Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best looking car ever made

What's Hot

Comments

• One of the sexiest cars I remember seeing was the white James bond esprit. That blew my mind as a kid. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't understand the E-type obsession from boomers. It's nice, obviously, but it's also basically just a bar of soap with inset wheels, yet "best looking car ever" gets repeated like a cult mantra

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    You can all stand down now -

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8601
    I don't understand the E-type obsession from boomers. It's nice, obviously, but it's also basically just a bar of soap with inset wheels, yet "best looking car ever" gets repeated like a cult mantra

Well it wowed everyone at the Geneva 61 motor show. Half the price of an Aston or Ferrari and a (claimed) 150 mph top speed. Even Enzo Ferrari reportedly called it "the most beautiful car in the world."

I suppose it's stuck in the public's imagination ever since. 

It is effing awesome as well!

What soap do you use?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16293
    You can all stand down now -

Yes a beautiful thing but would be better in red
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5640
    I don't understand the E-type obsession from boomers. It's nice, obviously, but it's also basically just a bar of soap with inset wheels, yet "best looking car ever" gets repeated like a cult mantra

They are beautiful cars but, as you say, it's very much a boomer thing. One truism about the classic car market is that people buy the cars they lusted after when they were kids, so as the boomers die off, cars like the E-Type are likely to fall in value due to a diminishing market.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29165
    I sort-of get the E-type thing, but they'd look a lot better with the wheels less inboard. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5031
    DB1 said:

My old M5 - when I sold it, I had trouble getting £6500 for it from a dealer. I last saw it advertised at £50,000. 
    By Essex recording studios?

Seems to be the going rate.

Call me Dave.
  • CE1CE1 Frets: 567

Hard tops are ugly in my opinion, proportions are wrong. Convertibles are good looking but not the best looking thing by a long way. What is glorious is the driver position and view down that bonnet. The noise is perfect, rough enough to suggest muscle but refined enough to not seem as if it will fall apart any second. The sad thing is that most are driven by ‘collectors’ now which is sad as they really need to be ragged to come alive. I have been lucky to have a brother and very good friend with one so had continual access over 30 years with none of the eye watering expense they can drop on owners.

I do think it’s an age thing though (my brother is 12 years older than me). At 50 I remember them being ‘bangers in the 70s when it was cars like Esprit’s that were super cool.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73068
    Sporky said:
    I sort-of get the E-type thing, but they'd look a lot better with the wheels less inboard. 
    And handle better. Or maybe just with much wider wheels/tyres.

I know someone who owns one - apparently they’re really quite dangerous for anyone used to modern car handling unless you’re just pootling around.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    edited December 2022
    ICBM said:
    Sporky said:

I know someone who owns one - apparently they’re really quite dangerous for anyone used to modern car handling unless you’re just pootling around.

I think that's why that eagle (?) thing looks good. Wider modern wheels and lower suspension. 

I'm generally not that keen on bigger rear wheels. The porche isn't too bad with the big arches.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7922
    ICBM said:
    Sporky said:

I can imagine, I briefly drove a short wheelbase Mustang - r/h drive, Wolfrace wheels and 5l V8 - it was like being in a speedboat.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6832
    Sorry everyone, it has to be this;

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8601
    ICBM said:
    Sporky said:

Don't they have a reputation for taking off above about 120mph?
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12514
    This was always more my thing than the E-Type.

Lot 261 - 1976  12947 D-Type Long Nose by RAM Engineering
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Paul_C said:

I can imagine, I briefly drove a short wheelbase Mustang - r/h drive, Wolfrace wheels and 5l V8 - it was like being in a speedboat.
    Hark at Mr I-won-Bullseye! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Just realised i posted this but didn’t mention what it was.  This is my uncles Jowett Jupiter.  Bradfords finest, from around 1953.  Was my dads originally from about 1965, my uncle has had it since about 1970.  He also has a Jowett Javelin and Ford Pilot V8.
    Not the nicest looking car ever but pretty classic and has a certain charm.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2389
    edited December 2022
    Aston Martin DB5 V8

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2389

Mercedes-Benz 220 SE b Convertible ( W 111) 1963

Mercedes-Benz 220 SE b - Mercedes-Benz 220 SE b Convertible  W 111 1963

Mercedes-Benz 220 SE b - Mercedes-Benz 220 SE b Convertible  W 111 1963
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom