The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 557
    pigface said:
    Fretwired said:
    It's dumb to come to Nuremberg in October. It has been known to snow. Sunday's race should be interesting as the track will be cold and there's a chance of rain.
    Nürburg. Nuremberg is a different place.

Rally driving I think there, yes?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    HerrMetal said:
    pigface said:
    Fretwired said:
    It's dumb to come to Nuremberg in October. It has been known to snow. Sunday's race should be interesting as the track will be cold and there's a chance of rain.

Rally driving I think there, yes?
    And trials...!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    pigface said:
    Fretwired said:
    :-). Freudian slip ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • pigfacepigface Frets: 213
    Fretwired said:
    :-). Freudian slip ...

Ha :-). Easy mistake-a da make-a! I live quite close to the Nürburgring, although the only GP I've been to there was the European in 2007. It was wild ... heavy rain at the start. Chaos ensued. I seem to remember Scott Speed going past us backwards at about 200 km/h. We got soaked, but the sun came out shortly thereafter and all was well :-)
    Does Stroll have Covid? He's apparently ill but his side of the garage is also empty so maybe his engineers are being tested/isolating.

• ColsCols Frets: 7727
    Fretwired said:
    Does Stroll have Covid? He's apparently ill but his side of the garage is also empty so maybe his engineers are being tested/isolating.
    Hulkenberg is on standby... but difficult if Stroll’s support crew are isolating.
    Ferrari offer engines to Red Bull .. didn't see that coming.

Fretwired said:
    They offered them before, during one of Red Bull’s frequent spats with Renault.  Unfortunately the engine they offered was the previous year’s spec.
    Stroll out, Hulk in.
  • Fretwired said:
    Well, Ferrari will try anything to slow their rivals down...  :)
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cols said:
    Fretwired said:
    They offered them before, during one of Red Bull’s frequent spats with Renault.  Unfortunately the engine they offered was the previous year’s spec.
    Last years Ferrari engine is probably a good option.

Villeneuve believes that Stroll should still be racing this weekend, even if he can’t keep the contents of his digestive system in the right place.

Unlike the unfortunate Stroll, Villeneuve is full of shit.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/jacques-villeneuve-unwell-lance-stroll/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    I can't imagine anyone is remotely interested in what comes out of Villeneuve's gob these days.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4268
    I can't imagine anyone is remotely interested in what comes out of Villeneuve's gob these days.
    He is also a fine one to talk about car domination etc, when he drove the Williams it was probably overall the best in the field
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    sweepy said:
    He is also a fine one to talk about car domination etc, when he drove the Williams it was probably overall the best in the field
    Yup.

And while we're on the subject of has-beens gobbing off, Coulthard is getting worse with his criticisms. At least Mark Webber is kind of funny.

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4268
    Coulthard stays very on message and always backs up Red Bull whenever he can, tongue firmly in Helmuts arse
    I haven't seen the C4 coverage in a while. I did enjoy Rosberg talking to Sainz after the race though. 

Nico: "You said you were struggling with graining throughout the second half - that means your upgrades don't give you enough front end grip, right?"

Carlos: "Errr... we don't want people to know that! It'll be fine once we understand it..." 

:D 

I don't dislike Ant, DiResta and Chandhock but Rosberg is really good with analysis of how drivers do certain things for certain reasons (usually tyre-heat-related) and is happy to be really blunt with drivers pushing on those technical things that most presenters wouldn't know to push on. 
    I haven't seen the C4 coverage in a while. I did enjoy Rosberg talking to Sainz after the race though. 

Nico: "You said you were struggling with graining throughout the second half - that means your upgrades don't give you enough front end grip, right?"

Carlos: "Errr... we don't want people to know that! It'll be fine once we understand it..." 

I don't dislike Ant, DiResta and Chandhock but Rosberg is really good with analysis of how drivers do certain things for certain reasons (usually tyre-heat-related) and is happy to be really blunt with drivers pushing on those technical things that most presenters wouldn't know to push on. 

I watched on Sky TV Now. I loved the quick comparison between Bottas and Rosberg when they raced against Hamilton as teammates. Roughly a similar time period and number of races. Rosberg was in a different league - a far better racer than often given credit for IMHO.

Fretwired said:

I watched on Sky TV Now. I loved the quick comparison between Bottas and Rosberg when they raced against Hamilton as teammates. Roughly a similar time period and number of races. Rosberg was in a different league - a far better racer than often given credit for IMHO.
    Yep. Those stats are really damning and you could see Nico trying to be nice while basically knowing Bottas isn't in the same league. 

Rosberg is hugely underrated by most imo. He took the most successful driver in F1 history to the wire in 2 championships and beat him in 1. That's an achievement none of Hamilton's other teammates managed - Alonso was only beaten on countback in 2007 and Button beat him in 2011, but neither beat him to a title.

If Mercedes had hired Hulk or Heidfeld instead of Lewis I think Rosberg would be at least a 3-time champ and could've utterly dominated either of those two. Obviously we can't be sure because obviously Lewis & Nico pushed each other very hard in a way that those drivers probably wouldn't have managed. 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5214
    You're forgetting one important factor though, Nico is still a bellend and the reality is he won his title purely as Hamilton suffered an engine failure whilst leading the Malaysian GP, an unusual engine failure for Mercedes as well at the time. There were also other points dropped by Lewis due to mechanical issues that year, but the reality is that one win in Malaysia would've comfortably handed the title to Lewis. Rosberg is the epitome of "won the title as he was in the best car", he's not and never will be classed as a great racer, neither is he hugely underrated either, he just is a racing driver who made it to F1. He's not even in the same league as Vettel. He ran Lewis closely purely because he was in the same car.

In reality he's the same as Jensen, lucky to win the title, decent around a track but in terms of the greats wouldn't warrant more than a paragraph. Alonso, Senna, Schumacher, Hakkinen, Hamilton, Prost, Lauda et al. will be remembered with great reverence, Nico won't.

I'll agree on one fact, he is better than Bottas for sure. 

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom