Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best looking car ever made

What's Hot

Comments

• HaychHaych Frets: 5787
    DB1 said:
    I'd also suggest the humble MGB GT as a fine looking piece of design for the masses (well, me).

Wasn't the Gilbern, mentioned above, largely based on MGB running gear?

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Dad had one of these once upon a time, the TR6 was nicer looking, IMHO but the TR4 wasn't ugly, his had wire wheels with great big lug nuts.  Goodness knows what everyone at Triumph were smoking when they came up with the TR7!

• DB1DB1 Frets: 5031
    Haych said:
    DB1 said:
    I'd also suggest the humble MGB GT as a fine looking piece of design for the masses (well, me).

Wasn't the Gilbern, mentioned above, largely based on MGB running gear?

There were MGB elements for sure, but I don't know if there was too much of the running gear in there. I think the earlier GT ran a MGA/B engine.
    Call me Dave.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16293
    Haych said:
    Dad had one of these once upon a time, the TR6 was nicer looking, IMHO but the TR4 wasn't ugly, his had wire wheels with great big lug nuts.  Goodness knows what everyone at Triumph were smoking when they came up with the TR7!

I think there was a 4A also
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12514

@offset ; At last a MK2 Cortina! I couldn't find a link to a nice one that wasn't a for sale Ad.
    Also, sorry to hear about the Fiat, you must have had one of the 3 they imported**. I don't think I've ever seen one.

** actually no idea how many they imported.
    It wasn't actually mine - 18 year-old me was parking it for my summer-job boss who owned it.  I wasn't there long :-)

I've seen a few over the years.  But they weren't commonplace, that's for sure.  Google tells me only 4,491 were made in total and 'a handful' were imported into the UK.
    edited December 2022
    I had these  (not the actual cars shown)- a 635CSi Highline, 840CSi and a few of the E38 &40i's. The 635 was Lachs Silver but the 840 and 740 were a darkish blue - I can't remember the name of the colour, but it's the same as the 7 Series in the pic. Lovely things in their different ways, although the 840 went a bit wrong at the rear pillar from the front  three-quarter angle IMO.  I think the 635's have easily quadrupled in price now.

Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2022
    Dominic said:
    Haych said:

Yes there was - dad's was a TR4a, not much visual difference, I believe it was mostly chassis and rear suspension redesign, the 4a had independent rear suspension rather than a live axle.

In fact, I hate this thread, because it's rekindled a 'want' for cars again. Being an obsessive, I've had over 120 cars. I thought that I'd put that behind me about 5 years ago, when I gave them up and became obsessive about guitars - since then I've had over 200 guitars. I mentioned to Mrs DB1 that I was starting to have an interest in cars again, and she looked slightly depressed.

I was 'restoring' three 1972 BMW E3's about five years ago and it got to the point where I was pouring money into them at an alarming rate. Well, I say 'I' was restoring them, I was paying  a garage and I think they saw me as a soft touch. They were right, to be fair. So, for five years, I've had no interest in cars. I sold all of the E3's. Now I'm interested again. Thanks a fecking bunch everybody.  :#

The E3 - not everybody's cup of tea, but I do like old square German cars.

Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6308
    Are we doing "also ran" now? There's a lot of rather average looking automobilia turning up. ;)

Back to 'best looking', another genuine contender, the Berlinetta Boxer:

Yours for just £395,000

https://www.realcar.co.uk/view-cars/2516
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Dominic said:
    Haych said:

It may have surprised you that I knew about the 4a ,,,,,,,,,,,
    For those that read my post about being at a miserable boarding school in the 60s and 70s and why I was ultimately expelled age 15 for nicking a teacher's car and driving it to the local pub with 2 other boys 
    ........well,it was the very same car .......a TR4A  for which I had been given the punishment of valeting !
    I like to do things in style !
    Handsome car as well. If you're going to steal one, it might as well be a purty one.
    Call me Dave.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    DB1 said:
    In fact, I hate this thread, because it's rekindled a 'want' for cars again. Being an obsessive, I've had over 120 cars. I thought that I'd put that behind me about 5 years ago, when I gave them up and became obsessive about guitars - since then I've had over 200 guitars. I mentioned to Mrs DB1 that I was starting to have an interest in cars again, and she looked slightly depressed.

I was 'restoring' three 1972 BMW E3's about five years ago and it got to the point where I was pouring money into them at an alarming rate. Well, I say 'I' was restoring them, I was paying  a garage and I think they saw me as a soft touch. They were right, to be fair. So, for five years, I've had no interest in cars. I sold all of the E3's. Now I'm interested again. Thanks a fecking bunch everybody.  :#

The E3 - not everybody's cup of tea, but I do like old square German cars.

2002 Tii was a nice car. A mate of mine used to drive a pseudo race version on the road. 

goldtop said:
    Are we doing "also ran" now? There's a lot of rather average looking automobilia turning up. ;)

Back to 'best looking', another genuine contender, the Berlinetta Boxer:

Yours for just £395,000

https://www.realcar.co.uk/view-cars/2516
    A far more desirable car than the 512BBi which was it's later incarnation
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    have we had the GT40 yet ?  
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24691
    Unfortunately not.  I don't think much of any of the cars so far other than a couple of Ferraris - and the green Veloster of course!
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1844
    Emp_Fab said:
    Unfortunately not.  I don't think much of any of the cars so far other than a couple of Ferraris - and the green Veloster of course!
    Why don’t you suggest something then?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffa said:
    Emp_Fab said:

I'm guessing this, it's pimped out with a flame paint job

• CE1CE1 Frets: 567
    Dominic said:
    Dominic said:
    Haych said:

It may have surprised you that I knew about the 4a ,,,,,,,,,,,
    For those that read my post about being at a miserable boarding school in the 60s and 70s and why I was ultimately expelled age 15 for nicking a teacher's car and driving it to the local pub with 2 other boys 
    ........well,it was the very same car .......a TR4A  for which I had been given the punishment of valeting !
    I like to do things in style !
    When I was a mere 18 and these were ‘bangers’ I thrashed the living daylights out of one my mate’s Dad owned. It was a surprisingly good drive and compared very nicely to my 2.0GL Capri. That front end is gorgeous but the rear end leaves a little to be desired.
    the_jaffa said:
    Emp_Fab said:

I have a soft spot for the Pacer
    I see a great similarity with the early Subaru WRX Rally Hatchback of circa 2000
  • Dominic said:
    the_jaffa said:
    Emp_Fab said:

I have a soft spot for the Pacer
    I see a great similarity with the early Subaru WRX Rally Hatchback of circa 2000

It's a Gremlin, and surprisingly worth £15k nowadays.