IK Multimedia TONEX Pedal

What's Hot
1789101113»

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34069
    champ222 said:
    Has anyone compared an frfr cab against a simple active PA speaker? Or even studio monitors for low volume use. Full range and a pretty flat response... it seems, on paper at least, frfr cabs are just the same thing with "guitar tax" added? Or am I missing something?
    You can't really compare classes of device like that.
    It depends which specific device.

A £100 'studio monitor' isn't going to sound as good as a £10k set of studio monitors.
    A cheap PA speaker vs a high end PA speaker.
    A cheap FRFR cab vs an expensive one etc..

Then cross comparing all those- a cheap studio monitor against a high end PA speaker, a high end monitor against a cheap FRFR.

Summary: You get what you pay for.
    I like the modellers through my studio monitors which are Kii Three BXT's and the ATC SCM45A's.
    I don't like them as much through the Neumann KH80's.

Regardless the patches don't always translate as well to a live gig where the PA isn't excellent or I don't have great foldback.
    If we had our own engineers (FOH and stage sound) then I'd be happier using modellers live.
    So I keep using tube amps when I can.

I do use the Tonex- it is on my board for gigs where I get asked to turn the Matchless down to a ridiculously low level and it is pointless using it. I use the Tonex (with a model of my Matchless) and put up with it sounding less than stellar.
    But that isn't due to the Tonex being sub standard,  it is just the reality of having to live with different PA's in different rooms. 

It is just much easier to change a tube amp sound on the fly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JJ72JJ72 Frets: 67
    I'm thinking about getting a ToneX pedal  ( not the small one) but am a technophobe and don't own a PC .
    Can I load models in from my phone on an app?
    Sounds a simple question but quite hard to tell from.a quick Google search 
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4903
    Good question and I'm not 100% positive about the answer, but this is the internet, so... :-) 

I haven't downloaded the iOS app, because I'm trying to avoid Tonex software as much as possible. I only use the macOS version to manage presets on the pedal. The iOS app only seems to support the playing part of Tonex, not the modelling/capture part and not the librarian part. So my guess would be you can't use it to make your own tone model captures and you can't use it to move presets to/from the Tonex pedal. 
  • JJ72JJ72 Frets: 67
    Good question and I'm not 100% positive about the answer, but this is the internet, so... :-) 

I haven't downloaded the iOS app, because I'm trying to avoid Tonex software as much as possible. I only use the macOS version to manage presets on the pedal. The iOS app only seems to support the playing part of Tonex, not the modelling/capture part and not the librarian part. So my guess would be you can't use it to make your own tone model captures and you can't use it to move presets to/from the Tonex pedal. 
    Thanks for the reply and pretty much confirmed what I thought.
    Pedal sounds great in the demos but probably not the right fit for me then
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5646
    edited July 19
    Tried my new Tonex through the FX return on my Blackstar 2x12 combo and it sounds glorious! If the Fender FR-10 I plan buying gives me the same 'thump' I'll be a very happy Disco!

One minor quibble so far though. There is an ever-so-slight delay between pressing a footswitch and the new tone coming through so using it live as a 3 channel amp might require some adjustment to allow for the latency, which is a pity as the only reason I've bought it is for using in my band.

• relic245relic245 Frets: 1037
    DiscoStu said:
    Tried my new Tonex through the FX return on my Blackstar 2x12 combo and it sounds glorious! If the Fender FR-10 I plan buying gives me the same 'thump' I'll be a very happy Disco!

One minor quibble so far though. There is an ever-so-slight delay between pressing a footswitch and the new tone coming through so using it live as a 3 channel amp might require some adjustment to allow for the latency, which is a pity as the only reason I've bought it is for using in my band.

That's weird, I've never noticed a latency.

I'm not saying it's not there, maybe I'm not as sensitive to it as you are.
    DiscoStu said:

For me, it feels almost instantaneous when I change. I'm using MIDI commands to select presets, not the footswitches. Have you noticed that the footswitches can be set globally to activate on release or on press? Could that be a factor for you? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    DiscoStu said:

For me, it feels almost instantaneous when I change. I'm using MIDI commands to select presets, not the footswitches. Have you noticed that the footswitches can be set globally to activate on release or on press? Could that be a factor for you? 
    No didn't know that. I can't imagine that it's set to 'release' mode out of the box but it's possible.
    I mean it's a tiny delay but going from clean to high gain the high gain didn't come straight in, it was slightly behind my picking so I need to press the switch slightly ahead of the beat which could get annoying. 
    It's the reason I can't use my Spark amp with the band, there is a noticeable pause while it loads the new preset.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Well well! It IS set to 'release' as standard, as I can bank up and down with the footswitches.

I would never have known that, cheers @TheBigDipper  ; :)
    DiscoStu said:
    Well well! It IS set to 'release' as standard, as I can bank up and down with the footswitches.

I would never have known that, cheers @TheBigDipper  ; :)
    You're welcome…
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10166
    Metal Gems pack of tonex calories currently free on Audio Plugin Deals

https://audioplugin.deals/product/tonex-metal-gems-collection-by-ik-multimedia/
    Taking part in 1000 Lights - raising money for Uprawr Mental Health Foundation
    https://www.justgiving.com/page/pianomatt-1000lights
  • adaminoadamino Frets: 128

Just bought a used one that is unregistered so I'm really looking forward to that.

I tried the tonex standalone software through Audient id 14 into my Marshall Origin 50c fx return with the cab IR'S off and was blown away
    Metal Gems pack of tonex calories currently free on Audio Plugin Deals

https://audioplugin.deals/product/tonex-metal-gems-collection-by-ik-multimedia/
    Just downloaded it, cheers.
    Well I say 'just', it's taken me a couple of days to figure out where it is and how to access it after I completed checkout. I had to watch a YouTube video to work out what to do.
    This IK ecosystem is a bit shit huh?
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1579
    Yep, mine arrived yesterday, the ui is wank, the mac interface is also wank. I had to watch YouTube video to work it out also.
  • dangriffithsdangriffiths Frets: 598
    Saving grace is it stops you tinkering all the time because it isn't that pleasant an experience. I have left it on a Benson Chimera and am happy with that and pedals.
    I'm planning new board..

Kernom ridge in the loop of an h90.

Cab sim disabled on tonex. H90 pre and post with the tonex then that into my opus cab sim...into laney lfr 2x12
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4100
    Having previously used HX Edit, I wanted to punch my laptop into oblivion when trying to use the IK software, but now I just listen to the samples, load if I like one, and tweak to taste on the pedal - I use the One with two amps loaded into the A/B set up. At present I’ve got a clean Tone King and a dirty AC30 set up and I’m way happier with the sounds than I ever was with HX.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10166
    edited July 25
    I've only got the free version that came with Amplitube to be honest and haven't really tried it much though it does interest me - have messed around with Two Notes Genome to use with NAM profiles moreso instead. I find HX Edit (and by extension Helix Native) to be a really frustrating and unintuitive interface so maybe my stupid brain might actually prefer the Tonex software?!
    Taking part in 1000 Lights - raising money for Uprawr Mental Health Foundation
    https://www.justgiving.com/page/pianomatt-1000lights
    nero1701 said:
    I'm planning new board..

Cab sim disabled on tonex. H90 pre and post with the tonex then that into my opus cab sim...into laney lfr 2x12
    Interested in how you get on, because I'm running something similar (Ridge/Tonex/H90 and a Laney LFR-112) plus an ES-5 that I'd love to drop for something smaller and lighter.  

If I've understood you correctly, that path might not be possible. IIRC, if you run the H90 in "insert" mode then the two in/outs are insert loops for the one H90 signal path. If you run it in "dual mode" (what Strymon calls "pre/post") then you can have two signal paths but no inserts. I run my H90 in dual mode and sometimes have two presets on one path and the other path is empty. 

So I don't think you'll be able to put the Ridge in the H90 loop. Or have I misunderstood something? 
    nero1701 said:
    I'm planning new board..

Interested in how you get on, because I'm running something similar (Ridge/Tonex/H90 and a Laney LFR-112) plus an ES-5 that I'd love to drop for something smaller and lighter.  

If I've understood you correctly, that path might not be possible. IIRC, if you run the H90 in "insert" mode then the two in/outs are insert loops for the one H90 signal path. If you run it in "dual mode" (what Strymon calls "pre/post") then you can have two signal paths but no inserts. I run my H90 in dual mode and sometimes have two presets on one path and the other path is empty. 

So I don't think you'll be able to put the Ridge in the H90 loop. Or have I misunderstood something? 
    I think you are correct. So it will be minus the kernom in the loop. I've a morningstar as the controller