IK Multimedia TONEX Pedal

What's Hot

Comments

• nick79nick79 Frets: 266
    I’m with you on the infuriating bit. It’s like they’ve purposely made it as maddening as possible. 

Stick with it though, it’s worth it 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22717
    It really is. I'm still not on the pedal, still using Tonex SE. I bought Gig Performer yesterday and have started making up a Stone Roses 1st album chain. 

Tonex for Fuzzface and Tube Screamer
    Audiority Chief Chorus (CE-2) for chorus
    TKdelay for delay
    Tonex Amp and Cab using a Mesa Mk V model. 

Shit me it sounds right for the first album and it's just so much fun. I can't believe I'm getting these sounds with a £100 interface, free Tonex SE, a 19 Euro chorus plugin, and a 20 euro delay plugin. 

And yes the software is shit. I bought three Amalgam capture packs for 40 euros (3for2 offer) and the software keeps losing the cabinet when I stop, turn off, and then come back to it the next day. Grrrr. But the sound, oh the sound... 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22717
    nick79 said:
    Now I’ve finally figured out how to navigate the software/hardware (line 6 makes it’s so easy..) I’m loving this thing. 

Tried the brown face fender pack from Amalgam and the 64 tuxedo Princeton from Tone Junkie and they are superb. I’ll always love my hx stomp but I’ve never been blown away by the amps if I’m honest. Tonex just works when you find the right capture. 

It was the Danish Prince that convinced me. If IK stick with Tonex and iron out the quirks and improve it in the way Line 6 have with Helix, it will be quite something. 

I do find myself liking Tonex for amps and using Helix Native for effects and cabs. Knowing that I'm doing this all digitally and could set something up that would translate to a physical setup of Tonex and HX Stomp with ease is really cool. 

• fnptfnpt Frets: 760
    My Tonex pedal is behaving strangely. 

My rig consists of a GT1000 Core, a Tonex full pedal and a Tonex One. It's being powered by a HB PowerPlant ISO-1 Pro with 8 9v outputs, 500 mA each, total output 2000 mA. 

The Boss needs 670 mA which is why it's being fed with 2 outputs from the HB, the Tonex only requires 370 mA, the Tonex One 120 mA, so I'm fully within the total output capacity of the HB.

Yet the Tonex turns off and on when I press any switch during use. I'm wondering if it's a pedal fault or if the Tonex only wants to be powered by the original power supply. 

I'm concerned I may damage the pedal.

Anyone had a similar problem?
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 1037
    fnpt said:

Short answer
    I use a 3rd party power supply and  not had similar problems. 

Longer answer
    I power mine through a non branded wall wart from amazon shared through a daisy chain adapter. 

It's slightly more noisy than the original at high gain but it's never not worked. 

I have a similar problem to yours on my HX FX and wondering if they are related. 

On the HX FX there is some kind of dry joint or problem with the connection. If I wiggle the power supply at the point of the connection with the unit it will power off and on again.  I first noticed it because it was power cycling when I stomped on a footswitch (sometimes!)

Could there be something similar? Try manually wiggling it and see if that recreate it. 

Mine was out of warranty so my solution was to mount it on a pedal board and clamp the cable down so it doesn't move move even slightly when there is any movement in the unit. 

• champ222champ222 Frets: 35
    fnpt said:

My rig consists of a GT1000 Core, a Tonex full pedal and a Tonex One. It's being powered by a HB PowerPlant ISO-1 Pro with 8 9v outputs, 500 mA each, total output 2000 mA. 

The Boss needs 670 mA which is why it's being fed with 2 outputs from the HB, the Tonex only requires 370 mA, the Tonex One 120 mA, so I'm fully within the total output capacity of the HB.

Yet the Tonex turns off and on when I press any switch during use. I'm wondering if it's a pedal fault or if the Tonex only wants to be powered by the original power supply. 

I'm concerned I may damage the pedal.

If you unplug the Boss, does it work ok then?

I see you have connected the Boss to two outputs. if the outputs are individually regulated, sometimes connecting them in parallel can cause some unusual effects as the load on the regulators isnt always shared equally. It could be causing some strange behaviour in the power supply. 
    edited June 28
    Thanks @relic245 and @champ222
    I've connected the Boss and Tonex individually each with its original power supply and the problem remains.I wiggled the power supply cable at the input of the Tonex and the pedal remains on (no intermittent on or off).

I think I may have a faulty pedal, its one of the very early batches. It's not a major problem as it's controlled via midi from the Boss but still...

____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
    Reported to IK. There’s one another guy in the IK forum with the same problem so it’s mot just me.
    ____
  • VoxsupertwinVoxsupertwin Frets: 341
    edited July 8
    Just acquired a TONEX via the forum, initial impressions are good….registered it, downloaded all the bits and finding my way round the logistics…
    I’ve actually put it in a mono to stereo loop on my Helix Rack, making for a formidable bit of kit …..

Bass sounds are good too ……

now at 77 I only work within my home studio so things are very ‘under control’ with time to think !

happy so far :-)
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5646
    edited July 11
    Dunno why but only just looked at Tonex today in my never ending quest to build a lightweight giggable rig.
    I get option paralysis with multiFX which has held me back from trying Helix so this 'download it and it's pretty much good-to-go' approach is much more up my street, more like my Spark 40 amp.

So... How do you amplify Tonex for jamming/gigging? Not PA, I'm talking amps here. Is a good clean amp ok or is FRFR best to get the true sound of the modelling?
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4903
    DiscoStu said:
    Dunno why but only just looked at Tonex today in my never ending quest to build a lightweight giggable rig.
    I get option paralysis with multiFX which has held me back from trying Helix so this 'download it and it's pretty much good-to-go' approach is much more up my street, more like my Spark 40 amp.

So... How do you amplify Tonex for jamming/gigging? Not PA, I'm talking amps here. Is a good clean amp ok or is FRFR best to get the true sound of the modelling?
    I've got the Tonex pedal. I'm going direct at gigs, getting my monitor sound via the FOH mix from a floor wedge.  I have an FRFR at home (Laney FR-112) which is nice in the room and it's what I'd take to a jam night if going direct wasn't being asked for, or if I knew I'd need my own monitor sound in the room. I've used a rehearsal studio Fender Twin (plugged straight into the guitar input) and that's been fine too. As has my Carr Mercury at a fairly low volume level at home. 
    DiscoStu said:

I bought a floor monitor and it sounds great to me. 

If I was taking it to a jam night I'd mount the monitor on a pole as a mini PA 
    relic245 said:
    DiscoStu said:

I bought a floor monitor and it sounds great to me. 

If I was taking it to a jam night I'd mount the monitor on a pole as a mini PA 
    Something like a Headrush FRFR 108?
  • BrioBrio Frets: 2008
    DiscoStu said:

Depends on whether the capture has a cab baked in or not. I tend to turn cabs off and use my Ox Stomp into an FRFR. Some of my Amalgam captures sound really good with the cab so I turn off the Ox Stomp and run Tonex straight into an FRFR. Not tried an amp yet. Did try the Kemper Powered Kabinet and liked it a lot.
    This is a whole new world of headf*ck, ain't it?  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Well that's it, I've gone an ordered a full fat Tonex pedal.
    The setup sounds like a total bitch but the payoff is hopefully worth it.
    edited July 17
    It's arrived! 
    I haven't gone anywhere near the registering and the software yet, I've just been going through the presets out of the box and it's fantastic! The dimed Plexi is a joy!
    Bearing in mind I'm playing it through my THR10 on 'flat' setting and I'm already grinning, I can't wait to hear it cranked.
    Yip. Reckon it's a keeper alright. Just need to get an FR-10 or FR-12 now for jamming.
  • champ222champ222 Frets: 35
    Has anyone compared an frfr cab against a simple active PA speaker? Or even studio monitors for low volume use. Full range and a pretty flat response... it seems, on paper at least, frfr cabs are just the same thing with "guitar tax" added? Or am I missing something?
    champ222 said:
    Has anyone compared an frfr cab against a simple active PA speaker? Or even studio monitors for low volume use. Full range and a pretty flat response... it seems, on paper at least, frfr cabs are just the same thing with "guitar tax" added? Or am I missing something?
    I haven't directly compared with the tonex but I did with a bkackstar amped 1 and came home with a monitor.

When I switched to tonex I kept it and it sounds awesome to me.
    From what I've read the Fender FR amps aren't completely 'flat' and 'feel' more like a guitar amp in the room, which makes whichever modeller you are using sound even better.
    I was looking at a Headrush wedge but now pretty sold on the Fender FR thing