The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    And then Bottas goes and proves us all wrong by claiming pole!
    Yeah, good on him. LH was ahead right up until the last corner... then lost a couple of tenths in that lairy moment.
    I can’t see anyone troubling the Mercs later really.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12527
    simonk said:
    Yeah, good on him. LH was ahead right up until the last corner... then lost a couple of tenths in that lairy moment.
    Unless Max goes kamikaze and wipes out the front rows in the first corner  =)
  • boogieman said:
    simonk said:
    I lolled. 

And this is part of why I'd rather have Danny Ric on my team than Max. Sure Max is 1% quicker when he's properly on it - I don't think that's in question. But he hasn't got that 1% extra mental thing that's seen Ricciardo get great results when all around him are binning it. It's the old Prost/Senna thing again.  Having said that, it'd be a tragedy if they don't end up with a title or two each.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    boogieman said:
    simonk said:
    I hope a few risks are taken here and there... it would be good to end the season with an unpredictable race. Kimi for the win perhaps.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Hamilton gets revenge on Vettel by taking him out in the first corner leaving Bottas to claim the win and second place in the championship.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12527
    boogieman said:
    simonk said:
    I lolled. 

And this is part of why I'd rather have Danny Ric on my team than Max. Sure Max is 1% quicker when he's properly on it - I don't think that's in question. But he hasn't got that 1% extra mental thing that's seen Ricciardo get great results when all around him are binning it. It's the old Prost/Senna thing again.  Having said that, it'd be a tragedy if they don't end up with a title or two each.
    He's very young don't forget, and he probably still wants to prove he's got massive balls. I think he'll get a title at some point too.

I'd love DR to get one too because he's a great racer and seems a genuinely nice guy. Don't think it'll be with Red Bull though, I can see him at Ferrari once Kimi gets pensioned off. 
    Fretwired said:
    Hamilton gets revenge on Vettel by taking him out in the first corner leaving Bottas to claim the win and second place in the championship.
    That works for me =)
    The look on Vettel’s face would be priceless.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7768
    You don't get away with that kind of thing unless you are Ferrari
    Red ones are better. 
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1349
    boogieman said:
    simonk said:
    I lolled. 

Vettel has a dubious mentality and he won 4 whilst Webber, often faster, failed.  

I think Max has a sensible enough head to know how to win a championship when the opportunity eventually presents itself, and a bit of driver coaching is easy, compared with the impossible task of finding that last 0.01% of raw pace which so few drivers have.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Well, it’s all pretty meh so far. Grosjean’s had some fun, though.

• Yeah, though there's been more action at turn 11 (my "usual" spot) than in the last 2 years I went together. 

Still not minding saving 300 quid a head...
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3967
    Just remembered why I quit watching F1. What a load of crap.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5012
    Was always a dead rubber after Mexico, that being said its not the most conducive circuit for entertainment. Looks fab though and its great to ride your bike around....

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

edited November 2017
    Anyone see the interview with Ross Brawn? His ideas for F1 are spot on for me - bigger, noisy turbo engines with energy recovery that's under the control of the driver not a computer programme, going for ground effect instead of wing-based downforce to make it easier to overtake and sleek sexy looking cars that weigh a lot less than the current models. It that happens today's track could be one of the best on the calendar.

This sort of thing .... advanced Renault concept

McLaren

As it is Hamilton got into DRS range with Bottas but couldn't overtake. Boring race ...

• @Fretwired I didn't see the Brawn comments, but he's spot on if that's what he said (hardly a surprise). Did they show any of the concept pictures he's supposedly been showing people this week? 

My only concern with ground effect is what happens when the "seal" is broken, going over big curbs, or bumping into another car. Obviously that'd mean loss of grip, which could be dangerous, but assuming they will study that properly in comparison to today's car dynamics then I'm all for it.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5012
    edited November 2017
    Yeah been saying ground effect needs to return for a while, it would improve the racing. Also the ERS needs to be driver controlled the current system is ridiculous. They should increase the drama, like Newey said recently, bring back the gladiators!

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1349

Kind of a weird one, didn't expect they would do that, but not a game-breaker I suppose.

R.e the ers.  I don't really like it.  It's a bit like a driver aid, a traction control system almost.  The car doesn't deliver full power through the pedal alone, and I'm not really in favour of that.  I don't like that they have to drive in a certain style to recover power, almost like Formula E.  To me, if the system demands that then it just proves the flaws in the system.  I suppose I'd prefer lower peak output, and no need to adjust driving style to conserve power, and deployment is purely controlled by accelerator pedal position.
    @Fretwired I didn't see the Brawn comments, but he's spot on if that's what he said (hardly a surprise). Did they show any of the concept pictures he's supposedly been showing people this week? 

My only concern with ground effect is what happens when the "seal" is broken, going over big curbs, or bumping into another car. Obviously that'd mean loss of grip, which could be dangerous, but assuming they will study that properly in comparison to today's car dynamics then I'm all for it.
    Yep .. there were some concept cars from Red Bull and other companies. He said the changes would attract some major car manufacturers. He also said they  would be focused on hyper cars and edge of the seat entertainment.

Kind of ironic that, in the very last race with the Honda engine, both McLaren’s made it to the end of the race without going pop!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Kubica is testing for Williams at Abu Dhabi tomorrow morning, according to the BBC.