IK Multimedia TONEX Pedal

What's Hot

Comments

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2496
    Wow, maybe I shouldn't have also upgraded my audio interface at the same time as getting the ToneX capture. Seems to be making everything a lot more complicated.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • adaminoadamino Frets: 130
    edited August 19

So i was looking onto this Input trim info on the web and came across this guy called Jason Sadites who sells captures and recommended the input trim at -3db.I gave it a try for a day and it sounded really piss week,reminded me of drinking non alcoholic beer.

Did the +8.5 thingy bob as recommended by Amalgam with Amalgam captures and  now I'm back to normality and slept well last night. 

I personally think that the Amalgam captures are the best ones so far.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Anyone been able to use a Boss Tube Amp Expander when doing a capture? I've tried all kinds of combinations, and I just get severe whistling etc.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25278
    adamino said:

So i was looking onto this Input trim info on the web and came across this guy called Jason Sadites who sells captures and recommended the input trim at -3db.I gave it a try for a day and it sounded really piss week,reminded me of drinking non alcoholic beer.

Did the +8.5 thingy bob as recommended by Amalgam with Amalgam captures and  now I'm back to normality and slept well last night. 

What guitar are you using? With singles or humbuckers?

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1196
    edited August 19
    adamino said:

Jason seems to go against what IK suggest when creating captures with how he sets his levels. Hence why he recommends setting the input trim to -3db. That is specifically for his captures that he sells on his website. For most other vendors +8.5db seems to be about right.
  • adaminoadamino Frets: 130
    adamino said:

What guitar are you using? With singles or humbuckers?
    Humbuckers ....................always
    This is doing my head right in; I want to capture my amps at 'high power' by using my Tube Amp Expander, but no matter what I try, I get a horrible, squealing mess.

I've tried the TAE going after the amp and before the ToneX Capture device, and also the ToneX Capture after the amp going into the TAE as a loadbox - both end up squealing.

Has anyone managed to get this working? This kit is going to be returned if I can't get things sorted!
  • FarleyUK said:
    This is doing my head right in; I want to capture my amps at 'high power' by using my Tube Amp Expander, but no matter what I try, I get a horrible, squealing mess.

I've tried the TAE going after the amp and before the ToneX Capture device, and also the ToneX Capture after the amp going into the TAE as a loadbox - both end up squealing.

Has anyone managed to get this working? This kit is going to be returned if I can't get things sorted!
    Sorry I can’t help with this, I’ve not actually captured anything thus far. I think Pete Thorn might have an in depth video on his YouTube channel on how to capture. I’m sure Jason Sadites does as well.
    Are the Amalgam free ones any good, or do hey save the good stuff for the paid packs?

FarleyUK said:

OK, I *think* I've cracked it....!

For anyone else having issues, here's the setup:

Guitar -> EVO16 Input 1
    EVO16 Output 3 (SET TO DAW THROUGH!) -> ToneX Capture Line Input
    ToneX Capture To Amp -> Amp input
    ToneX Capture Line Output -> EVO16 input 2
    Amp Speaker out -> TAE Speaker in
    TAE Mono line out -> ToneX Capture From Amp (set to LINE level)

No speaker out from the Capture box. Also disabled the IRs in the TAE so I capture just the amp itself.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2763
    Are the Amalgam free ones any good, or do hey save the good stuff for the paid packs?

Yes he just picks one of the captures in the pack an uploads it to tonenet.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10260
    I feel like they just need to merge the main screen with the Librarian tab so you can edit the preset on the device itself via the software - rather than having to edit a preset using guesswork and then sending it via a separate tab to the device to find you need to change it again. I think that would solve most problems?

I've not yet found a way to edit the compressor/gate/reverb options on the unit itself other than the one "alternative parameter"  they allow you, so can't change from spring to plate reverb, you have to load the preset up on the PC, guess at how you want them set, and then put it back on the pedal to test it out, rinse and repeat. Also don't think you can swap the comp/eq between pre or post on the unit itself?

If you could just edit the pedal via the software that would certainly seem to me to be the quickest most effective change to make
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
    Mine seems to be really noisy the last couple days I've been playing it, again you can't do much with the gate on the pedal so I've not had time to dick about with the noise gate in the presets on the app to get it working right. I watched an Amalgam video where he says you always need the Noise Gate on which seems a bit disappointing for thsoe of us who play quite softly as the quiter sounds just get cut off when I do play and I can still hear the crackling when I'm playing so seems a bit pointless
  • Mine seems to be really noisy the last couple days I've been playing it, again you can't do much with the gate on the pedal so I've not had time to dick about with the noise gate in the presets on the app to get it working right. I watched an Amalgam video where he says you always need the Noise Gate on which seems a bit disappointing for thsoe of us who play quite softly as the quiter sounds just get cut off when I do play and I can still hear the crackling when I'm playing so seems a bit pointless
    The guy that does the Amalgam videos mentions regularly that he uses the noise gate as his studio is noisy. I never use the noise gate as I’ve never felt like noise is excessive on my pedal. That’s using all levels of gain on the Amalgam captures and other vendors.
    Dare I ask.... what IRs are you all using? Or are you using the VIRs in the software?
  • I have found that the easiest way is to connect the pedal to your PC in "interface" mode (through operation in global settings); make sure that the particular patch on the pedal is disabled by pressing the footswitch again (the light then flashes) else you have 2 profiles running in series. You can keep the pedal connected to your FRFR or whatever speaker system that you use and simply load profiles from the software on your computer, edit them as you wish and hear them through your pedal into your speaker system. You can of course edit from the pedal but I think that is more difficult - although I find the presence and depth controls to be both useful and easy to use from the pedal.

You can then save the altered profile on your PC and load it onto the pedal, already knowing how it sounds through your system.....

I think that the easiest way to look at the pedal is like a box containing your profiles rather than a separate modelling unit, although of course you can change parameters on it. Anyway that approach works for me!
    Didn't know that about pressing the switch, it may well be in the manual but I found it incredibly dull so I just skipped bits until i could find that you can't really edit the non-capture things
  • FarleyUK said:
    Dare I ask.... what IRs are you all using? Or are you using the VIRs in the software?
    I like the IR’s that Amalgam provide in their packs, those are my go to. Either those or York Audio.
    FarleyUK said:
    I've not really bothered messing around with those yet as it seems more hassle than it's worth when it already sounds adequate and like an amp (notwithstanding my noise interference again)
    John_P said:

Yes he just picks one of the captures in the pack an uploads it to tonenet.  
    I just downloaded all his free ones I liked the look of and found a couple of excellent Mesa ones that are really close to both my Helix and my old proper Dual Rec.

Nice!

I've found a decent Ampeg SVT-CL patch too, so my initial aim of a do it all lounge rig is coming along.

Bit of a shame that the onboard compressor is a bit crap for bass. Needs more parameters.