Not looking good for Queenie

What's Hot

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6327
    AsterixTG said:
    merlin said:
    or embarrassed the country (unlike some of her offspring)
    And her late neanderthal husband.
    A fine man.

Except for the infidelity and racism?

In any case, she has been a great person in a flawed position.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29304
    goldtop said:
    AsterixTG said:
    merlin said:

A fine man.

Obvious troll is obvious. See also the bit about winding up idiots. School book/playground stuff. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15935
    edited September 2022
    Sporky said:
    goldtop said:
    AsterixTG said:
    merlin said:

A fine man.

Obvious troll is obvious. See also the bit about winding up idiots. School book/playground stuff. 
    yup. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17997
    tFB Trader
    I think I'd echo some of the sentiments expressed on here and say I have a massive amount of personal respect for her, but not for the monarchy in general. 

I hope she makes a full recovery, but if she doesn't then I would support the role of the monarchy being substantially reduced in scope.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • doesn't bode well does it.... it cant be coincidence that Harry/Meghan are in the country for PR reasons..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    goldtop said:
    AsterixTG said:
    merlin said:

A fine man.

Winding up idiots by using racist tropes he didn't believe is a level of satire well beyond anything that leech was capable of. (But I'll desist as I can see people are getting emotional.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm agreeing with virtually all of what's been said ... the one reliable, implacable, exemplary human to have endured the myriad changes in the world with dignity, throughout my whole life.

I don't believe there is a Royal Family any more, only a notional reference to such and I'm not a Royal-loyal at all ... it is wee Lizzy that the world looks up to and respects and always has. I can't think of any other titular head that is on the same footing.

The UK has already shafted itself economically, socially and politically ... fuck knows how we'll be with Chuck 3 in the big hoose ... I suspect he's got more dodgy deal monies to be declared somewhere ... it's not an auspicious prospect.

Anyway, hope the process of PM changeover hasn't been too much and isn't the final straw for Queenie.

stufisher said:
    I'm agreeing with virtually all of what's been said ... the one reliable, implacable, exemplary human to have endured the myriad changes in the world with dignity, throughout my whole life.

I don't believe there is a Royal Family any more, only a notional reference to such and I'm not a Royal-loyal at all ... it is wee Lizzy that the world looks up to and respects and always has. I can't think of any other titular head that is on the same footing.

This is true. Everything that now seems good about the Royal Family is really due to her hard work in the job.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11477
    edited September 2022
    She has done a fantastic job for 30+ years beyond retirememt age.

When Charles takes over the whole thing will have to be re-thought. Other than Anne most of the rest of them have done little to progress the monarchy and if it goes their names will ne on the charge sheet. 

But what do you replace it with? More grubby presidential politics?

Always keep tight hold of nurse 
    For fear of finding something worse. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28166
    doesn't bode well does it.... it cant be coincidence that Harry/Meghan are in the country for PR reasons..
    Personal Reward?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • My opinion of the monarchy and the royal family are very separate to my opinion of Elizabeth herself, and I would say it's best they are kept that way. She has done well despite the odds of such a draconian organisation. She will be a huge loss, though unfortunately the fact she has done so well will probably prevent any sensible conversations happening about the future of the monarchy when she does sadly pass away.

With Harry and Meghan, I know they are a bit annoying but I very much respected their decision to walk away to start with, I thought it was a very positive thing to do. That said, who'd have thought that such a outdated and frankly obscene concept of an organisation based on heredity privilege would lead to people brought up entirely within it, but largely without any importance, would become self centred and spoilt?

The queen is an example of how to avoid that fate, I can't think of any others in there that I would say the same about. 
    Taking part in 1000 Lights - raising money for Uprawr Mental Health Foundation
    https://www.justgiving.com/page/pianomatt-1000lights
  • I love the Queen , but not her Children 
    “Ken sent me.”
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5261
    weirdly, just had a blanket email from the mag I write for suggesting it is best to leave the "hilarious" and snide comments about the queen to others for a while. 
  • Would be a fitting tribute to retire the throne 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32125
    randella said:
    Got a lot of time for her majesty and I’m not a huge royalist , I just think she’s someone who took her responsibilities very seriously, put in a great shift and never let us down or embarrassed the country (unlike some of her offspring)
    I feel there's a difference between being anti-monarchy and anti-queen. I'm vehemently against the institution itself, it should have gone out with the Ark. I've a good deal of respect for QEII as a human though.

As soon as Charles gets his fizzog on the five-pound note, I feel we'll all start to realise just how big a shift she put in.
    Rubbish, all she's done is wave and appear on stamps, keeping her mouth shut is her "crowning" achievement. 

Charles will speak out against injustice and against the fossil fuels lobby, and will be a thorn in the side of the Tory party to the detriment of both them and the monarchy as an institution.

Fucking bring it on I say. 
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6211
    Got a lot of time for her majesty and I’m not a huge royalist , I just think she’s someone who took her responsibilities very seriously, put in a great shift and never let us down or embarrassed the country (unlike some of her offspring)

Same here, royalist or not, there's no denying all the good she's done, she over saw the largest decolonisation project in history - the break up of the British Empire, and managed to do it far far more peacefully than any other Empire in history at the end of it's days.
    I’m ambivalent about the monarchy but have huge respect for the Queen. I’m most impressed by her sticking to the promise she made to serve the country. She stuck to her vow through thick and thin, weathering a lot of storms which would have made a lesser person walk away, or at least think ‘f**k it, they don’t deserve it’. Her passing could be a crisis point for the country - she’s always been there for most of us - how the change to Charles will go is anybody’s guess.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12692
    I'm already fed up with that obsequious little toe-rag Witchell giving his groveling appraisal of the current situation.  Prince Wingnut doesn't get a lot right, but when he described Witchell as 'ghastly' he got it spot on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I think Charles will be so happy to finally get his bum on the throne after all these years that he'll be less pushy than expected.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWynd said:

Same here, royalist or not, there's no denying all the good she's done, she over saw the largest decolonisation project in history - the break up of the British Empire, and managed to do it far far more peacefully than any other Empire in history at the end of it's days.
    I’m ambivalent about the monarchy but have huge respect for the Queen. I’m most impressed by her sticking to the promise she made to serve the country. She stuck to her vow through thick and thin, weathering a lot of storms which would have made a lesser person walk away, or at least think ‘f**k it, they don’t deserve it’. Her passing could be a crisis point for the country - she’s always been there for most of us - how the change to Charles will go is anybody’s guess.

I honestly don't think Charles will last long on the throne, I think he'll ascend to the throne to satisfy the ''old school crowd'' and quietly step aside very fast for William to be seen more, have more responsibilities, and basically oversee the day to day duties, in other words he'll be king in name only and William will do all the ''work'' or at least the most visual and publicly visible stuff, before he abdicates after a few years on the throne, stepping aside for William.  Big ears, unlike his mother and her mother, isn't popular enough with the masses in my opinion.  But who knows I could be wrong.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom