PRS guitars

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBM said:
    The long heel on the 22-fret models was introduced to remove the dead spot at the 12th fret which often afflicts the 24-fretters. Personally, I don’t notice it at all - it’s certainly less obtrusive than the Strat or Tele heel, let alone a Les Paul, but I can play all of them up to the 22nd fret just fine, on the rare occasions I need to.

A friend of mine has the SE Paul’s Guitar. It’s… OK. Not in the same league as the (admittedly more expensive) US models. Hard to put a finger on exactly why, but it just feels and sounds like a cheap Korean guitar. He also has a US 594 (I think) which is far better - although it should be, at nearly four times the price.
    The dead spot issue is strange and seems to persist post the heel enlargement, although perhaps to a lesser extent. I’ve played two 594s that both had dead spots, particularly on the 12th fret b string and 9th fret high e. It was immediately obvious in a way I’ve never experienced with any other guitar. Kind of put a dent in the whole aura of PRS as super engineered “perfect” guitars. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24091
    edited July 2022
    chris78 said:
    DrJazzTap said:
    The whole shelf queen perfect PRS thing does nark me off. They are instruments to be played. I have a small dent in my ce24 semi hollow and that does annoy me. Because I caused it through carelessness.

My DGT has a few chips and scratches but that's part of its character 
    It’s pisses Paul off too. Private stock now offer a more traditional nitro finish that’s designed to wear and relic like an old Gibson or fender. I’d love it if they put that on core models
    They do now use some kind of "nitrocellulose over CAB (catalyzed acrylic)" finish on, I think, all US models, core and S2.  They started using it in 2019, and used it on everything since 2020.

I've got a couple of S2s with that finish and it does feel slightly less perfect, slightly more Gibsony - you can see it sinking into the grain a little in certain spots.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5856
    Never heard of the dead spot issue before, what's that all about then?

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3330
    swiller said:
    owned a ce 24 for a few years, 2010-11 made and off the peg from a shop. At time of purchase, was a custom 24 without the aesthetics, so handmade usa, no birds etc. Left me uninspired, but a solid all round guitar nonetheless. 
    And a bolt on neck.......
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24902
    edited July 2022
    Haych said:
    Early ‘short-heel’ 24 fret guitars were notorious for it. Around the octave on the G string and 8th/9th fret on the B, notes had very little sustain. For people who play clean or mildly driven sounds (like me) it was a real problem.

It varied in severity from one instrument to the next but I’ve never played one from that era that didn’t suffer from it at all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I've mostly owned 22-fret PRS guitars, apart from a couple of 24-fret Miras.  Can't say I've ever noticed an obvious dead spot, but let's be honest I probably haven't played some of them enough to find the dead spots.  The "deadest" dead spot I ever had on a guitar was on a Music Man Axis Sport.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14964
    edited July 2022 tFB Trader
    Haych said:
    Early ‘short-heel’ 24 fret guitars were notorious for it. Around the octave on the G string and 8th/9th fret on the B, notes had very little sustain. For people who play clean or mildly driven sounds (like me) it was a real problem.

It varied in severity from one instrument to the next but I’ve never played one from that era that didn’t suffer from it at all.
    It does appear to be on an ad-hoc basis - I've known it some but not others - First time I came across it, I dare say in the early 90's, so no forums then for help, it had me pulling my hair out to try and resolve - Maybe a fret buzz issue - Raised the action, stupidly high to eliminate this as an option, but still there - Change the string - No joy - Swap the saddle over as maybe some burr or not seating correctly - No joy - It sound just like a 'bum' note

As you say it was more of an issue with less gain/clean amp settings - Hi Gain thru' a Boogie, which was the 'format' of the day and not really noticeable

I might be wrong on this but don't think Paul has ever admitted to it as an issue and makes out the change in the heel was nothing to do it 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4425
    They make great gig bags

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3732
    What we need are more people not liking PRS guitars.  Last week I was gigging my SE Hollowbody II which I picked up at New Year from @CountryDave and which had already been through at least one other pair of hands before finding a home with me.  It sounded glorious.  This coming Saturday I'll probably gig with my Silver Sky which was 'as new' courtesy of @PC_Dave last September (and which now looks properly played to death  =)).  If I don't use the Silver Sky then it will most likely be my S2 Semihollow as my back is playing up and the Studio 22 Core is a bit heavy.

If anybody feels burdened with a PRS then please, don't suffer in silence.  The MusicWolf PRS Rescue Service is here and we never destroy a healthy PRS.  If you'd like to support the Rescue Service you can make a cash donation through the usual channels.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 870
    I've owned a few PRS over the last 30 years. Owned a very nice '89 Custom from 1991 until it went to a fellow FB member a few years ago. A couple of other Customs, 24 and 22 fret, trem and hardtails. Played a few S2's and Silver Sky's of both levels and owned a few SE's.
    One thing that stood out above all the other guitars I've owned is the quality level and playability. 
    I don't currently own one, but that is mainly down to the fact I prefer single coils to humbuckers and am also consciously downsizing the number of guitars I own.
    Would I buy another? Absolutely, if the need arose and I'd be confident that it would be as good as any I've tried.
    I keep pondering a Silver Sky SE, but my roadworn strat covers those needs and my telecasters cover everything else.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited July 2022
    I’ve owned five PRS guitars. I still have a Custom 22 which is a fine guitar. Aside from the pickups being a bit non descript on the earlier ones. I can’t fault them as instruments. 
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9705

Haych said:
    As I recall, the V12 finish that they started using a while ago, isn't very durable.
    That’s not my experience. I’ve not even scratched by gigging 509, whereas on a nitro finish, it’s a different story. 

Philly_Q said:
    They do now use some kind of "nitrocellulose over CAB (catalyzed acrylic)" finish on, I think, all US models, core and S2.  They started using it in 2019, and used it on everything since 2020.

I've got a couple of S2s with that finish and it does feel slightly less perfect, slightly more Gibsony - you can see it sinking into the grain a little in certain spots.
    Yup and it’s a bit more sticky when new but different from the private stock stuff which is 100% nitro and there are 2 different varieties. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29369
    I tried a couple and wasn't impressed. The I tried one of the charcoal satin ones and was very impressed indeed. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3880
    Haych said:
    chris78 said:
    DrJazzTap said:
    The whole shelf queen perfect PRS thing does nark me off. They are instruments to be played. I have a small dent in my ce24 semi hollow and that does annoy me. Because I caused it through carelessness.

It’s pisses Paul off too. Private stock now offer a more traditional nitro finish that’s designed to wear and relic like an old Gibson or fender. I’d love it if they put that on core models
    As I recall, the V12 finish that they started using a while ago, isn't very durable.
    My only experience of this was one where it was flaking along the fretboard.  Pretty much exactly where I wouldn't want it to.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5856
    Haych said:
    chris78 said:
    DrJazzTap said:

My only experience of this was one where it was flaking along the fretboard.  Pretty much exactly where I wouldn't want it to.
    Interesting.  I'd heard others say that the V12 finish wasn't particularly durable, and my own experience with it was that it would chip very easily.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1834
    I went out guitar shopping a couple of weeks ago looking for a cheap guitar with a wiggle stick for messing around with and maybe modding down the road. I thought I'd probably get a Wolfgang standard, or Fender Player, or a Jackson of some sort but was open to trying anything.

I ended up with a PRS SE Tremonti Standard as it felt the nicest to play and even the stock pickups sound okay. Seems excellent value for money, and the only thing I can really take issue with is the nut feels a bit plasticky.

I wasn't a PRS fan or a hater. I am aware that Alter Bridge exist but have never really listened to them. I fully appreciate it's perhaps a guitar that might be viewed as perverse by some, but I'm more than happy with my own kinks.

So... Yeah... My name is Flying Pie and I own a PRS. It's been 12 hours since I last played it...
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 645
    edited July 2022
    I actually like the birds and an interesting top, but I really don't like the eagle on the private stock models to the point that if I could ever afford one (lottery win excluded that's not going to happen ) I would specify no eagle.
    Contrasted with Gibson, dots, trapezoids and parallelogram inlays get a thumbs up, as does solid colours and flame, but the supposedly more luxurious blocks (of any size and on any model) are a total no.

normula1 said:
    I actually like the birds and an interesting top, but I really don't like the eagle on the private stock models to the point that if I could ever afford one (lottery win excluded that's not going to happen ) I would specify no eagle.

I agree!  I really dislike the Private Stock eagle.  I would ask for the normal PRS signature logo if I bought a PS model.
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3397
    normula1 said:
    Contrasted with Gibson, dots, trapezoids and parallelogram inlays get a thumbs up, as does solid colours and flame, but the supposedly more luxurious blocks (of any size and on any model) are a total no.

Quite like the Collings parallelograms:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 968
    The heartbeat inlays on the Nita Straus Ibanez are the coolest inlays ever

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom