Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best looking car ever made

What's Hot

Comments

• GuyRGuyR Frets: 1361
    This gets my vote. Mercedes 300 SLR coupe. Only 2 built, both retained by the factory since 1955.
     One, the less significant one, has recently sold for a fairly punchy £11500000.
    https://i.imgur.com/g50NQrx.png
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5640
    GuyR said:
    This gets my vote. Mercedes 300 SLR coupe. Only 2 built, both retained by the factory since 1955.
    The regular production 300SL is a much better-looking car, no?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16295
    I had a '73 RS identical to the above ,white but the carrera logo and stripe were red , red Fuchs alloys and red interior .
    Sold it for £14000 many years ago .
    If I only knew what I know now 
  • Just before this TV aired in 2009, I was walking past a high-end car showroom in Chelsea(ish) and there was one of these in the window. It turned my head and made me stop and drool.

I went into the showroom and explained that it was the most beautiful motor I'd ever seen and asked if I could just spend a few minutes marvelling at it and caressing it's curves ... sure, no problem, was the response.

No other punters were there and I was able to enjoy a quarter hour browse and self-indulgence without pesterment, in a room full of horses, bulls, tridents and this immaculate conception.

Never before or since have I felt the need to do such a thing ... probably never will again in future.

When Top Gear did a feature on it I was consumed. I know Clarkson is out of favour and divisive but he got this one spot on. The Alfa 8c is the most beautiful motor I've ever see.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AK99 said:
    Corvette C1, E-type, DB5, Elise S1b
    Interesting - never came across the 'b' suffix on the S1 before, and I thought I was verging on proper Elise anorak level territory at one stage. Can I ask, what's the S1b when it's at home ? 
    Sorry typo. I had a 49er (Gold leaf colours) but tuned to 190bhp
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24705
    Deadman said:
    You utter utter......
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5789
    Not the best looking ever, but if you want a meld of modern and retro styling I think the Morgan Aeromax Coupe is quite beautiful.  It looks like something right out of one of those futuristic comics that's actually set in something like 1955, if you know what I mean?

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29189
    stufisher said:
    The Alfa 8c is the most beautiful motor I've ever see.
    Hard to disagree with the 8C being jolly pretty indeed. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73088
    stufisher said:

The Alfa 8c is the most beautiful motor I've ever see.
    It’s a real shame that so many of these - mostly Italian - designs are ruined by having to have the front number plate tacked on at one side.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    ^ A lot of people use the stick-on number plate on the bonnet .......not sure if that's legal or not but you are totally right - it's a real spoiler
  • I am not into cars so wouldn't have a clue about fancy models, but as I would hold on to a car as long as was possible, I think cars that have aged well, I would consider good looking. Volkswagen I think have managed it with the Golf, special mention for the late 80s, early 90s models, also BMW with the old 316 from the 80s, early 90s. The Audi A4 has aged well too, and the older models don't look very dated.
    When there was more disposable income knocking around and people couldn't get rid of old cars quick enough, I sometimes see these bog standard old cars around, like the Peugeot 205 or Renault 5 or Fiat 500, and they look pretty cool. (maybe hipsterish now)
    But a cool "fancy" car I always liked is this the Mercedes 123 I think the model is?

^ Yep the 3 series BMW E30 was a good looking motor, but I think the E34 is better looking and is probably the most handsome executive saloon ever made, especially in M5 trim.

• @Haych yep, I would drive that now. It still looks cool, though not sure how easy or difficult these cars would be to maintain as a day to day car.
    edited December 2022
    @Haych yep, I would drive that now. It still looks cool, though not sure how easy or difficult these cars would be to maintain as a day to day car.
    I doubt it would be difficult - I already drive a needy old BMW, I can't see one of these being much worse.  Finding one in good condition is the hardest part though.  They've achieved classic status now and finding one that isn't full of tin worm will set you back quite big money.

Edit - if you like everything BMW check out M539 Restorations on YouTube.  Sreten likes finding and restoring old BMWs, and sometimes newer BMWs too.  He's quite entertaining to watch as much as spannering on a car can be.

Brize said:
    GuyR said:
    The regular production 300SL is a much better-looking car, no?
    Not to my eyes. I prefer the skinnier stripped down look. The production 300SL is lovely, of course.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6308
    Dominic said:
    I had a '73 RS identical to the above ,white but the carrera logo and stripe were red , red Fuchs alloys and red interior .
    Is that the crazy-£££ one? I was down at my mechanic where my NSX is on the ramp, and right next to it was a blue Porker being recommissioned. He said was >£250,000 now.

That 300SLR looks so miserable at the front.

(thinks: you can tell the people who like Bigsby trems from the acres of chrome on the cars they have posted!)
    yes......price gone mental in the last 15 years although not as much as the RSR lightweight
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4773
    Dominic said:

Same as me with the 964 Celebration - sold for £17500 and now from around £150K - and the 993C4S - sold for £32000 and now around £85K - and the 996GT3 - sold for £42500 and now around £90K.

But, in the mid eighties, I made an offer on a 73 RS which was accepted - £30K - but my new that week bank manager turned me down and I have never forgiven him.  Even then, it was clear to see where they were going.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    Dominic said:
    Ouch! I’ve had my MGA 30 years, and I would imagine it’s still not worth £14k. I quite often drive it through Hadley Wood.