gigging guitar, but again I needed the cash and the DGT won out. 

The DGT needs a replacement tuner button (it's somehow disintegrating from the inside) - must sort that 
    Red ones are better. 
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4290
    TimmyO said:
    The DGT needs a replacement tuner button (it's somehow disintegrating from the inside) - must sort that 
    Is that a 2008-10 model? The earlier ones had this issue iirc, something to do with the brass inners either not being installed, or not being installed correctly. The Phase II tuners of this era are interchangeable with any Gotoh-mount tuner buttons. I have a full set of tortoise-shell keys that should work if you want them, gratis :)
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 512
    ICBM said:
    CaseOfAce said:

I constantly knock it out of position by accident. It’s not quite so bad on my Aria - it’s a little further down and back than a Fender - but PRS is still best :).
    I agree - I have a MM EVH since 92 and I end up keeping it on the bridge pu as it ends up there within 2 bars anyway so I’d be happy with one on the back of the headstock.  
    In reference to the OP, I have only played one semi PRS and wasn’t overly keen, but am sure that was not at all typical given how well they are regarded - I plan to not play another as it’s helping my GAS funds
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3435
    edited July 2022
    I think this is the thing. Lancia Delta Integrale Evo beats Audi RS2 coupe. In the same way that Gibson LP Jr beats PRS22. Soul vs competence. Marketing vs product.

Which car would you rather do a 4 wheel drift in? Which guitar would you rather blast out a few riffs on?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    edited July 2022
    NelsonP said:
    I think this is the thing. Lancia Delta Integrale Evo beats Audi RS2. In the same way that Gibson LP Jr beats PRS22. Soul vs competence. Marketing vs product.

Which car would you rather do a 4 wheel drift in? Which guitar would you rather blast out a few riffs on?
    No but  intelligent responses beats lazy trolling. Can't wait for your next topic 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1519
    owned a ce 24 for a few years, 2010-11 made and off the peg from a shop. At time of purchase, was a custom 24 without the aesthetics, so handmade usa, no birds etc. Left me uninspired, but a solid all round guitar nonetheless. 
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13079
    I don't care for the blingy ones but there's no denying they are excellent instruments. The less blingy ones are also terrific value. 

The "sterile" thing is total bollocks too and is based entirely on the fact that you just don't get beaten up PRS guitars so they don't have that psychosomatic "mojo". Guitarists don't half talk some shit sometimes. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1029
    I don't care for the blingy ones but there's no denying they are excellent instruments. The less blingy ones are also terrific value. 

The "sterile" thing is total bollocks too and is based entirely on the fact that you just don't get beaten up PRS guitars so they don't have that psychosomatic "mojo". Guitarists don't half talk some shit sometimes. 
    I wonder how long it will be before PRS do a Relic range of guitars?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24091
    duotone said:

They could just offer more guitars with satin nitro finishes.  They get aged/worn pretty quickly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    duotone said:

Hopefully never. Paul doesn’t like them. Though he has been known to change his mind...

Mine have all been used and have minor wear and damage, I don’t do it deliberately, but it doesn’t bother me - I tend to touch up dings that are down to the wood, but not to the point of trying jo make it perfect, just less obvious.

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2963
    edited July 2022
    My only issue with PRS is the lack of hardtail double cut Standard models, I think there's only the Paul's Guitar in the SE range and nothing in the S2 other than the Vela or the overpriced (imo) McCarty 594. I know trems can be blocked, I'd just rather do without the hassle.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3732
     Guitarists don't half talk some shit sometimes. 
    Just sometimes?

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14964
    tFB Trader
    TimmyO said:
    Is that a 2008-10 model? The earlier ones had this issue iirc, something to do with the brass inners either not being installed, or not being installed correctly. The Phase II tuners of this era are interchangeable with any Gotoh-mount tuner buttons. I have a full set of tortoise-shell keys that should work if you want them, gratis :)
    I recall such issues at the time - can't recall the last time it came up as an issue
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7854
    TimmyO said:
    I recall such issues at the time - can't recall the last time it came up as an issue
    Yes mine is pretty old - I'm not making any kind of point or anything - I was just thinking aloud what a dweeb I am for not getting around to sourcing a replacement tuner button. I think I started once then realised there were a few different kinds depending on the year of the guitar and ended up not ordering anything 
    Red ones are better. 
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 645
    CaseOfAce said:
    ICBM said:
    CaseOfAce said:

If my CU22 had the selector in the Strat position it would be perfect. It's the blade version and as it is I have to reach over the wobble stick so have resorted to removing that and blocking the trem off.