IK Multimedia TONEX Pedal

What's Hot

Comments

• fnpt said:

That's exactly the Plexi model I got. Sounds good, but haven't had the time to explore it yet. The V Super, however, is the best Fender type capture I've tried. It's great. Tune your Tele to open G and it's instant Stones.
    I downloaded the V Super the other night - not usually my type of amp by a long stretch. I spent a good hour with just this capture and had the most fun I’ve had on guitar in a while.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3325
    edited September 2023
    had mine 3 days... its going back it sounds tiny fizzy and weak and thats thro monitors/cab/FRFR.  Not impressed
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • had mine 3 days... its going back it sounds tiny fizzy and weak and thats thro monitors/cab/FRFR.  Not impressed
    Did you alter the input trim in the global settings?
  • had mine 3 days... its going back it sounds tiny fizzy and weak and thats thro monitors/cab/FRFR.  Not impressed
    I did but just didnt like the sound even then
    I did but just didnt like the sound even then
    If you were judging it on the factory captures on the device then I can totally understand your first impressions of it. The factory captures really don’t sound good. I thought the same as you. Then I started exploring ToneNet and found some really great captures from other users. Then I found Amalagam Audio captures and they were in a different league.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1907
    Plus 1 for Amalgam. Try a few of their free samples.
    I bet you connected via USB, opened up the software on your computer and then played, thinking it's really fizzy and shit sounding.  You are playing an amp (your Tonex Pedal) through an amp (in the software) resulting in a mess.  You need to bypass the pedal by pressing the active preset footswitch again.

This is all over the interwebs.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sorbz62 said:
    had mine 3 days... its going back it sounds tiny fizzy and weak and thats thro monitors/cab/FRFR.  Not impressed
    I bet you connected via USB, opened up the software on your computer and then played, thinking it's really fizzy and shit sounding.  You are playing an amp (your Tonex Pedal) through an amp (in the software) resulting in a mess.  You need to bypass the pedal by pressing the active preset footswitch again.

This is all over the interwebs.
    sadly no i wasnt...but thanks
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrahamGGrahamG Frets: 87
    Right I’ve bought the Plexi pack from Amalgam and it’s like night and day now. These are really really good captures. They sound great through a power amp and cab setup. 

It’s a shame as he doesn’t have any high gain amps on there. I’ve tried free samples from other providers but again they’re really poor yet charging money for them 
    If you don't mind me asking,Which power amp & cab do you use ?
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2754
    Couple of questions for anyone using the tonex...

What's it like for adjusting presets away from the computer?
      eg using the knobs or can I adjust presets using an app  (iphone or ipad)?     If I have 3 sounds in it and I want to adjust them slightly it can be a pain on some units comparing the sounds

How smooth is it changing between presets?       Any noticeable gaps or glitchy sounds that are annoying live?
  • Adjusting presets on the pedal itself is pretty straight forward. The knobs on the top of the pedal adjust the main parameters, some have secondary functions accessed by holding down the Alt knob.

There is no app and you can’t edit presets via computer on the pedal itself. The software is more like a librarian for the pedal. So more for organising and re-naming presets.

You have to transfer the presets from the pedal into the software, edit them then transfer it back to the pedal. So it’s a bit of a faff. 

Changing between presets is seamless.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Adjusting presets on the pedal itself is pretty straight forward. The knobs on the top of the pedal adjust the main parameters, some have secondary functions accessed by holding down the Alt knob.

There is no app and you can’t edit presets via computer on the pedal itself. The software is more like a librarian for the pedal. So more for organising and re-naming presets.

You have to transfer the presets from the pedal into the software, edit them then transfer it back to the pedal. So it’s a bit of a faff. 

Changing between presets is seamless.
    Thanks -  now to decide whether to get a tonex or two notes opus.   
  • Unless I'm missing something, one thing that both of them seem to lack is the ability to insert post-gain FX between the preamp and the cab emulation, in the same way as you would do on "real" amplification using the FX-loop. The Boss IR-200 can do this, although it's a modeler only, not a profiler.
  • Unless I'm missing something, one thing that both of them seem to lack is the ability to insert post-gain FX between the preamp and the cab emulation, in the same way as you would do on "real" amplification using the FX-loop. The Boss IR-200 can do this, although it's a modeler only, not a profiler.
    Putting post-gain effects after the pedal achieves the same result. It’s just taking the approach as you would in a recording studio, where effects are added using the signal from the mic’d up cab.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Unless I'm missing something, one thing that both of them seem to lack is the ability to insert post-gain FX between the preamp and the cab emulation, in the same way as you would do on "real" amplification using the FX-loop. The Boss IR-200 can do this, although it's a modeler only, not a profiler.
    Putting post-gain effects after the pedal achieves the same result. It’s just taking the approach as you would in a recording studio, where effects are added using the signal from the mic’d up cab.
    Yes and that's fine for me - I just want 3 amps and reverb, I don't need any effects just switching between 3 gain and volume settings.
    Who are we finding the best for consistently good amp presets?  
    Quickly realised the stock models are all terrible, I’ve waded through a bunch of the free presets on tonenet and they are a bit hit and miss - amalgam seem very good so I’ll send them some money and buy a couple of packs. 
    Anyone else worth looking at - mainly interested in mid and high gain Marshall’s.  

• John_P said:
    Quickly realised the stock models are all terrible, I’ve waded through a bunch of the free presets on tonenet and they are a bit hit and miss - amalgam seem very good so I’ll send them some money and buy a couple of packs. 
    Anyone else worth looking at - mainly interested in mid and high gain Marshall’s.  

Amalgam all the way. Once I found them no other captures compared. Their Marshall packs feature a full range of gain levels. JT50 & SB100 packs were my favourite.
    John_P said:

Amalgam all the way. Once I found them no other captures compared. Their Marshall packs feature a full range of gain levels. JT50 & SB100 packs were my favourite.
    Thanks,  bought both those and the jcm800 pack.

Interestingly my initial impression with the tonex is a better sound using a higher gain version of a preset rather than adjusting the gain on the unit.    The eq is looking much more useful when editing if I want a slight change in the sound.   Are you finding the same or do I need to spend more time with it?
  • The input trim is the most important parameter on the pedal. It’s a global setting so it’s a set and forget parameter. The gain control on the pedal does the same thing and can be saved per preset.

The problem with the Tonex captures is there is no way to tell the optimum setting for the Input Trim, in order to have the capture to have the correct amount of gain as the vendor intended. So it’s trial and error and there is a lot of guess work involved.

Thats why gain levels on captures on ToneNet are all over the place. I played through captures listed as clean which through my setup sounded like medium crunch, like wise I played through crunch profiles which sounded crystal clean through my setup. Everything hinges on what the original levels were when the creator made the capture and where the input trim needs to be set to achieve the sound the creator originally captured.

Amalgam advised me via email to set the input trim for their profiles to +8.5, which I think is the stock factory setting on the pedal.

Jason Sadites recommends you set the input trim from anywhere from 0 to -3 when using his captures for them to sound as he intended.

He has done extensive videos on YouTube explaining all of this, much better than me I might add, as well as comparing the input trim and the gain control on the Tonex pedal, he came to the conclusion they effectively do the same thing.

This alone caused me so much frustration I had to move on from Tonex. 

I’m back on Kemper now and I have none of these issues.

The new Tonocracy software released by Atomic amps actually addresses the Tonex capture level issues and has an auto setting to compensate for different input levels when using their capture tech. So the capture you download and experience on your setup is exactly how the vendor intended it to sound. I don’t see why Tonex couldn’t implement something similar into their ecosystem.
  • Just ordered one of these from Amazon on their Black Friday deal for £303. Looking forward to seeing what it can do