The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Raikkonen is gone then.....
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7004
    Looks like.  And just like that, the World Champion content of next year’s grid dropped by 50%.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    PC_Dave said:
    Williams could do with his help in developing the car .. won't happen though.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Fretwired said:
    PC_Dave said:
    Williams could do with his help in developing the car .. won't happen though.
    Williams could do with lots of things but they won't be paying anybody to drive their cars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lewismlewism Frets: 250
    Fretwired said:
    Cols said:
    Latest rumour is that Kvyat and Buemi are being lined up for a return to Toro Rosso.  I guess the pickings from the Red Bull Young Driver Programme are looking a bit slim.
    It's a shame as it looks like George Russell is going to miss out on an F1 seat next year. His links to Mercedes are putting teams off. Wolff isn't happy - he's trying Williams but Claire wants a paying driver as funds are low.

It’s a real shame, I saw him race in the F2 support race at the Silverstone GP where he started out of position and came through the pack. He was more impressive than Norris for me, and he was pretty good.
    With LeClerc all but confirmed for Ferrari, the latest is that Kimi will switch to Sauber and acquire part ownership of the team.

Apparently he has too much money.
    Cols said:
    With LeClerc all but confirmed for Ferrari, the latest is that Kimi will switch to Sauber and acquire part ownership of the team.

Apparently he has too much money.
    A paying driver ... ;-)

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27000
    edited September 2018
    It's official. Hope he gets one last win before the end of the season.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/raikkonen-to-step-down-ferrari-after-2018-f1-season/3174736/
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1442
    It's official. Hope he gets one last win before the end of the season.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/raikkonen-to-step-down-ferrari-after-2018-f1-season/3174736/
    +1.  He won't ever be getting one in a Sauber.
  • Thought: Kimi to Sauber. Easy exchange if Leclerc cocks up in the first half of the season? 

• Thought: Kimi to Sauber. Easy exchange if Leclerc cocks up in the first half of the season? 
    I guess so. That’s fucking dull though. 

I’m starting to wonder whether we’ve reached then end of teams taking risks on drivers. 

Just hope someone non-shit gets the other Sauber seat.
    Thought: Kimi to Sauber. Easy exchange if Leclerc cocks up in the first half of the season? 
    I was thinking the same.  Leclerc is seen as a bit of a gamble, and I suspect Ferrari want to keep Kimi in play in case it all goes tits up.
    Cols said:
    Thought: Kimi to Sauber. Easy exchange if Leclerc cocks up in the first half of the season? 
    I was thinking the same.  Leclerc is seen as a bit of a gamble, and I suspect Ferrari want to keep Kimi in play in case it all goes tits up.
    Maurizio Arrivabene had his hand forced as Leclerc had a contract to replace Kimi from former Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne who made the decision. The Ferrari board decided to honour the contract out of respect.

I think Leclerc is a risk and if he doesn't do well there could be a swap with Kimi.

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1302
    LeClerc isn't a risk, he's just green.  Nobody will expect him to beat Vettel any more than Kimi couldn't, but if you'd watched him in F2/GP2 whatever they call it now, you'd know why Ferrari are prepared to give him a chance.

This is what you want the big teams to do; not get some safe top 4 driver to be a dutiful number 2, but try to find the next Hamilton.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I can't see Vettel being happy that LeClerc has been given the seat, he knows he usually has Kimi comfortably in his pocket most of the time. Last time he came up against a new young hot shot, Danny Ric, Danny beat him fair and square in the same car. There were some mitigating factors but Vettel wasn't happy. 

LeClerc could quite feasibly beat him as he has everything to prove.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• LeClerc is clearly one of the bright lights of the next generation - he’s been smashing Ericsson all season. The only question is whether he’s the next Massa or the next Vettel
  • Well if Vettel has his way (which he might!) it'll be Massa all over again!! Although if that's the case all he has to do is look good and outpace Vettel occasionally, bide his time and then he'll be number one once Vettel gets bounced. 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    Sad to say that i have got so bored with the whole F1 thing that I don't give a shit anymore.  Kimi and Ricciardo are the only two with any real personality and talent to thrill and they seem to be going backwards now.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    rlw said:
    Sad to say that i have got so bored with the whole F1 thing that I don't give a shit anymore.  Kimi and Ricciardo are the only two with any real personality and talent to thrill and they seem to be going backwards now.
    I'm the exact opposite. In 10-20 years time people will be talking about 2018 like they talk about 1986 now. Its a classic season in a new golden era.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Garthy said:
    rlw said:
    I'm the exact opposite. In 10-20 years time people will be talking about 2018 like they talk about 1986 now. Its a classic season in a new golden era.
    Agreed. Best season for quite some time I think.