Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best looking car ever made

What's Hot

Comments

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited December 2022
    Dominic said:
    Paul_C said:

httpsstaticcarguruscomimagessite2014102819121973_datsun_240z-pic-8794176530983479500-640x480jpeg

My girlfriend's mother had a 240z  back in 1981 . I got the opportunity to drive it many times from London to Beaulieu in the New Forest where they had a cottage . I used to love driving it and enjoyed every one of those 100 miles .....In my mind it was my iconic car ...the Ferrari Daytona which I'm sure is what it was modelled on.

Have you seen what they’re fetching these days? I sold mine for just over a grand in 1984, but I’ve spotted them up in the £60 - £70K mark these days. I’m guessing that’ll be the rarity value because so many of them simply rusted away to nothing.

That one in the link has the wrong wheels, access panel mods and lack the rear boot spoiler. If they want to sell it, they’d better post up some photos of the underside!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5787
    Dominic said:
    Paul_C said:

httpsstaticcarguruscomimagessite2014102819121973_datsun_240z-pic-8794176530983479500-640x480jpeg

My girlfriend's mother had a 240z  back in 1981 . I got the opportunity to drive it many times from London to Beaulieu in the New Forest where they had a cottage . I used to love driving it and enjoyed every one of those 100 miles .....In my mind it was my iconic car ...the Ferrari Daytona which I'm sure is what it was modelled on.

Have you seen what they’re fetching these days? I sold mine for just over a grand in 1984, but I’ve spotted them up in the £60 - £70K mark these days. I’m guessing that’ll be the rarity value because so many of them simply rusted away to nothing.

That one in the link has the wrong wheels, access panel mods and lack the rear boot spoiler. If they want to sell it, they’d better post up some photos of the underside!
    A friend of my dad had one. He parked it over a drain and shut the door a bit hard and never saw it again. 

That one in the link is a left hooker too. Maybe when I retire abroad somewhere warm and sunny……..

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6308
    Sporky said:
    The 240Z is much better looking than the Daytona, which looks like a time-machine caused a collision between a Rover SD1 and a Stingray. 
    Even Panther's attempts to make the Daytona more interesting went a bit ... wonky:

https://www.supercars.net/blog/1975-ferrari-365-gtb4-shooting-brake/
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12514
    Sporky said:
    The 240Z is much better looking than the Daytona, which looks like a time-machine caused a collision between a Rover SD1 and a Stingray. 
    I agree, but then again classic Ferraris do nothing for me.  The 240Z is still a great looking car; my childhood next door neighbour's son had one in that rather odd olive drab green.  I thought it was the coolest car on the planet.

Daytona?  Nah.  The spyder was less fugly than the coupe and as I recall, at one time held the record for the most expensive car ever sold.  But the coupe looks like British Leyland's attempt to update the Rover SD1.

FERRARI 365 GTB4 Daytona for sale
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The Rover SD1 was inspired partially by the Daytona, I seem to recall?  Seems they took an ugly car and made it look worse.

The Datsun looks far more desirable than the Ferrari, and probably a lot easier to live with.  That said, if somebody gave me a Daytona, I wouldn't turn it down.  But I'd immediately sell it, buy the Datsun and pocket the change.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29165
    Also the Daytona had a big problem with the rear wheels not touching the ground, as you can see in that photo. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16293
    edited December 2022
    I have always loved them........was lucky enough to have a drive of one back in the early 80s and the surge from the V12 was something unearthly in those days ......the Convertible was my teenage poster car and the only reason I was talked into going to see Kris Kristoffersen  in ' A Star is born ' .
    In fairness,you have posted a car in a terrible colour and from a bad angle .......it does look so much better in red .
    During my yoof, this was the car I lusted after.  It's not especially pretty, but there's something about it which I still love today.

While I'd still like one, it's no longer a bucket list thing, I think I'd probably enjoy the process of building one than owning or driving it.

• OffsetOffset Frets: 12514
    I think it was mentioned in passing earlier - but any love for the Alfa Montreal?

Alfa Romeo Montreal 1975
    edited December 2022
    This was my first car - well, not this actual car, but one very similar to it.  A MK1 facelift VW Scirocco GTi.  A bit of an enigma, from certain angles they look very, very pretty, from others they look quite ugly.  At any angle they looked better than the Golf, though.

It was chuffing quick too.  My best mate at the time splashed out on a Rover 820 Turbo and was rather mortified to find out that my £60 banger could keep up with his £5k bank loan until about 70mph, when the Rover just stretched its legs and disappeared into the distance.

I didn't mind, at anything over 60 you were taking your life into your own hands - let's just say it was held together with filler, dodgy welds and hope.  I sold it to a guy in Monmouth for about £400 in about 1996/7.  A well sorted example is worth quite a lot of money these days - oh to have a crystal ball.

• CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3264
    edited December 2022
    Sporky said:
    Still have yet to see a car posted that I would both keep and drive if I was given it for free, the gull wing included as cool as it is.
    What would your suggestion be? 

It was this:

No contest:

I've mentioned earlier in the thread that I've driven a few of the cars mentioned, though not the one I posted, I've even owned a car that I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned or a variant of it, a 944.  And barr a very few exceptions, that most people would call sacrilege - basically original body and panels subtly modified to fit a modern chassis, modern engine, trany, gear box, breaks, steering......, have not only been terrible to drive, but bloody expensive to own, and a hell of a lot of hassle, they spend a hell of a lot more time in garages compared to how much road time they see.  It's the same if not worse with modern super cars, the cars are actually easier to buy than the parts and skills needed to maintain them - with modern super cars a lot of them have to be sent back to the factory that built them for repairs, even servicing.

Paul_C said:

I had the option of buying one of these in gold with black stripes, instead of the 944 I bought. 
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8601
    edited December 2022
    Offset said:
    I think it was mentioned in passing earlier - but any love for the Alfa Montreal?

Alfa Romeo Montreal 1975
    My dad was a massive Alfa fan boy. He had a number of 1750 GTVs, Alfa Sud sprints, GTV6 and a couple of Montreals. 

I remember a bit of a race on the M1 when I was about eight. My dad, mum and brother and me in the Montreal and my grandad in an E Type. I think we touched about 145 on the speedometer, my grandad  couldn't keep up in the E type.

My mum had a '66 or '67 Giulia SS, it was held together with Gaffer tape, the rear window kept falling out. I think good examples can easily get into 7 figures these days.
    Both Alpine A110s. I'd rather have the new one, but I'd love a go in an original.

I've always liked the Montreal
    the modern Giulia and Quadrifoglio can be had in a colour called Montreal Green which was the default colour of them back in the 70s
    there was definitely something a little bit American / Mustang about it IN FACT it was incredibly similar to the DE Tomaso Mangusta ........before you scoff remember that this was an era of brief romance between American and Italian Manufacture and design ....an era that gave birth to the ;
    Lambo Espada 
    De Tomaso (3 models inc 3 incarnations of Pantera ) Longchamps ,Deaville and the Montreal like Mangusta ,
    Iso Griffo........possibly one of THE BEST LOOKERS OF ALL TIME 
    Iso Rivolta
    Iso Lele
    Iso Fidia
    Bizarrini GT and the p series (fantastic looking car)
    Momo Mirage 

there were loads of collaborative cars.....mainly Italian design bodies/chassis and big US V8 engines ...Chevrolet had the biggest input ......they put the grunt into the Bizarini Stradale which was a storming fast car

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8601
    Dominic said:
    I've always liked the Montreal
    the modern Giulia and Quadrifoglio can be had in a colour called Montreal Green which was the default colour of them back in the 70s
    there was definitely something a little bit American / Mustang about it IN FACT it was incredibly similar to the DE Tomaso Mangusta ........before you scoff remember that this was an era of brief romance between American and Italian Manufacture and design ....an era that gave birth to the ;
    Lambo Espada 
    De Tomaso (3 models inc 3 incarnations of Pantera ) Longchamps ,Deaville and the Montreal like Mangusta ,
    Iso Griffo........possibly one of THE BEST LOOKERS OF ALL TIME 
    Iso Rivolta
    Iso Lele
    Iso Fidia
    Bizarrini GT and the p series (fantastic looking car)
    Momo Mirage 

there were loads of collaborative cars.....mainly Italian design bodies/chassis and big US V8 engines ...Chevrolet had the biggest input ......they put the grunt into the Bizarini Stradale which was a storming fast car

Absolutely. Nothing wrong with a marriage of Italian style and a big lump of Detroit iron.
    The opposite is good too - Lamborghini rebuilt the Dodge Viper engine for them. 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Sporky said:
    Both Alpine A110s. I'd rather have the new one, but I'd love a go in an original.

You’re gonna hate me but……I’ve been in a mate’s A110. He used to sprint/hillclimb it until he realised how valuable it was, and sold it.

I've driven one on a Hill Climb .....my friend had one and a Gilburn Invader which was fully rally prepped
    I've got two. Though one is a Hot Wheels one.